Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EARTHQUAKES!!!

Default Re: EARTHQUAKES!!!

Well now with mothy gone we have a new vacancy spot for the forum's most prominent alcoholic, so you can claim all his left over strong zeros if you like.

I think I fit that bill pretty nicely. But, is he gone for good? I wouldn't want him resurrected and see me taking his place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I think I fit that bill pretty nicely. But, is he gone for good? I wouldn't want him resurrected and see me taking his place.
    If you can mspaint a self-portrait with bear arms, you're in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I hear he's watching your maple syrup folder very closely.
    I'm not ready to die though!

Gah! My Facebook feed is filled with people who believe that the beached dolphins are a sign of the end of days. Good grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Good grief.
    I demand you change your avatar to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

So I could have nightmares eventually leading to me jumping off a building?
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gah! My Facebook feed is filled with people who believe that the beached dolphins are a sign of the end of days. Good grief.
    word

This sorta crap annoys me to no end. I hope they're right, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    word

This sorta crap annoys me to no end. I hope they're right, though.
    Because I gather that, as much as you seem to enjoy the internet that you really at heart want to live as a survivalist in the forest?

EDIT: I ask because our previous zombie apocalypse discussions.
    Last edited by johnny; April 14th, 2015 at 17:08.

Because I gather that, as much as you seem to enjoy the internet that you really at heart want to live as a survivalist in the forest?

EDIT: I ask because our previous zombie apocalypse discussions.
    Pretty much. While I feel it might be initially stressful and annoying, I would probably be a lot happier in the long run.

I'm a realist, though; I play the odds. I'll probably die in the early days of said apocalypse... if not on the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

It's so frustrating because the unscientific bullshit about disasters gets so much more attention than the real stuff. It was impossible for me to find any solid information via English-language sources about my local area in the aftermath of 3/11.

I learned first hand how "news" organizations manipulate data to make stories too. According to all of the news broadcasts at that time, my entire city was practically wiped off the map. So when CNN asked for email interviews, I volunteered and gave a realistic description of my situation on the ground: my apartment was fine, I had electricity but no gas or water, there was no major earthquake damage in my immediate area, everyone had been standing in line patiently to buy food, I even got drinks from vending machines, etc. Basically things were pretty darn good considering. I also explained that most of the city is actually quite far from the ocean since the map spans from the coast to the mountains.

What did she report? I was a brave American struggling to survive and had resorted to scavenging from vending machines for sustenance. It was disgusting and I refused to do a followup interview. And the sad thing is, people kept angrily saying that the Japanese news couldn't be trusted because they downplayed "how bad things really were". Which is true, to some extent, but I think I prefer that over a deluge of fear-mongering bullshit. There are still people who are afraid that Japan, especially northern Japan, has become a radioactive wasteland. It's such a shame.

But to answer your question: earthquakes happen every day, but I usually only notice them every few months or so. I've been through "the big one" in very close proximity and I came out fine because I wasn't near the coast. Take tsunami warnings very seriously and pack an emergency kit for your home. But don't freak out if your apartment shakes since Japanese buildings are built with earthquakes in mind. My apartment would rumble if even a big truck drove by, but after the 3/11 earthquake and hundreds of aftershocks, I couldn't find a single sign of structural damage. Two of my glasses chipped, but that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    It's so frustrating
    I was misrepresented too, and given some sort of distinction of valor by my university, even after I told them I didn't deserve it. A university near my hometown demanded some guy doing a semester abroad way down in Kyushu come home immediately. There was so much knee-jerk stupidity.

Earthquakes like that are not something you can really worry too much about. Don't put a TV on the wall over your bed, and don't leave candles burning when you're not home, but there's no real point in worrying too much about earthquakes. If there's one big enough to cause problems for you, you'll just deal with them.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I live for the moment and don't care about emergency bags. If the world is gonna end, I'm the first one goin!
    Yup, me too. Also the Tokai Earthquake "theory" has been disproved, hasn't it? So yeah. Whatever.

Yeah, earthquakes happens a lot around here. News is that the seismic activity is due to the fact that Mount Zao is going to blow soon. So take care fellow Tohoku-ers! No hiking or skiing on Okama this winter.
    The most important thing you can do is be prepared. Make yourself a small disaster kit. Know where your evacuation area is (usually an elementary school near your house, but sometimes other buildings) and make sure you have water! As long as the pipes for your sewers aren't busted if you have a 2 liter bottle of water you can flush the toilet.
    Yeah, so any advice that people would like, also feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Yeah, earthquakes happens a lot around here. News is that the seismic activity is due to the fact that Mount Zao is going to blow soon.
    Oh boy if there's one thing that freaks me out more than earthquakes, it's probably volcanoes. Fear of the unknown, I'm sure it comes from living in the flatlands of the prarie state lol. I guess I'm just as worse off in the US as I'd be in Japan though... if Yellowstone doesn't get me, it'll be Fuji. :P

Maybe a little better off in Japan... pretty sure the Yellowstone supervolcano would put the entire country in a critical state if it errupted, so... ya know, pros and cons.
    Last edited by weepinbell; April 21st, 2015 at 23:22.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    pretty sure the Yellowstone supervolcano would put the entire country in a critical state if it errupted, so... ya know, pros and cons.
    I don't know if ripping out a swath of Middle of Nowhere, America would cause anyone to more than sigh into their coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I don't know if ripping out a swath of Middle of Nowhere, America would cause anyone to more than sigh into their coffee.
    I guess that's only if you consider everywhere that's not the East or West coast Middle of Nowhere, America....

Well eh Idk that's probably about right.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Oh boy if there's one thing that freaks me out more than earthquakes, it's probably volcanoes.
    Pfft darling, I live on top of a volcano, you don't see me screaming to the heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Pfft darling, I live on top of a volcano, you don't see me screaming to the heavens.
    Yeah exactly you're used to it! Drive 30miles south and all I've got is corn fields for literally the rest of the state lol. We barely have hills! I'm not used to mountainous terrain and everything that comes with it.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Yeah exactly you're used to it! Drive 30miles south and all I've got is corn fields for literally the rest of the state lol. We barely have hills! I'm not used to mountainous terrain and everything that comes with it.
    Mountains are fun, you'll see.

Though a corn field sounds like something I'd like to go through at least once.