Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JET: 2018

Default Re: JET: 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Noogah View Post
    I literally won't do any of those things.

But thanks for the advice! Your perspective on the Japanese government is quite helpful.

On an unrelated note, I've seen you post in several places. Why do you always say 'word' as a preface to your posts? Should I preface mine with 'noogah'?
    Having fun doesn't necessarily mean doing any of those things.

I heard about JET my first year out of high school. I didn't dedicate my life to getting into JET until October of last year. I had done research on JET and its details over the years sparingly, but focused on school, or at least attempted to focus on school. Honestly I didn't think I would ever get to do it when I first heard about it.

Between applying and first finding out about JET... I studied Biology and Physics, dropped out, moved countries, started school on something else, volunteered, got an associates, started school on another thing, got an internship, got a job, went to an intensive workshop, got published, graduated with a bachelor's degree, got a job, got another job, somehow got another job, and here I am, shortlisted.

Was any of that fun? Yes and no, but it felt fun because I did them with a purpose. Would it have been fun for anyone else? Perhaps not, but this is not their life. I didn't do any of those things word said; fun means different things to different people. Find out what is fun for you and do it.

Would it have been as fun if I was obsessive about JET as I've been in the last six months? Highly unlikely.

The first time I applied, I basically made the JET application my life for several months (I started writing my SoP in the summer, that's how intense I was about the thing). That year, I didn't even make it to the interview stage and I was devastated. This time, I didn't think about applying for JET until I noticed on my twitter feed that the 2015 application was open and I was like "You know what, eff it, I'm going to try again. But I'm not going to put all my eggs into one basket this time". I spent at most a few weeks on my SoP and gathering the necessary documents. This time, not only did I make it to the interview stage, I was shortlisted.

Basically, follow what everyone else said and just enjoy college. And when it's time to apply for JET, don't make it your life.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    ...fun means different things to different people. Find out what is fun for you and do it.
    I agree with this!

(Like I said, I'm an agreeable person!)

Contrary to what all of these smart folks are advising, I wanted to do JET for a long time and invested a great deal of myself into the application process. I lied to others and myself about how much I cared, downplaying the entire thing, possibly in the interests of protecting myself in the event that I was rejected. Luckily, I was apparently able to hide my intense desire for acceptance from the app screeners and interviewers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I agree with this!

(Like I said, I'm an agreeable person!)

Contrary to what all of these smart folks are advising, I wanted to do JET for a long time and invested a great deal of myself into the application process. I lied to others and myself about how much I cared, downplaying the entire thing, possibly in the interests of protecting myself in the event that I was rejected. Luckily, I was apparently able to hide my intense desire for acceptance from the app screeners and interviewers.
    Wearing your Bleach T-shirt underneath your suit is a great way to feel confident during your interview, while hiding your true fervor to get to the land of the rising sun.

I don't understand how people went through or intend to go through college without drinking or having sex. I only did perishingly little of both, and I regret it somewhat. Doing none would be unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Wearing your Bleach T-shirt underneath your suit is a great way to feel confident during your interview, while hiding your true fervor to get to the land of the rising sun.
    I'm old-school. It wasn't Bleach, it was Love Hina.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I don't understand how people went through or intend to go through college without drinking or having sex. I only did perishingly little of both, and I regret it somewhat. Doing none would be unthinkable.
    Eh, different strokes. That was kinda me in high school; throughout my SHS years I thought I was a fun-hating dork who stayed away from any sort of party scene and would never do better than my then-girlfriend. Then I went to uni and realized that I was awesome and fun-loving and sexy and one of the coolest people around. Sometimes it just takes people a little longer to find their stride. Gotta give 'em time; they'll get there!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Then I went to uni and realized that I was awesome and fun-loving and sexy and one of the coolest people around.
    This mental image makes me a little sad.

But it's true, that's how it happens.

Book worm, anti-social computer nerd in High School. Thought drinking and partying was for fools.

Went to college. Realized I had a thing for bad boys. Drank, smoke. Still thought partying was for fools, and I was still somewhat antisocial.

Now an ALT (by a snap decision, no less). I no longer have a thing for bad boys (any will do). I drink because I can't smoke. And partying is awesome. I am still antisocial, though.

Some things change in our lives very quickly, and some things never change. Life, yo.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; April 15th, 2015 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Noogah View Post
    I literally won't do any of those things.
    Well whatever you do, make sure you at least experience life outside of the library...

Like seriously, you're in college, it's the first time you're away from home and can explore and do things on your own. These kinds of experiences will help you for the rest of your life, maybe even as ALT.

You're assuming he's away from home.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    You're assuming he's away from home.
    Oh, I hope he is. A little independence goes a long way.

A lot of people live at home during university.