Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladies clothing

Default Re: Ladies clothing

Is there something wrong with wearing skinny jeans--or skinny pants--over there?

Sometimes it's nice to get a fresh perspective/discussion though instead of digging through the archives for less recent advice.

Yeah, most of my slacks are pixie pants so they're kinda-sorta jegging-like... not as much as legit jeggings, but still. Hopefully I get a placement that's chill with that, they're kinda my staple not gonna lie hahaha...

Perfect for kanchos!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Ha! Oh boy...

LOL noooo. I guess the girls can't even expect to escape that dreaded fate hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    LOL noooo. I guess the girls can't even expect to escape that dreaded fate hahaha.
    Thought it would never happened to me. Then it did.

But I haven't learned my lesson and I still enjoy wearing fitted pants.

I wear skinny jeans all the time when I go out, and I've seen a lot of women here wear them. Never had any problems with that. I was explicitly told not to wear tight pants or short skirts by one of my schools, so I keep the skinny jeans for weekends.

Short skirts are definitely going to be a no at any school, btw, mostly because they have so much trouble stopping students from hiking theirs up.

Also bear in mind that if you're a foreigner you're going to get more kids paying attention to your body if you show it. Especially if you are "curvier" than Japanese women. Japanese teachers at my school wear skinny jeans but if I were a female ALT I might not.

Like Jiggit said above, most of the female staff at my schools wear skinny pants. I do, too, but 1) I don't have a butt and 2) I wear long shirts.

I agree with the others - wait to talk to your predecessor as they will have the best idea of what is appropriate.

I usually wear dresses that are at about knee level (or lower) with cardigans. For formal events I'll throw a blazer over one of my more neutral/formal looking dresses. I also sometimes do dress pants with a blouse and cardigan/blazer. The women at my schools all dress quite differently, but the common themes are neutral colours and very high necklines. If you want to fit in stock up on those things. I don't care about fitting in so most of my dresses are brightly coloured. I do want to be respectful so I try to keep my necklines high, my skirts at or below the knee, and my jewlery/makeup minimal. Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I agree with the others - wait to talk to your predecessor as they will have the best idea of what is appropriate.

I usually wear dresses that are at about knee level (or lower) with cardigans. For formal events I'll throw a blazer over one of my more neutral/formal looking dresses. I also sometimes do dress pants with a blouse and cardigan/blazer. The women at my schools all dress quite differently, but the common themes are neutral colours and very high necklines. If you want to fit in stock up on those things. I don't care about fitting in so most of my dresses are brightly coloured. I do want to be respectful so I try to keep my necklines high, my skirts at or below the knee, and my jewlery/makeup minimal. Hope that helps!
    Yes thank you! I know it's obviously ESID, but based on lots of accounts/advice I've seen so far, I'm getting the feeling my wardrobe miiight not work out too well unless I get lucky haha (pixie pants and a bit of a butt, just-above-the-knee dresses...). Placements cannot come soon enough, I am very curious about whether or not I'm gonna have to do a total closet overhaul. I'm really crossing my fingers that I get schools that are cool with makeup at least... I'm that person who feels naked without liquid liner, not gonna lie.

I'm really crossing my fingers that I get schools that are cool with makeup at least... I'm that person who feels naked without liquid liner, not gonna lie.
    Chances are you're going to, without realizing, do worse things socially than wear liquid liner. It's just part of the cultural learning curve. The idea is to respect the workplace culture, but at the end of the day you're different anyway, and you'll have to pick and choose which battles are important for you to fight. Placement will make many differences, but I do have to advise against dresses and kindergartens in general.

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    but I do have to advise against dresses and kindergartens in general.
    Bingo.

I'm really crossing my fingers that I get schools that are cool with makeup at least... I'm that person who feels naked without liquid liner, not gonna lie.
    I totally get that - for me it's mascara. Most of the female teachers at my schools do wear a little makeup. As long as you're not wearing a lot of dark makeup you won't stand out in that way, but you're already gonna stand out since you're a foreigner so I wouldn't worry too much