Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Reference Sheets for JHS ALTs (Save these! They will come in handy.)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Japanese Reference Sheets for JHS ALTs (Save these! They will come in handy.)

Hey, I wanted to share here a project I've been working on for ALTs in my area. I made two Japanese-language reference sheets that cover a lot of the specialized vocabulary you will encounter as an ALT if you are based at a JHS.

1) Essential Grammar Vocab for JHS: an at-a-glance grammar reference sheet with kanji, readings, definitions, examples, and (optionally) relevant page numbers from the New Horizon textbooks. I recommend printing this off and keeping it in the back of your JHS textbook(s). If you want to keep it neat, I recommend printing pages 1 and 2 double-sided on a single paper. (Page 3 has non-essential words, so you don't really need to include it.) During class, when your JTE is explaining grammar to your students, try to follow along using this sheet to translate unfamiliar words.

I have two versions. The "New Horizon" edition is only relevant if your school uses the New Horizon textbook series. If you do, download that version because it matches most of the grammar terms to the pages of the books where they are introduced.
    Essential Grammar Vocab for JHS.doc
    OR Essential Grammar Vocab for JHS (New Horizon).doc

2) School Vocabulary Reference Sheet for JHS ALTs: a list of common terms and vocabulary used on school schedules, maps, blackboards, staff lists, itineraries, and other places around the staffroom. This is not an exhaustive list, but it should cover a lot of things you'll encounter throughout the year. This can also fit neatly on a single paper if you print double-sided. But I recommend keeping a digital copy since you can use the search function in MS Word to find words quickly.

Also, as always ESID. I know there are tons of variation between schools even in the same area, let alone across the country. Feel free to customize things as needed.
    School Vocabulary Reference Sheet for JHS ALTs.doc

Let me know if you spot any typos or have any other feedback.
    Last edited by Ebi; April 18th, 2015 at 11:43.

Default Re: Japanese Reference Sheets for JHS ALTs (Save these! They will come in handy.)

And if you'd rather not download anything, here are the word lists:

List of Grammar Terms in Japanese used in JHS

General Terms:
    Japanese Reading Translation Definition, Examples, & Notes
    英語 eigo English 英 means "England" or "English", 語 means language
    文法 bunpō grammar the rules of language
    言語 gengo language technical term so "kotoba" is often used instead
    言葉 kotoba word(s), language a general term used for words or language
    単語 tango word, vocabulary term used when referring to individual words
    文or 文章 bun OR bunshō sentence(s), text both can mean a single sentence or whole text
    文字 moji letter Aa
    数字 sūji number 123
    大文字 ōmoji upper-case, capital letter ABC, usually learned in elementary school
    小文字 komoji lower-case abc, might not be learned before JHS
    母音 boin vowel a, i, u, e, o
    子音 shi'in consonant b, c, d, f...
    発音 hatsuon pronunciation Ref: http://mymeet-up.com/hatsuon/sheet.pdf (+する= verb)
    意味 imi meaning can be a noun and a verb (+する= verb)

Parts of Speech:
    主語 shu-go subject the topic of a sentence or clause: "Her song makes me happy."
    述語 jutsu-go predicate the rest of a sentence or clause that is not the subject: "Her song makes me happy."
    目的語 mokuteki-go object the object of a verb: "Her song makes me happy."
    補語 ho-go complement extra information about either the subject or the object: "Her song makes me happy." I am a baseball player.
    動詞 dō-shi verb an action: "Her song makes me happy." "I am a baseball player."
    名詞 mei-shi noun a person, place, thing, or idea: cat, book, dream
    代名詞 dai-meishi pronoun substitution for a noun or several nouns: I, you, they, everything
    固有名詞 koyū-meishi proper noun a name of a person, place, or thing; starts with a capital letter
    形容詞 keiyō-shi adjective noun describer: good, big, impossible
    副詞 fuku-shi adverb verb describer: fast, often, early (frequently end in "ly")
    前置詞 zenchi-shi preposition indicator of relation to time and space: before, in, at, on, by
    接続詞 setsuzoku-shi conjunction word, phrase, and clause connector: and, but, because, when
    助動詞 jodō-shi auxiliary verb verb helper: can, will, must, should (includes the verbs be, have, and do in some contexts)
    関係代名詞 kankei-daimeishi relative pronoun connector of clauses and phrases to nouns: that, who, which
    疑問詞 gimon-shi interrogative word question maker: who, what, where, when, why, how
    冠詞 kan-shi article definiteness or indefiniteness indicator: the, a, an
    間投詞 or
    感嘆詞
    kantō-shi OR
    kantan-shi
    interjection expresser of emotion or sentiment: uh, wow, oh, How..!, What..!
    感嘆文 [kantan-bun] = an exclamatory sentence

Verb Types:
    be動詞 "be" dōshi be-verb any form of the verb "be": am, is, are, was, were, been, being
    一般動詞 ippan-dōshi general verb any verb that isn't "be": swim, read, talk...
    不定詞 futei-shi infinitive [to + base verb] unaffected by tense and used to take an object or complement other verbs: "I want to go home." "We use books to study English." "He has many things to learn."
    動名詞 dōmei-shi gerund [base verb + ing] used like a noun: "I like sleeping." "Watching TV is interesting."
    過去分詞 kakobun-shi past participle verb form used in passive language or past perfect sentences: written, been, sung
    規則動詞 kisoku-dōshi regular verb a verb that uses "ed" for both past tense and past participle forms: like, play, walk
    不規則動詞 fukisoku-dōshi irregular verb a verb that follows a different pattern for past tense and past participle forms: came, put, leave, write

Verb Tenses:
    原形 gen-kei original or base form the basic form of verbs listed in dictionaries (be, go, see); also used when verbs are infinitives or paired with auxiliary verbs
    現在形 genzai-kei present tense "I eat rice." 現在+進行形 [genzai-shinkō-kei] = present
    progressive tense: "I am playing tennis."

現在+完了形 [genzai-kanryō-kei] = present
    perfect tense: "I have read that book."
    過去形 kako-kei past tense "I ate rice." 過去+進行形 [kako-shinkō-kei] = past
    progressive tense: "I was sleeping then."
    未来形 mirai-kei future tense "I will eat rice." "I am going to eat rice."
    進行形 shinkō-kei progressive form [be-verb + general verb + "ing"] indicating an action is, was, or will be in progress: "I am cooking now." "I was cooking then." "I will be cooking when you arrive."
    完了形 kanryō-kei perfect tense [have + past participle] indicates that an action has been completed prior to now or a point in the past or future; it can also be used in hypothetical situations: "I have seen it." "He had arrived by then." "I would have come if I had time."

Additional Word and Sentence Forms:
    ~形 ~katachi form, shape often used with other words (e.g. 動詞の形 = verb form)
    肯定文 kōtei-bun affirmative sentence a positive sentence
    否定文 hitei-bun negative sentence a negative sentence; usually uses "not" to express negativity:
    "I don't play baseball." "We can't meet then."
    疑問文 gimon-bun interrogative sentence any sentence that asks a question: "How are you?" "Is this your cat?"
    命令文 meirei-bun imperative sentence a sentence giving a command or request; usually there is no explicitly stated subject so the verb comes first: "Be afraid."
    受け身or 受身形 ukemi OR ukemi-kei passive voice language that focuses on an object being acted upon, rather than the person or thing doing the action: "The ball was kicked."
    単数形 tansū-kei singular form a single noun: dog, person, food
    複数形 fukusū-kei plural form two or more nouns, often taking an "s": dogs, people, food(s)
    短縮形 tanshuku-kei abbreviation, contraction shortened form of a word or group of words: don't, isn't, I'd
    比較級 hikaku-kyū comparative a form of adjective or adverb used when making comparisons: "I'm older than you." "She is more beautiful than my wife."
    最上級 saijō-kyū superlative a form of adjective or adverb used to show something is the greatest of a group of three or more things: "He's the tallest in our class." "That's the most difficult question."
    一人称 ichinin-shō first-person speaking about oneself: "I like cats." "We play soccer."
    二人称 ninin-shō second-person addressing a 2nd person or group: "You can do it." "You won."
    三人称 sannin-shō third-person speaking about anyone or anything except oneself and a 2nd party: "She runs every day." "They went home."
    三単現 san-tan-gen third-person singular present abbreviation of 三人称単数現在 which refers to the rule that 3rd person singular present-tense sentences must modify verbs
    主格 shu-kaku nominative case when pronouns are subjects of a sentence: I, you, he, she, it, we, they
    所有格 shoyū-kaku possessive case when pronouns function like adjectives showing possession: my, your, his, hers, its, our, their
    目的格 mokuteki-kaku objective case when pronouns are the object of a sentence: me, you, him, her, it, us, you, them
    所有代名詞 shoyū-daimeishi possessive pronoun pronouns that indicate ownership: mine, yours, his, hers, ours, yours, theirs
    後置修飾 kōchi-shūshoku describing nouns from behind such as infinitives, relative pronouns, and passive voice: "I want something to drink." "She's a girl who plays soccer."

Punctuation and Formatting:
    句読点 kutōten punctuation Marks to help understand and correctly read text.
    ピリオド piriodo period [.] Indicates a full-stop at the end of a sentence.
    疑問符 gimonfu question mark [?] Indicates a question. Sometimes called はてなマーク ("hatena" mark).
    感嘆符 or
    ビックリマーク
    kantanfu OR bikkuri-māku exclamation mark [!] Indicates emotion. Commonly called "bikkuri-māku" in Japanese which literally translates as "surprise mark".
    コンマ konma comma [,] Separates words and clauses and indicates small pauses.
    アポストロフィー aposutorofī apostrophe ['] Indicates contractions (e.g. don't) and possession (e.g. Becky's).
    省略記号 shōryaku-kigō ellipsis [...] Indicates some text has been omitted. Sometimes called テンテンテン (tententen) which translates as "dot-dot-dot".
    括弧 or
    丸括弧
    kakko OR maru-gakko brackets, parenthesis [()] Used to set apart or interject text within a sentence. Brackets in general are called "kakko". Rounded brackets are called "maru-gakko".
    引用符 inyōfu quotation marks [""] Indicates text is a quote or spoken dialogue. The Japanese version of quotation marks look like this:「quote」
    コロン koron colon [:] Used to explain or start a list.
    セミコロン semikoron semicolon [;] Connects two closely related independent clauses that aren't already connected by conjunctions.
    ダッシュ dasshu dash [–] Used to offset clauses. Also shows ranges and spans of time (1940–1950).
    ハイフン haifun hyphen [-] Used to connect words, prefixes, and suffixes.
    スラッシュ surasshu slash [/] Separates words or letters. Often used to indicate "or"(e.g. Yes/No).
    下線 kasen underline Writing a line under words to show emphasis. Here's an example.

Other Language-related Words:
    消える音 kieru-oto sound loss, elision the loss of sounds at the end of words: "g'nigh" instead of "good night"
    つながる音 tsunagaru-oto sound linking, fusion the linking of sounds when spoken in succession: "stan dup" instead of "stand up"
    変わる音 kawaru-oto sound change, palatalization changing sounds when t or d sounds come before a y: "did you" becomes "diju", "meet you" becomes "meechu"
    変化 henka change, conjugation transformation of a verb, sound, etc. (+する= verb)
    発音記号 hatsuon-kigō phonetic alphabet IPA, the symbols that show pronunciation
    語順 gojun word order the arrangement of words in a sentence
    語彙 goi vocabulary, lexicon stock of words personally known or used by a group of people
    語句 goku words, phrases frequently used when introducing vocabulary
    熟語 jukugo idiom, idiomatic phrase word or phrase with a figurative meaning rather than a literal one: "It's raining cats and dogs."
    連語 rengo compound word, phrase word or phrase made by combining two or more meaningful parts: football, backtrack, vineyard
    俗語 zokugo colloquialism slang, words used by people in a specific group or location
    shi poem language that uses rhythm and imagery to express ideas
    諺  kotowaza proverb, saying famous phrase with a moral message: "Better late than never."
    質問 or 問い shitsumon OR toi question general words for questions; additionally 問題 [mondai] is a question/problem that needs to be solved (e.g. test questions)
    答えor回答 kotae OR kaitō answer general words for answers, also 解答 [kaitō] means answer/solution; 解答用紙 [kaitō-yōshi] = test answer sheet
    説明 setsumei explanation makes something clear and easy to understand (+する= verb)
    対話 taiwa dialogue a verbal exchange between two people (+する= verb)
    会話 kaiwa  conversation a verbal exchange between two or more people (+する= verb)
    場面 bamen scene, setting the situation and context of a dialogue, テーマ = theme
    文脈 bunmyaku context text or speech surrounding an expression affecting the meaning
    表現 hyōgen expression language that conveys thoughts and feelings (+する= verb)
    表す arawasu to express also means "to show", "to represent", "to make known"
    冗談 jōdan joke language that is intentionally humorous
    歌詞 kashi song lyrics the words of a song
    下品な言葉 gehin na kotoba swear words,
    dirty language
    Japanese doesn't approach "curse words" the same as English, but I've found that "gehin na kotoba" fits as a rough translation
    方言 hōgen dialect a regional variation of a language
    ~弁 ~ben ~ dialect usually the name is based on a specific location or region (大阪弁 = Ōsaka Dialect), but there are exceptions like ズーズー弁
    Last edited by Ebi; April 18th, 2015 at 12:13.

Default Re: Japanese Reference Sheets for JHS ALTs (Save these! They will come in handy.)

Thanks ebi! Much appreciated.

That's good stuff. You should publish that on a blog or something.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    That's good stuff. You should publish that on a blog or something.
    Eh, I'm not the blogging sort. But they are materials that eventually will go on a website. I'm working with other ALTs in my area to improve our local JET website. We already have a ton of info on it, but the education materials section is still pretty weak so that's what's currently in development.
    Last edited by Ebi; April 18th, 2015 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Eh, I'm not the blogging sort. But they are materials that eventually will go on a website. I'm working with other ALTs in my area to improve our local JET website. We already have a ton of info on it, but the education materials section is still pretty weak so that's what's currently in development.
    Great! This'll be very useful, so people will surely link to it.
    車庫 B1F

You're welcome! I spent enough time making these that I wanted to share them.

School Vocabulary Reference Sheet for JHS ALTs

Major School Year Events Vocab:
    (*names may vary, some events might not occur at your school)
    着任式 [chakunin-shiki] = new staff welcome ceremony 英語暗唱弁論大会 [eigo-anshō-benron-taikai] = English recitation & speech contest
    始業式 [shigyō-shiki] = opening ceremony of school year
    入学式 [nyūgaku-shiki] = entrance ceremony 避難訓練 [hinan-kunren] = disaster drill
    対面式 [taimen-shiki] = sempai/kōhai introduction ceremony 大掃除 [ōsōji] = major cleaning day
    歓迎会 [kangei-kai] = welcome staff party 生徒総会 [seito-sōkai] = general meeting for all students
    開校記念日 [kaikō-kinenbi] = anniversary of school opening 生徒会選挙 [seito-kai senkyo] = student council election
    (#)学期終了式 [# gakki shūryō-shiki] = end of # term ~検査/検診 [~kensa/kenshin] = health examination, checkup
    (#)学期始業式 [# gakki shigyō-shiki] = start of # term 健康診断 [kenkō-shindan] = health check (including staff)
    忘年会 [bōnen-kai] = "forget your troubles" year-end staff party PTA総会 [PTA sōkai] = PTA meeting
    予餞式/送る会[yosen-shiki /okuru-kai] = sending off ceremony 授業参観 [jugyō-sankan] = lesson observation day (for parents)
    卒業式/卒業証書授与式 [sotsugyō-shiki /sotsugyō-shōsho juyo-shiki] = graduation day 二者面談 [nisha-mendan] = one-on-one meetings with students and homeroom teachers
    修了式 [shūgyō-shiki] = end of the year ceremony for non-graduates 三者面談 [sansha-mendan] = meetings between homeroom teachers and students accompanied by their parents
    離任式 [ri'nin-shiki] = farewell ceremony for leaving staff 家庭訪問 [katei-hōmon] = visits to student homes
    送別会 [sōbetsu-kai] = farewell staff party 中間考査 [chūkan-kōsa] = mid-term exams
    修学旅行 [shūgaku-ryokō] = school trip 期末考査 [kimatsu-kōsa] = end of term exams
    野外活動 [yagai-katsudō] = field trip 実力考査 [jitsuryoku-kōsa] = proficiency test
    校外学習 [kōgai-gakushū] = educational trip 学力調査 [gakuryoku-chōsa] = student ability test
    合宿 [gashuku] = training camp 委員会[i'in-kai] = committee meeting
    合唱コンクール [gasshō konkūru] = chorus contest 職員会議 [shokuin-kaigi] = whole staff meeting
    (school name)祭/文化祭 [~sai / bunka-sai] = school festival 学年部会[gakunenbu-kai]=split staff meeting (divided by grade)
    激励会 [gekirei-kai] = pep rally 研究会 [kenkyū-kai] = seminar
    ~大会 [~taikai] = ~ tournament, contest 講座 [kōza] = lecture, academic workshop
    県大会 [kentaikai] = prefectural sports tournament 振替休日 [furikae-kyūjitsu] = compensatory holiday
    新人戦/大会 [shinjin-sen/taikai] = new players tournament 春休み [haru-yasumi] = spring break
    駅伝大会 [ekiden-taikai] = long-distance relay race 夏休み [natsu-yasumi] = summer break
    運動会 [undō-kai] = sports day 秋休み [aki-yasumi] = fall/autumn break
    職場体験 [shokuba-taiken] = work experience 冬休み [fuyu-yasumi] = winter break

Weekly Schedule, Blackboard, & Staffroom Vocab:
    (*the arrangement of your weekly schedule and blackboard may vary)
    予定表 [yotei-hyō] = (event) schedule, itinerary 黒板 [kokuban] = blackboard
    時間 [jikan] = time, hour 出張 [shucchō] = business trip
    時程 [jitei] = duration of classes (i.e. 50 min or 45min) 年休 [nenkyū] = paid vacation
    月日 [gappi] = date / 曜日 [yōbi] = day of the week 病休 [byōkyū] = sick leave
    授業 [jugyō] = class 特休 [tokkyū] = special leave
    行事 [gyōji] = event 職員状態 [shokuin-jōtai] = status of staff members
    部活 [bukatsu] = club activities 校外勤務 [kōgai-kinmu] = duties away from school
    給食 [kyūshoku] = school lunch / 弁当 [bentō] = packed lunch 会議 [kaigi] = meeting (often long, scheduled in advance)
    日直 / 当番 [nicchoku / tōban] = person "on duty"
    (assigned person has extra responsibilities, rotates each day)
    打ち合わせ or 打合せ [uchi-awase] = meeting (often brief,
    usually discussing an event directly before or after it happens)
    清掃/掃除[seisō /sōji] = cleaning 停止 [teishi] =cancelation (of something in progress)
    連絡 [renraku] = message 中止 [chūshi] =cancelation (of something planned to start)
    情報 [jōhō] = information 学級閉鎖 [gakkyū-heisa] = temporary cancelation of class(es)
    備考 [bikō] = notes, remarks 学年閉鎖 [gakunen-heisa] = temp. cancelation of whole grade

Daily Schedule & School Subjects Vocab:
    (*school subjects are often abbreviated by using just the first kanji of the word)
    時間割 [jikan-wari] = timetable, (class) schedule 書写/習字 [shosha/shūji] = calligraphy, penmanship
    (#)時間目 [# jikanme] = period (e.g. 1st period, 2nd period) 特別支援 [tokubetsu-shien] = special needs education
    英語 [eigo] = English 道徳 [dōtoku] = moral education
    国語 [kokugo] = Japanese 総合 [sōgō] = integrated studies
    数学 [sūgaku] = math 学活 [gakkatsu] = homeroom activities
    理科 [rika] = science 学習 [gakushū] = study
    社会 [shakai] = social studies 自習 [jishū] = self-study
    保健体育 [hoken-tai'iku] = health & P.E. (abbreviated as 保体) 登校 [tōkō] = going to school/arrival
    音楽 [ongaku] = music 朝の会 [asa-no-kai] = morning meeting
    美術 [bijutsu] = art 昼休み [hiru-yasumi] = lunch break
    技術 [gijutsu] = crafting, mechanical arts 帰りの会 [kaeri-no-kai] = farewell meeting
    家庭科 [kateika] = home economics 下校 [gekō] = coming home from school, end of school day

School Map Vocab:
    (*names may vary, some rooms may not exist at your school)
    校舎 [kōsha] = school building(s) 地図 [chizu] = map
    校庭 [kōtei] = schoolyard 案内 [annai] = information/guide
    教室 [kyō-shitsu] = classroom 校門/正門 [kōmon/seimon] = school gate
    職員室 [shokuin-shitsu] = staffroom 玄関 [genkan] = entryway (especially for staff and guests)
    体育館 [tai'iku-kan] = gymnasium 昇降口 [shōkō-guchi] = entryway (for students)
    武道館/格技場[budō-kan/kakugi-jō] = dojo, martial arts gym 印刷室 [insatsu-shitsu] = printing room
    図書室 [tosho-shitsu] = school library 会議室 [kaigi-shitsu] = meeting room
    事務室 [jimu-shitsu] = school office (clerk's room) 相談室 [sōdan-shitsu] = (private) discussion room
    校長室 [kōchō-shitsu] = principal's office 学習室 [gakushū-shitsu] = study room
    保健室 [hoken-shitsu] = nurse's office 視聴覚室 [shichōkaku-shitsu] = audiovisual room
    カウンセラー室 [kaunserā-shitsu] = counselor's office 多目的室 [tamokuteki-shitsu] = multipurpose room
    生徒会室 [seitokai-shitsu] = student council office 準備室 [jumbi-shitsu] = preparation room
    音楽室 [ongaku-shitsu] = music room 資料室 [shiryō-shitsu] = reference room (full of materials)
    放送室 [hōsō-shitsu] = broadcast room 備品室 [bihin-shitsu] = equipment room
    美術室 [bijutsu-shitsu] = art room 配膳室 [haizen-shitsu] = storage room
    コンピュータ/PC室 [compyūta/PC-shitsu] = computer room 和室 [wa-shitsu] = Japanese-style room (with tatami, etc.)
    理科室 [rika-shitsu] = science room, lab 廊下 [rōka] = hallway
    家庭科室 [kateika-shitsu] = home economics room 階段 [kaidan] = staircase
    調理室 [chōri-shitsu] = kitchen 駐車場 [chūsha-jō] = parking lot
    被服室 [hifuku-shitsu] = sewing, handicraft room 洗面所 [senmen-jo] = washroom (sink area)
    木工室/金工/工芸室 [mokkō-shitsu/ kinkō-shitsu/kōgei-shitsu]
    = woodworking room/metalworking room/industrial arts room
    WC = water closet (toilet)
    女[onna] = women's / 男[otoko]= men's
    特別活動室 [tokubetsu-katsudō-shitsu] =
    extracurricular activities room
    給湯室 /湯沸室 [kyūtō-shitsu/yuwakashi-shitsu] =
    staff kitchenette
    部室 [bu-shitsu] = club activity room 更衣室 [kōi-shitsu] = changing room, locker room
    少人数教室 [shōninzū-kyōshitsu] = small room for split classes 食堂 [shoku-dō] = cafeteria

Staff Titles & Duties Vocab:
    (*names may vary, some positions may not exist at your school)
    ~先生 [~sensei] = respectful title for teachers, doctors, etc. 事務長/主事 [jimu-chō/shuji] = school clerk
    職員 [shokuin] = staff member / 教員 [kyōin] = teaching staff 学校用務員 [gakkō-yōmuin] = janitor, custodian, groundskeeper
    校長 [kōchō] = principal 技師[gishi] = "technician" (i.e. janitor, custodian, groundskeeper)
    教頭 [kyōtō] = vice principal 司書教諭 [shisho-kyōyu] = library supervisor
    教師 [kyōshi] = teacher 図書事務員 [tosho-jimuin] = school librarian
    教諭 [kyōyu] = (licensed) teacher スクールカウンセラー [sukūrukaunserā] = school counselor
    講師 [kōshi] = lecturer (1 year contract, not yet passed exam) 栄養教諭 [eiyō-kyōyu] = nutritionist
    実習生 [jisshūsei] = trainee teacher, university student teacher 給食パート [kyūshoku-pāto] = lunch server
    主任 [shunin] = senior staff, person in charge of X 学年主任[gakunen-shunin] = head teacher of (1st/2nd/3rd) grade
    副主任 [fuku-shunin] = assistant person in charge of X 教科主任 [kyōka-shunin] = head teacher of (school subject)
    担任 [tannin] = home room teacher 教務主任 [kyōmu-shunin] = head of school affairs
    副担任 [fuku-tannin] = assistant homeroom teacher 研究主任 [kenkyū-shunin] = seminar coordinator
    担当 [tantō] = person responsible for X (maybe not "in charge") 管理主任 [kanri-shunin] = building & equipment administrator
    生徒指導主事 [seito-shidō-shuji] = student affairs overseer 給食主任 [kyūshoku-shunin] = school lunch manager
    進路指導主事 [shinro-shidō-shuji] = guidance counselor 防災主任 [bōsai-shunin] = disaster prevention planner
    保健主事 [hoken-shuji] = health advisor 外国語指導助手 [gaikokugo-shidō-joshu] = ALT
    養護教諭 [yōgo-kyōyu] = school nurse 常勤 [jōkin] = full-time / 非常勤 [hijōkin] = part-time

Club Activities:
    (*names may vary, some clubs may not exist at your school, words with parenthesis are often abbreviated)
    クラブ活動 [kurabu-katsudō] = club activities 水泳 [suiei] = swimming
    男子 [danshi] = boys / 女子 [joshi] = girls 剣道 [kendō] = kendo (sword fighting)
    野球 [yakyū] = baseball 柔道 [jūdō] = judo
    サッカー [sakkā] = soccer 体操 [taisō] = gymnastics
    (ソフト)テニス [(sofuto-)tenisu] = (soft) tennis 吹奏楽 [suisōgaku] = brass band
    バレー(ボール) [bare(-bōru)] = volleyball 美術 [bijutsu] = art
    バスケ(ットボール) [basuke(tto-bōru)] = basketball パソコン [pasokon] = computer
    ソフトボール [sofuto-bōru] = softball 駅伝 [ekiden] = long-distance relay race
    バド(ミントン) [bado(minton)] = badminton 太鼓隊 [taiko-tai] = taiko drum corps
    卓球 [takkyū] = table tennis ソーラン隊 [sōran-tai] = sōran bushi dance corps
    支援卓球 [shien-takkyū] = special needs table tennis 茶道 [sadō] = tea ceremony
    陸上 [rikujō] = track and field ボランティア協力隊 [borantia-kyōryoku-tai] = volunteer corps
    Last edited by Ebi; June 20th, 2015 at 09:24.

This is great. Needs a sticky.

Hey Ebi, I'm a huge fan of Memrise decks, and I started formatting a spreadsheet of the vocab to make one out of these words.

But then I realized that you probably have a spreadsheet of these words already.

If you want to make a Memrise deck you really should. Though I can make one for you if you don't know how.

@Jiggit: Nice! Glad to be of help.

@Ananas: I really appreciate the offer, but I actually know most of these words, save for a few of the obscure room names and grammar terms. But I'm sure someone else here would probably find it very useful if you want to share. That said, I'd advice against putting everything in there since I don't think words like "給湯室" or "引用符" are things you need to memorize, especially if you're a beginner.

But you've reminded me that I really should get back into practicing vocab with Memrise again.
    Last edited by Ebi; April 18th, 2015 at 12:53. Reason: darn typos

@Jiggit: Nice! Glad to be of help.

@Ananas: I really appreciate the offer, but I actually know most of these words, save for a few of the obscure room names and grammar terms. But I'm someone else here would probably find it very useful if you want to share. That said, I'd advice against putting everything in there since I don't think words like "給湯室" or "引用符" are things you need to memorize, especially if you're a beginner.

But you've reminded me that I really should get back into practicing vocab with Memrise again.
    Oh! I guess I was actually asking permission if I could make a memrise deck out of these words and share it with people.

I'll have to consider the difficulty level of some of the words though. It'll have to be leveled.

"引用符"

lol
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Oh! I guess I was actually asking permission if I could make a memrise deck out of these words and share it with people.

I'll have to consider the difficulty level of some of the words though. It'll have to be leveled.
    Ah! Well sure, go right ahead. I just assumed you already started. Sharing is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    lol
    I should have typed "「引用符」" to add another layer of quote-ception.

I'll definitely print this out for my studies. Thanks, Ebi!

this is amazing. thanks for this
    www.thejetcoaster.com
    5th year | 2010 Toronto JET | Kagawa-ken
    thejetcoaster.com | youtube | instagram

Definitely printing these out. Thank you!

If you make them into a memrise deck, let me know! I would be interested.

Sent from my SC-02E using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Akhety View Post
    If you make them into a memrise deck, let me know! I would be interested.

Sent from my SC-02E using Tapatalk
    Will be working on it. Also will be heavily editing for the most useful "first year" terms.

This is awesome! Thank you!