19 48.72%
  • 3-5

6 15.38%
  • 5-7

2 5.13%
  • 7+

8 20.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current/former JETs: How many schools do/did you teach in?

Default Current/former JETs: How many schools do/did you teach in?

Hi all

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anyway, can any JETs (current or former) tell me how many schools they had to teach in? I saw a Youtube video of a JET who seemed to have a pretty nice apartment and even got a free car from BoE with petrol paid for and I thought that sounds great...but a few minutes later in the video he said "I teach in 9 schools" (so that is why he got the car I realised).

I was quite ignorant about this and naively imagined you taught in one school or maybe 2-3 maximum - I didn't realise you could be teaching in so many. I thought to myself 9 isn't good for developing a meaningful relationship with the students; furthermore if you're doing 9 schools aren't you going to be introducing yourself, your hometown, things from your country to dozens and dozens of classes (i.e. the same thing over and over). So, it would be interesting to hear from the various JETs to see what average amount of schools is. Thanks!

Default Re: Current/former JETs: How many schools do/did you teach in?

My ex-JET friend said that her first year she had three junior highs and one elementary school.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

5 junior high schools. I don't have a base school. Instead I have a schedule where I visit each school on a certain day of the week. I bike and take a bus. It took about a month to get through introducing myself to all of my classes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

I have 7 - 5 elementary and 2 junior high schools. The ES feed into my JHS, but sometimes that's not the case.
    I came here to laugh at you.

approximate number of students in parentheses

year one: 3 JHS (150 base school, 250-300, 15), 5 ES (100, 200, 150, 13, 22), one kindergarten I only visited three times (100 or so)
    years two and three: 2 HS (600, 300), 2 ES (1000, 750), one special needs school for kids who didn't do well in regular school for one reason or another which I visited once a month (usually 3-6 kids)

I was still able to build relationships with many of the students and teachers.
    車庫 B1F

1 jr high and 2 elementaries, ~20 classes per week. It's on the lower side for my city, most ALTs have 4, a few 3, and currently 1 has 5 because another ALT has quit so the BoE has had to fill their schools.

I have two middle schools and two elementary schools. Every week is the same schedule, with one school getting me twice a week. My middle schools in total have 6 3rd year classes, 5 2nd year classes and 5 1st year classes. My elementary schools have 4 6th year classes and 3 5th year classes.

I see all of my elementary classes each week, but in middle school I see them a lot less. This is my third day at one of my middle schools since the term started and I'm just seeing my 1st years for the first time.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I teach in three, but really I have a main school for 4 days and a visit for 1.

My friend who taught in the same town taught at I think... 12?

If you're Senior High school you often have at most 3 or 4 schools, many times you will have only 1. If you're Elementar/Junior you could end up teaching at so many schools that you could do your self introduction for an entire year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Previous placement: 2 JHSs and their matching 2 ESs. Occasional visits to a local preschool. Obligatory eikaiwa.

Current placement: 2 SHSs, no eikaiwa.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Three shos and a chu. A friend of mine has ~18 schools. He's the only guy in his town though, so he goes to pretty much every kindergarten to jhs in it.

Base JHS Mon-thurs, then I rotate every other week between two different elementary schools on Fridays. However, in my city the ALTs rotate base schools every year, so some years I've worked kindergarden/preschool instead of elementary school.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

one

Last school year I had 7 schools: 4 high schools, two junior highs, and one elementary. I also occasionally did visits at other schools, but this only happened twice.

This school year it looks like I'll be at 8 with the addition of a new high school.

ALTs employed by my BOE typically have many schools, and some of them require a fair amount of travel time as we aren't allowed to drive (most people break that rule though). I don't mind long commutes because all of them (except one) occur during working hours. I do wish I had fewer schools so that I was able to develop meaningful relationships with students and my JTEs.
    Last edited by Libellule; April 20th, 2015 at 14:06.

primary shs that focuses on entrance examinations, so maybe 7 classes a week thus so far? Although I don't do my own lessons, I mostly correct student's writing on the chalkboard. Once a month I have a special needs school where they tell me what the lesson plan is, I'm mostly along for the ride.

1 JHS, 4 elementaries, 4 preschools/kindergartens.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I teach in three, but really I have a main school for 4 days and a visit for 1.

My friend who taught in the same town taught at I think... 12?
    Is that a joke!?

But, then I guess this tops it

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    A friend of mine has ~18 schools. He's the only guy in his town though, so he goes to pretty much every kindergarten to jhs in it.
    Maybe some people don't mind so many schools that much if they're travelling during office hours, but I don't see it as good for teacher development if you're doing your introductions for months and months and maybe doing the same thing over and over (which is what puts me off a little).

I wonder did the people who have many schools write on their application that they have a driving license?

If you're Senior High school you often have at most 3 or 4 schools, many times you will have only 1. If you're Elementar/Junior you could end up teaching at so many schools that you could do your self introduction for an entire year.
    Do you know if you have much control where you go: elementary, senior high school etc? Just wondering if people who say they'd prefer senior high school on their application form for example actually get put there or is it a bit like the placements?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    Base JHS Mon-thurs, then I rotate every other week between two different elementary schools on Fridays. However, in my city the ALTs rotate base schools every year, so some years I've worked kindergarden/preschool instead of elementary school.
    I guess it doesn't sound too bad having a base school and alternating between different schools one day a week. But ideally I'd prefer to avoid kindergarten. Maybe that's just something you just have to accept if it's one of your placements?!

Having not known the amount of schools before it does kind of put me off applying. I wouldn't mind 3 or so, but if it's going up to 6-7 it's quite a lot. Is it just luck how many you have?
    Last edited by elmaldito; April 21st, 2015 at 01:28.

Quote Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
    Is it just luck how many you have?
    Pretty much luck of the draw. There's no way they could give you that information beforehand because each contracting organization's needs are totally unique, and recruiting individually would be really difficult and defeat the purpose of the program.

One reason it's good to have multiple schools is that you get breaks from certain people. People who chew loudly at the next desk, kids who try to check your prostate every day, and other annoyances can be left behind a few days a week. Another reason is that your pool of potentially cool/hot teachers increases.

You just take it one day at a time and go to whichever school you're assigned to. Having 8 schools isn't really an added burden or anything. It might add some confusion or set your lessons back a bit, but it doesn't really add to your workload or anything.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; April 21st, 2015 at 02:01.
    車庫 B1F

There was a former JET at my pre-departure orientation who worked at like 38 schools or something ridiculous. It was because every month (week?) the ALTs rotated visiting a different elementary school.

Personally, I have 2 schools. However, my position used to have 7, but the 6 elementary schools consolidated into 1 a few years ago.
    Last edited by nostos; April 22nd, 2015 at 20:35.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I appreciate it!!

Is that a joke!?

But, then I guess this tops it

Maybe some people don't mind so many schools that much if they're travelling during office hours, but I don't see it as good for teacher development if you're doing your introductions for months and months and maybe doing the same thing over and over (which is what puts me off a little).

I wonder did the people who have many schools write on their application that they have a driving license?

Do you know if you have much control where you go: elementary, senior high school etc? Just wondering if people who say they'd prefer senior high school on their application form for example actually get put there or is it a bit like the placements?

I guess it doesn't sound too bad having a base school and alternating between different schools one day a week. But ideally I'd prefer to avoid kindergarten. Maybe that's just something you just have to accept if it's one of your placements?!

Having not known the amount of schools before it does kind of put me off applying. I wouldn't mind 3 or so, but if it's going up to 6-7 it's quite a lot. Is it just luck how many you have?
    It's really not so bad however many schools you have. How many connections you make depends entirely upon you. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're going to be best friends with any of the students. I got to know a few of my students better through speech contests, but for the most part, even at my base school where I spend most of my time, students still greet me with "Hellohowareyouimfinenicetomeetyou", mostly because I'm the worst alt ever. It's not that they don't know me or aren't excited to see me, it's just that they're 13, so they don't really give a shit about anyone but themselves and their friends.

Introductions can be boring, but once they're over, they're pretty much done for good, except for a random few every now and then. They don't even have to be that tedious. If it turns out you have to do a lot of them, once you get the hang of it, you can just improvise.

No matter what, you'll be doing the same thing over and over again even after your introductions. That's basically what teaching and learning is. Even if you have just one school, odds are you'll be doing the same lessons for different classes three or four times a day. Elementary is particularly bad because the text book is very light, and so the material is repeated a lot even in the same class.

I don't know that very many people are actually assigned a kindergarten. My friend seems to be a rare case. A lot of people near me have gone to one at least once though, and it's actually loads of fun. You just run around with them for a few hours and play games. You won't regret it even if you're assigned one.

Come to think of it, there's a list published somewhere of how many people get how many schools, and what kind. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

I met a northern-Hokkaido JET who worked at a gazillion schools. He had travel days during the week, for which he was paid, and was put up in ryokans or hotels.
    車庫 B1F