Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 121 to 136 of 136

Thread: Placement Map??

  1. #121

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    Apparently prefectural JET's work primarily in SHS. Not what I wanted, but I'm not too upset. It might actually turn out to be the best thing for me. What does suck is knowing I might have to wait a little longer than everyone else to find out where I'm living. But we've been on a lucky streak so far in terms of finding out results/placements. Fingers crossed that trend will continue.
    What'll be cool about that though is that you might get kids with higher language ability (if not, at least better than EHS lol), so there's more room for conversations and stuff.

  2. #122
    Senior Member Fantasylife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Happily a former JET
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    What'll be cool about that though is that you might get kids with higher language ability (if not, at least better than EHS lol), so there's more room for conversations and stuff.
    True... And I do wanna learn some bad Japanese words, so there you go :P

  3. #123
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    Apparently prefectural JET's work primarily in SHS. Not what I wanted, but I'm not too upset. It might actually turn out to be the best thing for me. What does suck is knowing I might have to wait a little longer than everyone else to find out where I'm living. But we've been on a lucky streak so far in terms of finding out results/placements. Fingers crossed that trend will continue.
    I taught in two high schools, but they were all girls. My favorite thing about being in high school is you get to see what your students become. You can actually make good friendships with kids. I've even met a couple of them in America on their college graduation trips.
    They have part-time jobs around town, and they can talk about mature things with you. I really enjoyed it.
    車庫 B1F

  4. #124

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I taught in two high schools, but they were all girls. My favorite thing about being in high school is you get to see what your students become. You can actually make good friendships with kids. I've even met a couple of them in America on their college graduation trips.
    They have part-time jobs around town, and they can talk about mature things with you. I really enjoyed it.
    this. As much as i would LOVE to just dance and sing around with ES kids, or do goofy games with prizes for JHS, SHS has a pretty big list of pros too in the 'actually connect/communicate to people' category.
    Last edited by gibbity; May 15th, 2015 at 02:07.

  5. #125
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by gibbity View Post
    this. As much as i would LOVE to just dance and sing around with ES kids, or do goofy games with prizes for JHS, SHS has a pretty big list of pros too in the 'actually connect/communicate to people' category.
    HUGE list of pros. I was a JHS/ES ALT for my first year and got moved downtown. I was really nervous about going into SHS, and it was awesome. Way better, imo.

    NOTE: I feel super vindicated and strong when someone "this"es my post. Happens once a week or so. Thanks gibbs.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; May 15th, 2015 at 02:47.
    車庫 B1F

  6. #126
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,402

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Just don't expect to be able to have deep conversations in English with your HS students.
    Last edited by acpc2203; May 15th, 2015 at 02:54.

  7. #127
    Senior Member Fantasylife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Happily a former JET
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Thanks, guys! You're putting me at ease about teaching in SHS. I'm a small thing, about the size of an average teenager, but I'm no pushover. But I thought I might have a bigger presence to younger kids then I would with older ones. I'm sure I'll be nervous in the beginning, but I'll just fake it until I make it.

  8. #128
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    but I'll just fake it until I make it.
    In other words, live a fantasy life.

  9. #129
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Just don't expect to be able to have deep conversations in English with pretty much any pre-university student in Japan.
    ftfy
    車庫 B1F

  10. #130
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,402

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    ftfy
    Even university English majors don't have great English unless they spent a year abroad.

  11. #131
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,062

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    So I guess in Osaka it's all ES/JHS... I'm really excited because that's what I wanted, but I bet it'll be a handful haha. Gonna have to get my energy up..
    Not true. Osaka is a designated city and has ES/JHS/ and SHS. (designated cities operate like mini states basically)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  12. #132
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Not true. Osaka is a designated city and has ES/JHS/ and SHS. (designated cities operate like mini states basically)
    Municipal high schools exist in smaller cities too.
    車庫 B1F

  13. #133

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Municipal high schools exist in smaller cities too.
    Do non-designated cities control their own HS at the city level BOE or do they go through the prefecture BOE? I live near a designated city and non of the smaller cities around have any HS JET ALTs (mostly direct hire.) Actually I don't even think 3/4 of the HS around my town have ALTs at all...

  14. #134
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,062

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    normal cities SHS are prefectual. designated cities should be city government run. Occasionally there are a few hold over municipal SHS, but I'm pretty sure that concept is being phased out.

    There used to be a municipal SHS out here, but it was merged with 3 other prefectual SHS into one super school and the municipal ownership changed (and the employees became prefectual employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  15. #135
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Is the program expanding by bringing in a lot more HS ALTs? I never really knew any prefectural ALTs, and a lot of people are posting that they are. Maybe it was just something that wasn't really done in my region.
    車庫 B1F

  16. #136
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,062

    Default Re: Placement Map??

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Is the program expanding by bringing in a lot more HS ALTs? I never really knew any prefectural ALTs, and a lot of people are posting that they are. Maybe it was just something that wasn't really done in my region.
    Not that I know of. It's expanding city alts for the new ES programs that started (and will start soon) and Tokyo is bringing in a few hundred to get ALTs in all the schools.

    It's likely a regional thing to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •