Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dental things

Default Re: Dental things

I think it's all genetic. You know. Small island countries.

Dirty inbred Lannisters.

Or it could have to do with the lack of fluoride in the water and less (none?) of it in most toothpastes too. But I think topical application doesn't really do much compared to ingesting it.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I really do think it comes from the excessive brushing to be honest. They brush after every meal and for like 5 minutes. Basically rubbing off all the enamel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Or it could have to do with the lack of fluoride in the water and less (none?) of it in most toothpastes too. But I think topical application doesn't really do much compared to ingesting it.
    Eh I was basing this post off of old information I read. According to wikipedia it makes it back into your saliva via blood plasma. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by Virgil; May 29th, 2015 at 16:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysi View Post
    Anyone have any experience/knowledge of having wisdom teeth removed in Japan? I'm debating if I want to get them done before I leave, or just wait and hope they don't cause any problems for the next few years. I've had a few issues with swelling, but nothing recently (knock on wood). So just wondering if it would be worth it to just get it over with. I have pretty good insurance right now, and my dentist recommend me to go to a dental surgeon to get it done if that makes a difference. Any insight/advice is much appreciated
    I know I'm late to the party, but like I said in another thread, I really don't recommend getting your wisdom teeth out right before you come. If you have to, you have to, and I think getting it done in your home country is better than getting it done in Japan. But it is seriously such an unnecessary stress when you first arrive.

Your recovery might go smoothly. Mine did not. I had a bad reaction to the Vicodin, I was out of work for over a week at a time when I wanted to be saving up money, I couldn't eat normally for a while and was losing weight (which some might find to be a positive, but I looked kind of sickly)... This was all at a time when I was saying goodbye to people and getting ready to move to a foreign country.

Then I actually came to Japan, with gaping holes in my mouth that needed to be cleaned out after eating so little food bits didn't get trapped in my gums as the holes started to close. And now I have a scar on my elbow from an unfortunate gum-cleaning incident.

In short, one of my biggest regrets before coming was getting my wisdom teeth out.

If anyone is looking into wisdom teeth extraction in the States, I would recommend you do it now or at least within the next two weeks. I got mine taken out two weeks ago (overcrowding and impacted growth) and even though it's a pain being careful eating and keeping the extraction sites clean, I'm glad I did it here. Even though it isn't a huge deal, it's still somewhat major surgery. Getting it done while you're living and working in another country with very little in the way of direct support, i.e. no friends and family living with you, as well as language/culture barriers will probably be really stressful, which can delay recovery. If you can afford to take time off for the surgery itself and maybe a day or two after while still in the U.S., do it. Yes, it can be expensive, but many dentists and oral surgeons offer interest-free payment plans and will try their best to work with you even if you don't have insurance.

As for the surgery/operation itself, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to two months to heal completely and like others have echoed, the first few days are going to suck. You want knockout drugs unless you enjoy listening to your teeth being crushed and drilled out. You want extra-strength painkillers just in case. And you want easy access to your doc in case of infection/dry socket/other post-surgery complications, especially a doctor who can speak in English. Most importantly though, you want your family and/or friends to take care of you at least the first few days because you'll be in pain right after and will be subsisting on soft food days through the first few days. The oral surgeon I went to had great reviews on Google and he handled my issues (3 extractions, 1 coronectomy because that tooth had already grown/wrapped around the mandibular nerve) really well. Surgery took about an hour. I went under general anesthesia, so coming out from that wasn't fun, but at least I wasn't conscious during the procedure.

Just a final general note, if you are having wisdom teeth issues or will likely have them, best to get them out before you're 25 because they'll have grown deep roots by that point. The older you get, the greater chance of complications plus recovery time slows down too.