Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental things

Default Dental things

So I have a few fillings that I need to get taken care of eventually. I could get it done here in US, before I leave, but it'll be expensive because I'll exceed my insurance quota and they won't cover it. So my question to you guys already in Japan is how does the dental insurance work in Japan? I know it might take a million visits to get everything fixed but do they also have quotas I need to worry about? Will it also be expensive over there?

Default Re: Dental things

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    So I have a few fillings that I need to get taken care of eventually. I could get it done here in US, before I leave, but it'll be expensive because I'll exceed my insurance quota and they won't cover it. So my question to you guys already in Japan is how does the dental insurance work in Japan? I know it might take a million visits to get everything fixed but do they also have quotas I need to worry about? Will it also be expensive over there?
    My filling was super cheap, and it feels great. I would suggest getting those sorts of dental things done in Japan. If there's anything more difficult than a filling going on in your mouth do it in the states.

Cool, thanks!

I've had no problem with dentists in Japan so far. In fact, I wish I started going sooner. I put it off because I was worried about the billions of visits and other horror stories I heard from other ALTs. But my local dentist is really cool. The first time I went, I got in right away and they fixed everything in one visit. There are tons of dentists, so if you don't like your first one, go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Ebi; April 26th, 2015 at 11:43.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Always get your work done in Japan if you are American. The work here is cheaper than any deductible back home unless you're on an amazing insurance program. The work is top notch, they just take a few visits is all. You will have planets of time to get it done on your job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

It’s way cheaper, but the only problem is that if you have a lot of fillings, expect to go 3-4+ times, or 1 filling per visit. Or they may even do half a filling one appointment, and then finish it the next time. It’s weird like that.

I know that my dentist in the USA could do 4 or 5 fillings on one appointment.

Even cleanings might take 2 appointments, IDK why…

Yeah, I had six done in one visit over here and I've got another six to go before the treatment is done...but I think I might put it off because of my current insurance quotes.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Banned

Just for reference, don't count on your procedure definitely being super cheap here. I think maybe I mentioned this somewhere, but one of my fillings here cost ¥3000 and the other cost ¥35000. The second used a different material not covered by insurance. It's probably still cheaper than America, and maybe other countries too, but just be aware you may need to budget more.

I recently had white filling put in here in the states. My estimate for metal was about $68, estimate for the white was about $320 or so, lol. That's with insurance though.

Well, thanks to my insurance quota, if I were to get my fillings done here it'd be around $900. So...it sounds like Japan is still the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    I recently had white filling put in here in the states. My estimate for metal was about $68, estimate for the white was about $320 or so, lol. That's with insurance though.
    Jeebus! At my dentist the silver was $25 and the white $79. I'm trying to get all mine work done before I go. Only a crown left to go. After that, I'll only have to schedule a cleaning at some point in Japan (assuming I won't need any more fillings in the near future).

Silly question, but does anyone know anything about dental implants in Japan - like whether or not they are covered in certain situations, how the process works, etc. and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    Jeebus! At my dentist the silver was $25 and the white $79.
    It depends on the type of insurance you have and where the fillings are located. Mine were back molars, so it wasn't necessary to get them filled with white, but the white does hold together a lot better for longer. Plus my dentist is a champ. Never once did a botched job. I love her, haha. I'm actually going to schedule a general cleaning before I leave (though it'll be entirely out of pocket for about $108 or so since I already got my scheduled check-up back in February).

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of having wisdom teeth removed in Japan? I'm debating if I want to get them done before I leave, or just wait and hope they don't cause any problems for the next few years. I've had a few issues with swelling, but nothing recently (knock on wood). So just wondering if it would be worth it to just get it over with. I have pretty good insurance right now, and my dentist recommend me to go to a dental surgeon to get it done if that makes a difference. Any insight/advice is much appreciated
    Last edited by Elysi; May 19th, 2015 at 16:08.

Take care of your wisdom teeth here. If you're having problems with swelling, just go for it. Last thing you'd want happen is the wisdoms grow in more and screw up all your other teeth and have to get all that fixed in Japan.

When I got all four of mine removed way back when, my back molars couldn't touch for a good week because of swelling. Having close family/friends around to give you a hand is sure helpful when you can't eat normal food, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    Take care of your wisdom teeth here. If you're having problems with swelling, just go for it. Last thing you'd want happen is the wisdoms grow in more and screw up all your other teeth and have to get all that fixed in Japan.

When I got all four of mine removed way back when, my back molars couldn't touch for a good week because of swelling. Having close family/friends around to give you a hand is sure helpful when you can't eat normal food, haha.
    The major difference in dental work seems to be cost vs convenience. In the US, it's expensive - but the dentists hand out painkillers like candy and will gladly administer extra numbing/anesthesia (laughing gas anyone?.) In Japan, you'll pay much, much less, but you'll have to deal with multiple appointments, shitty painkillers, and much less effective anesthesia.

Although that might be due more to the frequency by which we hear horror stories instead of success stories about Japanese dentists.

Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Yep. It's pretty cheap out here!

Thanks everyone for the input! Definitely going to want painkillers & anesthesia going by what my dentist said about them, so another thing added to the ever growing list of stuff to get done before July. Oh joy...

Is it just me who wouldn't even dream of letting a 'dentist' here go anywhere near their mouth?

This is the country that thinks it's ok (indeed - mandatory!) to brush within minutes of eating, plus it's the country that... well.. have you seen the state of people's teeth here?!

If I had the chance to get my teeth looked at/checked up by a USA dentist I would jump at the chance.

Madness.

Every time I go to the dentist's I see people with xrays that look like their teeth were knocked out with buck shot.

But, like I said I got into this tooth trouble because I didn't want to see a dentist the first time I was here. Maybe if I had seen one when the problem began I wouldn't be where I am now.