Thread: Bills (money things)

Default Bills (money things)

I was wondering what denomination of bills is too high for actual usage. I had a Japanese friend travel with me recently and she paid me back in yen but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to use the 10000 ones, ha. Can you exchange them at a bank for smaller bills?

Default Re: Bills (money things)

Those bills are very commonly used. You can use them to buy a 180 yen train ticket at stations or a bottle of water at a little shop. You don't need to worry about that.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by singinglupines View Post
    I was wondering what denomination of bills is too high for actual usage. I had a Japanese friend travel with me recently and she paid me back in yen but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to use the 10000 ones, ha. Can you exchange them at a bank for smaller bills?
    There's no better feeling than breaking a man for a couple of cans of Asahi and a deck of ciggies. They're used every single day for the most minor of purposes. Enjoy your spending.

Woah. I've had Czech people refuse to take my money before because it was too much! (500 czk, $25 bill, for something around 50 czk, $2)

I will exercise my spending power. The more coins and bills the better, right? XD

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    There's no better feeling than breaking a man for a couple of cans of Asahi and a deck of ciggies. They're used every single day for the most minor of purposes. Enjoy your spending.
    I read that as an English word first, and thought you were very cruel.
    車庫 B1F

Breaking men and mans is a daily ritual of mine.

But since you mentioned coins, singinglupines, if you ever have exact change for coins use them! So many people here stupidly refuse to use their coins because "it's a hassle," but you will drown in an avalanche of coins unless you use them. The "dollars" here are the size of American quarters, so it's really easy to mentally devalue them while accumulating 8,000 yen in change.

My gas station accepted all coins, so I never let them accumulate, and it was the best thing ever.
    車庫 B1F

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

10,000 is essentially our hundred dollar notes back home, with a huge difference. this is not a credit/plastic country, so large amounts of cash carry and exchange is VERY normal.

Also, if you're getting money before coming over, don't let the bank give you the 2,000 denomination notes. They can be refused over here because they just aren't in circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah, coins are super useful! I've spent a fair amount of time with euros and czech crowns which have a $5 coin so I get that! I'm also the type of person that loves getting together exact change.

Good to know about the 2000s. I'm just taking what she gave me and I'll pull the rest from ATMs as I go. I will miss swiping my credit card for a candy bar. The US is the only place I've been that's so heavy plastic favored. Such convenience.

Yeah 2000s are kind of like 2 dollar bills, though in Okinawa they are more common due to them being printed in commemoration of a summit that took place there, so if you end up going there it won't be much of an issue. I remember getting them as change somewhat often and no one batted an eye when I used them except on the mainland.

They're not impossible to use from what I've seen. There was a German dude who brought all of his money over during exchange and the bank only gave him 2sens. It was regularly met with exclamations of wonder and excitement. He even had people offer to pay him 3sen for a 2sen bill. He never reported people refusing to take them.

Yeah I got a few two senners in my party bag from Bank of Scotland on the way over. Used them all without anyone blinking an eye.

Banned

In America it's illegal to refuse currency, so you might feel like an asshole buying a pack of gum for $.25 using a $100 bill, but technically a merchant can't refuse you. In practice, that's not always the case, as a lot of places will post signs saying they don't accept anything over $20 bills. I wonder if that's the same everywhere. I've never heard of 2000 notes being refused either, but I guess if a cashier drone were flustered enough by the lack of a slot, they might refuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    In America it's illegal to refuse currency, so you might feel like an asshole buying a pack of gum for $.25 using a $100 bill, but technically a merchant can't refuse you.
    Damn I feel like an obnoxious arse for saying this, but that's not actually true; they can.

Quote Originally Posted by snopes
    In other words,U.S. currency and coins can be used for making payments, but merchants do not necessarily have to accept it for all forms of business transactions. If a shoemaker wants to sell his products for 8000 jelly beans per pair, he's entitled to do so; the buyer cannot demand that he accept the equivalent value in legal tender instead. However, legal tender is the default method of payment assumed in contractual agreements involving debts and payments for goods or services unless otherwise specified. So, for example, if an automobile dealer signs a contract agreeing to sell you a car for $8,000, but when you begin making monthly payments he rejects them and insists he wants to be paid in gold instead, you can go to court and have your debt discharged on the grounds that valid payment was offered and refused.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Of all things for you to feel like an ass about, word. That's one of those simple pieces of misinformation that's supported by an easily verifiable fact (it says it right there on our money!) so it bears no further investigation. I never even suspected it was untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Damn I feel like an obnoxious arse for saying this, but that's not actually true; they can.
    I know at my work in the US, the tills get incredibly low on Sunday and oftentimes we don't have 10's for most of the day (the bank is closed). Our company forbids us to hold 20's in our drawers for theft reasons. So when a customer comes in and slaps a pack of gum down and hands us a $100 bill, we ask them if they have smaller change or a card. If they refuse, then we ask them if they'd like to do a money order or gift card instead. If no, then we hand them $97 in 5's and 1's, lol. They get so pissed.

Of course if I or a coworker hasn't dropped 20's yet, we can use them to give people change. Once they're dropped in the safe, they're unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    but I guess if a cashier drone were flustered enough by the lack of a slot, they might refuse it.
    This seems so plausible and even likely to me.
    車庫 B1F