Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about getting rid of everything in my apartment if successor changes location

Default Worried about getting rid of everything in my apartment if successor changes location

Hello. I'm posting on my friend's account because she has posting permission already (I don't have an account) and said it was okay.

I'll be returning to my home country this July, at the end of my 2-year JET appointment, and am very worried about getting rid of the items in my apartment. Like many others, I don't know if my successor will actually choose to take my apartment or not, but if they don't want it (the rent is 65000/month, so they might want something cheaper), it seems I'll be SOL. I'm a prefectural JET, so all of the items in my apartment belong to me, not my BOE. On top of this, my predecessor left me a TON of stuff-- way more than she described to me and also stuff from the many JETs before her, and asked me to pay a small fortune for the crap to boot (boo hoo, happens to many of us I know).

There is just so much stuff! There's even multiples of the same item, such as couches, tons of redundant cooking supplies, multiple dressers and shelving units, desks and chairs... The list goes on and on. Now, in order to not pain my successor with the same headache I was left with, I plan to get rid of all the duplicates as best I can before he/she arrives. My worry is that he/she will not choose to live in the same apartment as me due to the cost and that I will be forced to sell everything or pay for its disposal. This is a problem because A) I won't know who my successor is and might not know their choice until just a couple short weeks before my departure, and B) I simply will not have enough money to pay for the disposal of what I can't sell. My landlord will require 2 months of rent plus a cleaning fee upon my departure and I have been sending money back to my ill mother-in-law every few months instead of saving.

What can I do? I feel like I will really be in a bad situation if my successor doesn't want my apartment. Also, my supervisor has already told me that she is planning on discouraging my successor from taking my apartment due to the fact that they will not be married and therefore "don't need a 2K."

Lastly, my school isn't able to provide me with a moving truck or anything like that in order to move the items I have into a new apartment for my successor if they need. I definitely couldn't lift the stuff anyway. I'm just pointing this out since one of my JET friend's schools did lend her a moving truck once, and I'm not sure if that's common practice or not.

I'm really stressed about this all and I don't want to give the same problem to my successor, which is why I will try to get rid of what I can. What can I do for the rest of it? After all, my successor might need the stuff that's here if she/he DOES choose to stay here.

Thank you, everyone. Also, if possible, could we try not to focus on my past mistake of accepting the stuff (for a price!) in the first place? I now realize I was being stupid and desperate!

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Worried about getting rid of everything in my apartment if successor changes loca

Have you offered any of your things to other JETs in your prefecture? I don't know how close you are to anyone else, but you might be able to find a way to get rid of things for free that way.

Any good quality stuff could probably be taken to a recycle shop, but you probably won't get a lot of money for it. If you have excess clothes and things of that nature you don't want, even stuff you don't think will sell, some recycle shops will take them anyways and just give you a tiny amount based on how much it weighs since they will sell them to textile factories as recyclable material. I took several bags of unwanted, (probably) unsellable clothes to a recycle shop last summer when I moved apartments.

Try looking online and asking around to both foreign and Japanese coworkers/friends to see what they have done with their excess stuff. I suggest asking locals because they'll have a better idea of what options are available in your area.

Also, if you're open to shipping things to people around Japan, I found this Facebook group with 3,000+ members that is dedicated to helping people share/get rid of unwanted stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/276522392525201/

Good luck!
    Last edited by Ebi; May 10th, 2015 at 18:36.

Default Re: Worried about getting rid of everything in my apartment if successor changes loca

Quote Originally Posted by DrumTheDarling View Post
    Lastly, my school isn't able to provide me with a moving truck or anything like that in order to move the items I have into a new apartment for my successor if they need. I definitely couldn't lift the stuff anyway. I'm just pointing this out since one of my JET friend's schools did lend her a moving truck once, and I'm not sure if that's common practice or not.
    It's not. Most teachers use a private moving company when they transfer to a new school.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumTheDarling View Post
    What can I do for the rest of it? After all, my successor might need the stuff that's here if she/he DOES choose to stay here.
    In the worst case scenario, your successor won't want your apartment and you won't be able to sell/give away/dispose of everything. Either you'll have the money or you won't. Realistically, though, you probably *will* have enough money, it'll just be more money than you'll want to part with. Even if you run away from the problem, they'll probably just pull it from your last paycheck or pension refund. Better deal with the problem on your own terms. Look into home much it would cost to get an industrial dumpster delivered outside your place and dragged off. My landlord did that before they had me an' MG move in; I believe it only cost a few man for a van-sized dumpster to be delivered and taken away.

If you have good friends in the area, they'll probably reluctantly help you out. I've helped out a few friends in this way before, including an unexpected hoarder who filled my van with a mountain of garbage upon leaving. I didn't enjoy it, but I'm willing to help out a FRAN in need.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I agree with Word. You'll probably be able to manage financially in the event that your successor rejects your apartment, even if it's expensive. But I would recommend cutting down the junk as much as possible before you leave to reduce the possible fees you might incur.

Can't you just borrow a kei truck and take a trip to the tip? It cost me less than 1000 yen per truckload.

Renting a kei truck for the day shouldn't cost more than 5-6000en, in my experience. I rented a much larger truck for under a man when I moved.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I would seriously start contacting other alts in the area and offering it up for free if they come and get it. In my area we have stuff floating around from the beginning of jet that just gets passed on. Hell my couch is probably on owner 7 or 8 by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Call a private disposal company. They might pay you for metal items they can scrap, and the company I used ended up being cheaper than calling the regular garbage folks. Also, be careful with recycle shops because they usually don't take stuff like beds (unless it's the kind that folds up) or appliances older than 5/10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Call a private disposal company. They might pay you for metal items they can scrap, and the company I used ended up being cheaper than calling the regular garbage folks. Also, be careful with recycle shops because they usually don't take stuff like beds (unless it's the kind that folds up) or appliances older than 5/10 years.
    The ones I found were hideously expensive. Is there some term I should be googling?

Try "(prefecture) 家庭ゴミ回収" though cost might depend on your area.

Thank you for the advice, everyone.
    I'm afraid of getting rid of things in case if my successor does want my place. Of course I will eliminate the duplicates as planned anyway, but I worry they will need the bed, refrigerator, sofa, bookshelves, cooking things, curtains (I have 13 windows...), dresser, etc. if they do move in. However, I didn't get my first email from my predecessor until a few day into July! So, I might not even know if they are staying here or not until mid-July. I leave Japan on July 31st... What do most JETs do in this situation? It seems the ALTs before me have been handing down their things all the way down to me.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Don't feel bad about leaving them with very little. It's not such a bad thing to have to make your place your own rather than inhabiting a place that you inherit.

If they do take your place and you feel bad go spend 5000yen at the dollar store on basics and a pot and they'll be fine after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah, don't feel bad. Also, it's a big bad world and you need to look out for yourself. Don't cause yourself any major problems just because you MIGHT have the opportunity to help someone else. I would definitely start getting rid of stuff and leave some of the more important things for last, but be prepared to lose them too.

When I moved out of an ALT apartment with years of stuff, I loaded it all in my car and took it to the dump. They weighed my car, took all the trash out, and weighed it again to determine the cost. It was like 600 yen. Best move ever. Rent a car or have a friend help, and you can do this over and over again.
    車庫 B1F

Wow, that sounds like a good deal! I'll definitely check into it!

What do you guys think of this idea: I'll keep the essentials and ask my friends to help me move it all into a new apartment if my successor will take a new one (my friends bring the car, I bring the beer and pizza kind of thing if they are up to it) and if I don't have a successor at all, I'll do the dump option that BifCarbet mentioned. Even if find out that I don't have a successor in mid-July, two weeks should be enough time to drive the stuff to a dump, right? Argh, I just don't know haha...

Also, my trash pickup paper says in English that we can just leave large items outside in the pick-up area, though I find this extremely hard to believe... However, there are pictures of dressers and bookshelves with a big "MARU" symbol next to them... Perhaps I could potentially leave them out but would have to somehow pay for their removal? I really don't know that this paper is saying between the lines about that haha. Plus, I kind of want to dump everything at once if I have to, and there is of course a rule against mass garbage removal at my apartment complex. So, again, maybe I'll go for BigCarbet's great suggestion!

I'm still curious about what my paper is saying here for the pots and pans. It says I can leave those in the garbage area of my apartment, but again doesn't mention a price. I thought you had to print out a sticker or something for large items and pay for them to be removed. Can I really just leave the kitchenware in the garbage area without a fee? Perhaps these rules vary by location, as my friend in another city had to pay a huge fee to have a broken refrigerator removed that her pred left her (there were 3 fridges in the place!).

Oh god I'm rambling now. Anyway, thank you!

The trash pickup will vary pretty wildly depending on your city's regulations. In my old village, trash pickup was horrid and complicated. Big items could only be disposed of once a year. Same for batteries and light bulbs. In my new city, things are much, much easier; pickups are far more frequent and regular, separation rules are a little less strict, etc. Some items are special, though--refrigerators are considered toxic (probably due to coolant?) and will probably be expensive to dispose of no matter where you are.

The same variation of pricing probably occurs, as well, unfortunately. In my old village, I had to pay for special bags for certain items, as well as special tags for bundles of cardboard and the like. In my new city, I only have to pay for burnable bags and plastic bags--everything else is free.

Now that I think about it, though, I was able to arrange for disposal of an old bicycle and a bunch of other crap for under a man--had it picked up from my house, even. I did it by asking an old neighbor who happened to know the garbage pick-up dude. He just called him up and asked him, and the dude said to leave everything out front under a tarp and he'd bill me. As I recall, it was something like 6000en for a kei truck-load. I didn't hafta sort it or anything.

Oh, a word of warning about the dump--I tried taking a bunch of stuff to the dump once, and it was cheap (weighing the car) and easy... but they didn't take everything. There were a group of old men who went through everything I brought--to the point of tearing open bags and examining the contents--and they refused certain metal, old bags of fertilizer (I still have no idea wtf I'm gonna do with those (ah the joys of living in an old farmhouse)), and various other things. I'd definitely recommend trying it, but don't bank on them just tossing everything into a hole the way we do in the US.

Banned

Recycle shops will come and pick up anything thats in half decent condition, for the rest just break it down into smaller pieces, bag it up in non-burnable garbage bags and throw it on the appropriate day. If you are worried about the grannie patrol coming down on you take it to a neighbouring gomi-station rather than your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbia View Post
    take it to a neighbouring gomi-station rather than your own.
    Gaijin Smash
    車庫 B1F

I find it interesting that people going to Japan on JET let their preds charge them so much for their stuff. Just say you don't want it, or negotiate for a lower price. As it stands your moving in to the place and they are leaving the country. From a buyers stand point you have ALL the power. What are they gonna do if you don't want to buy it? Take it with them? Chances are they will just leave their stuff there and they are just trying to gauge you for some money. I feel like this image is appropriate for preds who overcharge incoming JETs for their furniture.

Last edited by genkispirit; May 25th, 2015 at 01:17.

you're
    buyer's

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    I find it interesting that people going to Japan on JET let their preds charge them so much for their stuff. Just say you don't want it, or negotiate for a lower price. As it stands your moving in to the place and they are leaving the country. From a buyers stand point you have ALL the power. What are they gonna do if you don't want to buy it?
    Maybe nothing, but they might also do something like pull out a vent panel and drop a fresh fish into the wall so that your apartment reeks of rotting fish for the first few months of your JET experience. Don't feel obligated to buy anything, but remember that this person is living where you'll be living in a few months. Don't piss them off.

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    Chances are they will just leave their stuff there and they are just trying to gauge you for some money.
    gouge