Thread: General advice for teaching ES/JHS

Default General advice for teaching ES/JHS

I'll be municipal and in Osaka (which doesn't have any prefectural) so I know I'll for sure be teaching ES/JHS kids. I've heard there's generally more freedom for ALTs with lesson planning/teaching more lessons, etc. I've never taught in my life! Wondering if any current ES/JHS ALTs could share their experiences and/or sagely advice!

Default Re: General advice for teaching ES/JHS

Oh! I'm working on something right now that I hope to post in a few days. But I hope other people chime in with their advice.

(Just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring you, I'm just still putting together my thoughts.)

Thanks so much! On top of that, there's a rumor my city might be new to the JET program, so I may not have a pred to bum lesson plans off of lol. Definitely looking for any advice I can get.

There are a lot of resources for lessons as well as activities. Englipedia has a lot of resources. Various AJET chapters' wiki pages often have a bunch of links too. Akita has a bunch of games/lessons as well.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Don't worry about stuff like this until you're actually there and dealing with it. They might have expectations for ALTs to do activities/classrooms in a semi-standardized way, which means prepping before you go is a waste of time. Also, you will have plenty of time before your first class to get this type of stuff figured out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Don't worry about stuff like this until you're actually there and dealing with it. They might have expectations for ALTs to do activities/classrooms in a semi-standardized way, which means prepping before you go is a waste of time. Also, you will have plenty of time before your first class to get this type of stuff figured out.
    Cool. Yeah I'm not really looking to prep stuff right now, just to get some general ideas for what to expect/how lesson planning might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post

Just following up on this - you'll probably have a good 3-4 weeks of no-classes etc when you arrive if you are in Group A. In my school, the first class was the last week of August/first week of September. Although I did Speech contest and other community stuff - as well as the mandatory orientation - during that time.

I think it's a good idea to see how the students are like in the classrooms, and even observe how the JTEs teach. But, our roles as ALTs are different from them. Sometimes, better if we weren't so much....Anyhow, I've been working on something that I hope will be useful for team-teaching between junior high JTEs and ALTs. Even trying to have lessons with a smooth transition from elementary schools to junior high schools. Please google Eigo Ganbare.

Calm down, guys. It seems quite possible alee50 is Japanese. If s/he has managed to produce this site alone, then I'm reasonably impressed. I'm not sure how I feel about seeing the site hawked here, but I'm willing to give it a pass at the moment. Let's try to keep our criticism constructive, if we can.
    Last edited by word; February 2nd, 2016 at 22:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Calm down, guys. It seems quite possible alee50 is Japanese.
    Since they were on JET, I doubt it.

O

Sorry; I'd missed that part.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.