Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: "The Last Supper" Thread for 2015 JETs

Default Re: "The Last Supper" Thread for 2015 JETs

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    A friend has a bread maker. I know how to make sourdough. I'm considering leasing the bread maker sometime in the next couple of weeks. Haha
    My parents bought a bread maker a few years ago. They are brilliant.

Did they ever figure out how to make good sourdough outside the bay area? I remember there being a kind of bacteria that is only in that area being the reason for their superior sourdough.

My dad has a bread maker and has had four over the past 20 years. He's German and can't stand American bread so I've only ever had homemade bread. His sourdough is great. I'm think of getting a bread maker in Japan as his current machine is Japanese and works wonderfully.

Breadmakers are nice, but I'd rather have a stand mixer and a real oven instead. Probably because I don't make or like to make square/sandwich breads.

Although my shitty little micro-oven works decent for pizza as long as you preheat the stone.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Breadmakers are nice, but I'd rather have a stand mixer and a real oven instead. Probably because I don't make or like to make square/sandwich breads.

Although my shitty little micro-oven works decent for pizza as long as you preheat the stone.
    Word. Though maybe not on the mixer... not that needed really. But a proper food processor would be nice.

The oven though... GOD I WANT AN OVEN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I've been thinking of popping over to Komeri and buying myself a slow cooker. Dunno where I'm going to put it, but I was actual meals without cooking them after I get home. That would be awesome. I'll probably buy one online if they don't stock them though.

Oh man, I can't wait to have a real kitchen.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I've been thinking of popping over to Komeri and buying myself a slow cooker. Dunno where I'm going to put it, but I was actual meals without cooking them after I get home. That would be awesome. I'll probably buy one online if they don't stock them though.

Oh man, I can't wait to have a real kitchen.
    Do you have a K's denki, yamada, or yoshida near by? They'll have the 7000yen slow cooker which is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I have this ah-mazing countertop oven from Breville that can cook a pizza as well as bake cookies etc. It one of those expensive stainless steel ones and does a damn fine job with just about any type of food. I really wish I could bring it, but it's pretty hefty. However, I think it would come in handy for all the things I wanna bake.

I will definitely want to splurge at some point on a microwave convection oven in Japan so I can bake

Maybe some of you have already tried/known this, but I used a toaster oven in Japan for all my cooking. I made biscuits, cookies, roasted veggies, even a pecan pie in it, and it was completely affordable (maybe 5,000 yen for a nice one). I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

It's definitely worth the splurge for a nice toaster oven, preferably convection. I went a year without one and getting it really opened up my cooking options.

And bread machines are unnecessary, especially as you probably won't have the extra counter space to waste on a unitasker (guess who my cooking god is). Spend a few weeks playing around with dough recipes, or even better do it by weight and use ratios.

Basic Dough
    5 parts flour
    3 parts water
    2% salt
    1% yeast
    mix and knead until you pass the windowpane test
    cover and put in the fridge for a few days
    bring to room temp and bake it (or make sweet flatbread in a pan)