Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life after JET?

Default Life after JET?

Hi JET Alum,

Curious to what people did after their time in JET? Obviously things might be different if you hated it or loved it but curious all the same.

Did you stay in Japan to teach?
    Did you move somewhere else to teach?
    Did you continue further study in Japan?
    Did you realise you hated teaching?
    Did you never do anything Japanese again?

Let me know

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien

Default Re: Life after JET?

Stayed in Japan and continued teaching. Moved to nearby town.

Will probably go home in another year or two. Will probably teach there; I quite enjoy it. MG was surprised to find that she liked teaching a lot more than she expected and will probably do the same.

Both of us have pretty rough J-go but we're not especially interested in studying it further. In fact, we're considering trying to study Spanish, instead.
    Last edited by word; May 26th, 2015 at 14:37.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post

Both of us have pretty rough J-go but we're not especially interested in studying it further. In fact, we're considering trying to study Spanish, instead.
    Worst decision of my life as a young person was to decide I didn't care to learn Spanish.

I had a little in high school and tried to improve on it a few times afterwards, but possess nowhere near a useful command of the language. I'd like to hit it again soon; I suspect it'll be a breeze compared to J-go.
    Last edited by word; May 26th, 2015 at 15:02. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Does JET offer much to teachers in the way of Personal/teacher Development days?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starxrox View Post
    Does JET offer much to teachers in the way of Personal/teacher Development days?
    HAHAHAHAHA. No. JET doesn't view ALTs as teachers or professionals (regardless of the stupid hoops we have to go through) so why would we have development days. Really though, it's that the teachers don't get them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

CPD is definitely not a thing in Japan.

Ahh that's a shame. Here in Australia, it's mandatory for teachers so they are able to register. 60 hours worth every year.

I basically became an adult during JET. The only growing pains I didn't experience during my time here is the job hunt, and since I graduated into the Recession, it has me terrified.

Quote Originally Posted by CUPS View Post
    CPD is definitely not a thing in Japan.
    The only exception I've seen for Japanese teachers is sponsorship of graduate level degrees. The teachers can apply for 1 year (with pay) to attend classes to obtain a Masters etc in Education/their specialized field. In the case of Education, they come back to the school after the first year.

For ALTs the closest thing you get is SDC or TEFL grants. If you're school really wants it, they'll allow the ALT to use normal work hours towards getting a certification. (120 hours outside of normal work hours sucks.)

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    The only exception I've seen for Japanese teachers is sponsorship of graduate level degrees. The teachers can apply for 1 year (with pay) to attend classes to obtain a Masters etc in Education/their specialized field. In the case of Education, they come back to the school after the first year.

For ALTs the closest thing you get is SDC or TEFL grants. If you're school really wants it, they'll allow the ALT to use normal work hours towards getting a certification. (120 hours outside of normal work hours sucks.)
    That's awesome. Thanks for that webstaa 🏻

I should add that the TEFL grant goes out around this time every year, so it isn't even the best timing for an ALT planning to stay only one or two years. Depends on how long you and your CO want you to stay.

I should add that the TEFL grant goes out around this time every year, so it isn't even the best timing for an ALT planning to stay only one or two years. Depends on how long you and your CO want you to stay.
    I think that is the point of the timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Word. Why give it to a one year alt, give it to an alt continuing onto year two or more
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Word. Why give it to a one year alt, give it to an alt continuing onto year two or more
    Waste 1/3 or even 1/2 of that ALTs time? I understand the reasoning, I just don't agree with it. - The only upside to it is the setup if they enroll/do the coursework in summer.

Waste 1/3 or even 1/2 of that ALTs time? I understand the reasoning, I just don't agree with it. - The only upside to it is the setup if they enroll/do the coursework in summer.
    What time is being wasted?

I don't think any of my stuff came through until late August, early September iirc.

Anyone with a passing understanding of basic English structure has no real problem passing the online courses. I crammed the day before I took the final exam, and passed the test no problem. (Although it was a -really- long test.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    What time is being wasted?
    The year they spend waiting for their TEFL course when they only stay 2 or 3 years. That's a full 1/3 or 1/2 before they get the training/skills they want/need to do a better job. (inb4 all ALT time is time wasted etc.)

The year they spend waiting for their TEFL course when they only stay 2 or 3 years. That's a full 1/3 or 1/2 before they get the training/skills they want/need to do a better job. (inb4 all ALT time is time wasted etc.)
    Ah, but if they wanted ALTs to do a better job, they'd provide something more comprehensive than a distance course.

To do what is asked of some ALTs, they'd need to be trained properly in ESL. (As in classes, observing trained professionals, etc.) This was just a bandaid on a problem because ALTs kicked up enough of a fuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah, I think an online course like this is going to be much more useful to someone who has spent at least a year fumbling their way through the ALT gig. If it was before, they won't have context for most of the informating being funneled into their brains.