Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life after JET?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Life after JET?

Quote Originally Posted by starxrox View Post
    Wow! Thanks for writing all that.
    I'm starting to get a broader understanding now.

In your opinion Gizmotech: do the positives out weigh the negatives?
    Sorry I forgot to reply to you. Umm, yes for the most part, but you need to live a relatively independant life. If you're the type of person who is constantly looking at the success (or failures) of your peers back home, or those around you, this is not the job for you. It will get VERY depressing when you're in your second or third year and your friends back home are getting married/starting families/going on vacations, and while you don't live at home, you aren't really travelling either. Living abroad is a very different experience from travelling, and even when living you will want to travel to (more so than your friends back home, as you MOVED ABROAD in the first place).

The unhappiest people I meet over here are the ones with strong ties to home. The happiest (and often slightly jaded) are those who are trying to build their life abroad, or just don't have those strong ties back.

If you're one of those independent, not heavily connected, can eat shit and give it to types, English teaching is for you. You will travel, see places, teach kids who may or may not want to be taught, meet all types, and have a real adventure. When you're 60, you'll be the interesting person at all the parties because you can talk about everything that noone else knows, but sadly you will be buming a 20 for cab fare back home cuz you're broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    If you're one of those independent, not heavily connected, can eat shit and give it to types, English teaching is for you. You will travel, see places, teach kids who may or may not want to be taught, meet all types, and have a real adventure. When you're 60, you'll be the interesting person at all the parties because you can talk about everything that noone else knows, but sadly you will be buming a 20 for cab fare back home cuz you're broke.
    You just described the dream.

Although I plan to die early (and alone) of liver failure so if I make it to 60 I won't have much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Sorry I forgot to reply to you. Umm, yes for the most part, but you need to live a relatively independant life. If you're the type of person who is constantly looking at the success (or failures) of your peers back home, or those around you, this is not the job for you. It will get VERY depressing when you're in your second or third year and your friends back home are getting married/starting families/going on vacations, and while you don't live at home, you aren't really travelling either. Living abroad is a very different experience from travelling, and even when living you will want to travel to (more so than your friends back home, as you MOVED ABROAD in the first place).

The unhappiest people I meet over here are the ones with strong ties to home. The happiest (and often slightly jaded) are those who are trying to build their life abroad, or just don't have those strong ties back.

Deep down, I think I knew all that. I appreciate the straight forward response. You highlighted a few things I suspected.

Geez, it's a bloody tough choice though. I feel like I need a few life times to do everything I want to.

I will still apply for JET and a South Korean counterpart if that falls through. I know I at least want to try. Not to mention the severe lack of teaching jobs in South Australia at the moment.

Thanks team for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    You just described the dream.

Although I plan to die early (and alone) of liver failure so if I make it to 60 I won't have much longer.
    We'd have something to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by starxrox View Post
    I feel like I need a few life times to do everything I want to.
    Well, you get one. I say pull the trigger, and never look back.
    車庫 B1F