Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst parts of Rural life in Japan

Default Re: Best and worst parts of Rural life in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    This is why you're my favorite, eh... Seneca?
    You'll eventually have to loop back. There's only so many Roman poets.

Pros: Easy to get to know people in town. I'm on a first name basis with many restaurants. The okonomiyaki place often gives me free beer.

Cons: Students. Students everywhere. They all have part time jobs, and I can't leave my house without running into at least one person I teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    So much of what Bif said. I get invited to barbecues while taking walks from family members of students or by the people who work at the local Konbini. People hand me produce that they've grown. I feel sort of like a celebrity.

... I have an awesome bus that stops outside my house and takes me to a major city. That's not typical though.
    Controversial perhaps, but I would say if you have a conbini and/or a direct bus link to a major city (and/or "many restaurants")... you ain't rural
    Last edited by CUPS; June 11th, 2015 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by CUPS View Post
    Controversial perhaps, but I would say if you have a conbini and/or a direct bus link to a major city (and/or "many restaurants")... you ain't rural
    You could say that, but I live on the major intersection of the town. It's really cute. So I got lucky because that intersection goes towards a highway, and as a result I have a conbini. The bus, when it gets to my stop, has already been driving for half an hour from a different town and has about four more stops before it becomes a non-stop. For an ADDED bonus, my town opened up its first supermarket in April.

There used to be a train going through the town, but it went through a population dive a while ago and tore it out, now the closest one is 40 minutes away. Half of the town's structures are old as dirt and are falling down, so they have a small "development" in the back of the town. Otherwise the entire town is on the main road or in the mountains.

I'll call that rural.

Gosh, making me feel really thankful to be where I am. It's got the makings and feel of a declining inaka (big old empty schools and hospitals), but there have been new businesses and stuff coming up with the new shinkansen line that just opened. I've been seeing new sidewalks, a new hotel, groceries widening their stock. It could all be a last ditch, but it's definitely nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    Gosh, making me feel really thankful to be where I am. It's got the makings and feel of a declining inaka (big old empty schools and hospitals), but there have been new businesses and stuff coming up with the new shinkansen line that just opened. I've been seeing new sidewalks, a new hotel, groceries widening their stock. It could all be a last ditch, but it's definitely nice to see.
    Speaking of abandoned schools... I got to go through the staff rooms of some of my town's empty schools (they were grouped into one about 4ish years ago.) The ALT from that time left EVERYTHING English related at the schools. CDs of random English stuff from years gone by, copies of textbooks, etc.

I think I will be in the borderline of suburbs/rural. Has a train stop in the town and the city that is like 15 minutes away has a mall (with uniqlo and a movie theater). But the town itself is mostly farmland and doesn't have much beyond mom and pop stores (Ty google maps!).

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    I think I will be in the borderline of suburbs/rural. Has a train stop in the town and the city that is like 15 minutes away has a mall (with uniqlo and a movie theater). But the town itself is mostly farmland and doesn't have much beyond mom and pop stores (Ty google maps!).
    Sounds perfect.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Speaking of abandoned schools... I got to go through the staff rooms of some of my town's empty schools (they were grouped into one about 4ish years ago.) The ALT from that time left EVERYTHING English related at the schools. CDs of random English stuff from years gone by, copies of textbooks, etc.
    Wooord! I used some egg dye this spring that was manufactured the same year I was born. ..........no one was hurt.

4chinneckbeard, a Uniqlo within 15 minutes is pretty grand! You're Hannah Montana up in dat place.

Ooh, that sounds nice - rural town with easy access to non-inaka!

I'm going to be an hour away from the nearest train station. There's a bus that comes four times a day to a small city half an hour away with restaurants/movie theater/shopping but it costs 760 yen each way. :/ So, I'm going to do a lot of driving. Go inaka Ehime!

Could be worse, thought, right? There could be no bus at all.

There is apparently an Uniqlo where I'm placed too! I'm super excited about that! .
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

Don't get too excited. There's a Uniqlo where I live, too, but 99% of Japanese people would consider my city to be inaka as f*ck.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

"inaka as f*ck" < - hahaha.

Apparently there are malls there? =/. Nanao - Ishikawa JET Resource Wiki
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

I'm glad cause I have legitimately 0 winter clothing, so I can just buy it there. Luckily I'm right on the edge of easy to find Japanese clothing fitting me. But yeah would def be considered inaka by any Japanese living in a decent sized city.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Default Best and worst parts of Rural life in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by tedcase View Post
    Best part was that money simply went further and lasted longer. The air was noticeably cleaner and I had a beautiful beach on my doorstep.
    The JET community was also much closer and friendlier than in the cities.

downsides, Collosal bugs, and freezing winters. I was younger at the time, so a lack of youth culture was pretty draining.
    That about sums it up. Also, you have to travel to do any decent shopping (The two UNIQLOs closest to me are in cities that are 40mins and one hour away by train)
    Last edited by hypatia; June 12th, 2015 at 16:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Got recognized by someone (from behind, on a bike) two towns away (roughly 30km) this weekend. By someone I'm pretty sure I've never met before. First thing that greeted me in the staffroom this morning was rumors about what I was doing 30km away on a bike. Pretty sure that qualifies as 'Something you'll only get in the inaka.'

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Got recognized by someone (from behind, on a bike) two towns away (roughly 30km) this weekend. By someone I'm pretty sure I've never met before. First thing that greeted me in the staffroom this morning was rumors about what I was doing 30km away on a bike. Pretty sure that qualifies as 'Something you'll only get in the inaka.'
    Inaka spies are everywhere.

The only time my husband and I got caught by a student on a date was when we were miles and miles away from our town. We went to a hot spring town a few hours drive away. And at our first stop we ran into a student dressed in her school uniform (which is the only reason I recognized her)... My husband ran into a different student on our second visit to the same hot spring town almost a year later, but it happened in the men's bath so they didn't see me.

Recently, I had the opposite thing happen to me. I walked up to my students at the sports tournament this weekend wearing a hat and sunglasses and they blanked me until I said "Hello". They freaked out and started yammering "Ebi-sensei, wakari-nikui!!" That might be the first time I've successfully blended in in Japan.

I have dark hair and eyes, my kids sometimes don't recognise me until I'm a meter away. That's probably more to do with their glasses complex though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I have dark hair and eyes, my kids sometimes don't recognise me until I'm a meter away. That's probably more to do with their glasses complex though.
    The "I'm half-blind but still don't wear my glasses 90% of the time" shit is everywhere. I've had to tell students that couldn't read the board to either put their glasses on or move to the front of the class... I don't know why homeroom teachers tolerate it.