Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best and worst parts of Rural life in Japan

Default Re: Best and worst parts of Rural life in Japan

Awesome - I really appreciate it, Upgrayedd!

I hadn't heard of Flet's before, so I'm guessing the other Ozu ALTs and the BOE don't use it/aren't aware of it. But that's great to see that hikari apparently exists in my town despite what the BOE said - thank you so much! When I get to Japan I'll give them a call and look into getting it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    There are no wrong/stupid questions.

(Except for the ones that were already asked and people are too lazy to search, but other than that, no wrong/stupid questions! )
    I wasn't referring to the question asleep. By god, ask the questions - that's how you avoid getting sheisted on internet bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Saga View Post

I hadn't heard of Flet's before, so I'm guessing the other Ozu ALTs and the BOE don't use it/aren't aware of it. But that's great to see that hikari apparently exists in my town despite what the BOE said - thank you so much! When I get to Japan I'll give them a call and look into getting it set up.
    Yeah - they'll lie to you if they're not sure since it sounds like trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

If you go through your sup, you'll probably get 'murimuri.' The problem is, it isn't that Hikari can't be run, it's that the BoE/supervisor doesn't want to deal with it for you. If you speak some Japanese, you should be able to get it set up on your own. Go to the local K's or Yamada Denki and make some inquiries if you speak Japanese. Otherwise bbapply exists for the sole reason of helping folks who don't speak Japanese.

It also might depend on your apartment/house landlord. If the building owner has signed a deal with a provider to run fiber to the building, your options might be limited. So it might be an idea to ask your neighbors/landlord (surreptitiously if you BoE turn out to be meddling.) You sometimes can get a discount signing through the landlord's preferred company. (For example, I get ソ・800 off my bill every month for going through OCN.)

The last two posts are great advice. Basically take everything your supervisor says with a grain of salt. Most likely they will always default to the "easiest" solution whenever something comes up and that may or may not be the most optimal for you.

In my experience with Ehime, I found that making strong relationships with teaching staff and other English speaking locals was the best way to resolve problems. The BOE people just couldn't be bothered to go out of their way to do anything.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; July 15th, 2015 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    The last two posts are great advice. Basically take everything your supervisor says with a grain of salt. Most likely they will always default to the "easiest" solution whenever something comes up and that may or may not be the most optimal for you.
    For example, my pred "broke" the dryer in my apartment and asked to get it fixed. Our supe basically said, "ah, shikataganai, ne" and didn't bother looking at it, sending anyone to look at it, nothing. When I moved in it was the same story. I have this beautiful fully furnished place, but on top of my washer is a huge brick that does nothing. "Can I get it fixed?" "Ah, shikataganai, ne," she told me.

Fiddled around with it a couple weeks ago and I found out the the breaker had been turned on it. So it wasn't broken at all, the breaker just needed to be reset.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    For example, my pred "broke" the dryer in my apartment and asked to get it fixed. Our supe basically said, "ah, shikataganai, ne" and didn't bother looking at it, sending anyone to look at it, nothing. When I moved in it was the same story. I have this beautiful fully furnished place, but on top of my washer is a huge brick that does nothing. "Can I get it fixed?" "Ah, shikataganai, ne," she told me.

Fiddled around with it a couple weeks ago and I found out the the breaker had been turned on it. So it wasn't broken at all, the breaker just needed to be reset.
    I had that for a while... I kept blowing the circuit in my apartment (until I figured out what the load balances were on the wires), but my AC died and I couldn't figure it out as all the switches were good. Finally I hit the main on and off and my AC came back to life.

As for fixing shit, they only have to do that if they have provided the hardware to you. If it was bought by a pred, tough shit and pitch it or get it fixed yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

They don't have to do anything after they get all your paperwork set up. They are supposed to help the ALT get established and deal with any unforeseen problems they might run into. I agree that if you've been here for 2 years and you ask your supervisor to help buy you a new microwave then they would be well-justified in telling you to get stuffed, but giving you the cold shoulder from the start is a pretty terrible way to treat the new ALT. An ex-ALT friend of mine basically got the job of supervising Japanese employees in America and her stories make the average ALT seem like Bear Grylls.

It's pretty sad just how unwelcoming some COs can be to their new import. O mo te na shi indeed.

They do if they provided you the hardware. Anything else is optional :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    They do if they provided you the hardware. Anything else is optional :P
    It has the BOE sticker right on it. My perfectly working fridge had the BOE sticker on it too when they so helpfully decided to replace it for me.

Are they actually required to replace that stuff? I'm -pretty sure- that in America it has to be written into the contract. No real idea about Japan, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Are they actually required to replace that stuff? I'm -pretty sure- that in America it has to be written into the contract. No real idea about Japan, though.
    Depends who technically owns it doesn't it? My school technically owns all the appliances in my apartment, and they replace them. They are all marked, and there was a manifest that I checked off when I arrived 4 years ago. When my washer and microwave shat out, they replaced both of them.

That's a lot of really solid advice - thanks guys!

I'll go ahead and (quietly) check with my landlord to see if they have an agreement with any providers once I arrive.

Luckily, I do speak some Japanese, and my RA (incredibly helpful and lives nearby) who speaks even better Japanese than I do has offered to help me get internet set up once I find out what's available and figure out what I want. So, I should be able to work things set up without the BOE or my supervisor having to help me at all. I haven't even brought up the issue with them, as I figure that, like you guys said, it's not really their responsibility to get internet set up for me. Plus, I didn't want to give them a chance to say "shikata ga nai ne" preemptively.

When I do bring it up, I'll be sure to lead with the fact that I will get it set up and they won't need to help me, etc. Luckily, my BOE has been really great up to this point, and I have a different supervisor than my pred did. My supervisor seems very kind and helpful so far.

When I do bring it up, I'll be sure to lead with the fact that I will get it set up and they won't need to help me, etc. Luckily, my BOE has been really great up to this point, and I have a different supervisor than my pred did. My supervisor seems very kind and helpful so far.
    It is totally fine to never bring it up. They're just your employer. I might take flack for saying that, but it really is true. You can just get your internet set up and have that be that. If they ask, just tell them you'll take care of it yourself.
    霆雁コォ縲B1F

That's true. I'll see... I was thinking that perhaps the BOE owned the house or something, and in that case I'd have to discuss it with them. But if it's a situation where they don't need to be included, I might try to set things up without their involvement.

That's true. I'll see... I was thinking that perhaps the BOE owned the house or something, and in that case I'd have to discuss it with them. But if it's a situation where they don't need to be included, I might try to set things up without their involvement.
    Good call. They may be your landlord too, in which case, forget what I said before.
    霆雁コォ縲B1F

I just heard back from BBapply, and he said that he couldn't find any Hikari, ADSL or cable internet services in my area - only dial-up. So, maybe Flets isn't available, after all? I'll have to check for myself once I get to Japan.

However, I heard from my pred that one of her friends just up the road from her has NEC. My kanji reading abilities are absolutely terrible, though, so I'm having difficulty finding the info I need on their website. I'd like to find out what kind of internet service it is, and whether I need either a land line or cable to use it. Would one of you guys mind taking a quick look at the site, and seeing if it says anything about those things? I apologize for asking for so much help - my pred has been too busy to reply to e-mails, and my RA is off teaching a summer camp in Tohoku. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Of course, I forgot the website link.

http://jpn.nec.com/kotohajime/
    Last edited by Saga; July 19th, 2015 at 04:37.