Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School clubs

Default Re: School clubs

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    How common are rec leagues for various sports?
    Believe it or not, here is a rec hockey league in my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Believe it or not, here is a rec hockey league in my area.
    My friend had one of those in Kobe as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I would kill to play in a rec hockey league in Japan.
    車庫 B1F

My pred did and he loved it. My town is much smaller than Kobe though. I assume that the local team is part of the same league that Hiroshima has (if they have one). It's the big population centre near us.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

There's a rec league baseball and American football at a sports park about 30 minutes away. Found it by accident when biking past. They go full out - NFL style first down chains and everything. One team helps the refs with chains/ball running etc while the other two teams play. There used to be rugby there, too - but they don't seem to meet on Saturday mornings anymore.

That's good to hear, looks like there a few sports parks and gyms where I am going, so hopefully I can find something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Any school would love you to join the arts clubs (not many have science clubs afaik), you may end up running the whole thing!
    Oh cool, with no Japanese language skills I'm sure that'll work out excellently XD

It would be super cool if there was rec hockey near me. I had more or less given up on the idea of finding a team for any of the sports I play.

Anyone know if Ultimate frisbee is a thing in Japan? I know the national team is legit (a team I play with played against them at worlds) but how is it on a rec level?

Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    It would be super cool if there was rec hockey near me. I had more or less given up on the idea of finding a team for any of the sports I play.

Anyone know if Ultimate frisbee is a thing in Japan? I know the national team is legit (a team I play with played against them at worlds) but how is it on a rec level?
    A lot of prefectures have JET leagues for things like rugby and soccer. If there isn't an ultimate team you could always start one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I doubt you'll have much luck, schools here tend to play real sports.
    We've moved on to discussing community rec leagues for the new ALTs to join.

They should change the name to "Lame Frisbee", that way when you want to abbreviate it by dropping the "Frisbee" you'll still be making an accurate description of your chosen activity.

It's pretty fun at a beach party though.

But look at the sick air, yo. Admittedly the first two in this video are pretty meh.

Seriously though. Ultimate at a competitive level is probably one of the most demanding sports in terms of cardio. There aren't any large breaks like in American football or basketball and in a single point, play can move across the whole field several times.

I like Frisbee. I don't generally like any sport with the word "ultimate" in the title, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I like Frisbee. I don't generally like any sport with the word "ultimate" in the title, though.
    Well the name of the sport is "Ultimate", not "Ultimate Frisbee".

People just call it the latter so more people understand what it is.

That being said, both names are stupid.

I just want to start a local Quidditch team.

That video is bad to the bone. I want to play.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I just want to start a local Quidditch team.
    Come to Niigata, love.
    *****So it's about as local as getting together once or twice a year to play Quidditch is local, but it's something.
    Last edited by sourdoughsushi; June 3rd, 2015 at 21:29.

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    That video is bad to the bone. I want to play.
    I like this guy.