Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discrepancy between Self-Assessment Medical Form and CoH

Default Discrepancy between Self-Assessment Medical Form and CoH

Last edited by RainbowSheep; June 26th, 2015 at 19:06.

Default Re: Discrepancy between Self-Assessment Medical Form and CoH

Oh man, I feel so bad for you and hope this can work out. I think, potentially since they asked from a letter from your GP rather than outright disqualifying you that they are extending some grace to you.

As for myself, my doctor wrote that I faint easily with blood work and I started getting nervous that it would be seen as a discrepancy- but I don't think something like that is even in the same ballpark since it's a normal phenomenon not related to a health issue.

Again, hope you will be able to resolve this :-(

How messed up. I'd assume that's really up to chance to see how bureaucratic they are at the Tokyo office when they get that letter form your doctor. Even if you are disqualified, that messes with your application next year too right? Can your doctor speak with your JET Coordinator at the local embassy about it? If you got disqualified, and I was your doctor, I wouldn't take it personally if you never wanted to see me again.

Edit: best of luck dude.
    Last edited by Ace; June 10th, 2015 at 05:47.

Have you heard from your CO yet? I'd say if you have, that may be a good sign. Like maybe they just want to clear the record rather than eliminate you.

I've already heard from my CO, been put in touch with my predecessor and told what school I'll be based at so I'm sorta crossing my fingers that it'll be more effort than it's worth to disqualify me at this stage over a bureaucratic issue.

Your doctor told JET about an old note that indicated that you might have OCD? What a dick. I think you'll be fine though. Contact the JET desk at your consulate and explain the situation.
    Last edited by johnny; June 10th, 2015 at 07:25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Yeah tbh that's kinda bull that your doctor even put that on there in the first place? Like it's not even an official diagnosis, and it's from 5 years ago.. and uh I'm assuming GP stands for general physician, right? Also pretty sure he can't even give you an official diagnosis for that, you'd need to go to like a psychologist and/or psychiatrist because that's what they're trained in...

ugh I'm seriously getting pissed reading about this. I really hope it works out for you. I'd think it will, cuz you're right it'd probably be more of a pain in the ass to disqualify for you at this point. And FOR A PASSING COMMENT FROM ALMOST 6 YEARS AGO.

Default Discrepancy between Self-Assessment Medical Form and CoH

GP stands for general practitioner.

Good post all around though and I strongly agree with you that, if this was a serious diagnosis, he should have referred the OP to a psychiatrist for a follow up.

This is bullshit.

Also, how does the form read. I thought you only had to declare medical issues for which you had received treatment in the past 5 years.

Could anyone tell me what you have to disclose?
    Last edited by johnny; June 10th, 2015 at 09:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I had a similar experience because of my red-green colour blindness. They asked me such nice, and completely baffling, questions such as "can you drive in your home country." We weren't even asked on our form (the Canadian form) to note colour-blindness. I was supposed to intuit I had a disability that no one had ever told me was a disability before. I'm mentioning that because they asked me to provide a "statement of clarification." They ended up clearing me in the end and being really understanding about the misunderstanding. I would say that it might not hurt to provide a statement with your doctor's letter, if not just to preempt what they may ask you to do anyway.

I was asked to 1) Note the severity; and, 2) Explain why I didn't disclose it in the first place.

I still can't believe your doctor did that, though. Seriously, best of luck. I'll be hoping that they aren't jerks about it. They might not have understood that you have NOT been diagnosed as having OCD. They might think that you do have it, but that you're just not on medication for it.

You have a small advantage, as I see it, in that it is very late in the game for them to eliminate you from the program for a condition you don't have.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanormousPanda View Post

You have a small advantage, as I see it, in that it is very late in the game for them to eliminate you from the program for a condition you don't have.
    It is never too late for CLAIR/Tokyo to disqualify someone. There are many times when people have been DQ'd right before departure because of medical/criminal/other reasons.

I agree that this situation is unfortunate, but the main issue is that Tokyo has no way of knowing what is a genuine mistake, and what is someone trying to purposely hide something. Many people lie about medical conditions when they apply for JET. Some get discovered, some don't. This has caused a high level in scrutiny when it comes to checking records for applicants and participants.

The best thing you can do is just explain your situation and hope for the best.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Last edited by RainbowSheep; June 26th, 2015 at 19:07.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSheep View Post

I know you can't possible know how Tokyo are going to react to all of this, but do you think if I send a letter explaining everything along with a letter from my GP saying that the OCD was in fact an over diagnosis and I've never required treatment, then they might be okay with it?
    Are they going to have a bigger issue because they'll think I was being deceitful or because of the reason they ask for medical history in the first place, the worry that one's medical health might worsen while in Japan?

Or is it a case of they don't care what I have to say, there's a discrepancy so immediate disqualification?
    I do not believe that it is immediate disqualification no questions asked, because if that was the case, they would have just sent you an e-mail saying "We found discrepencies, you are not removed from the program." The way it usually works is that Tokyo contacts the Consulate in charge of the applicants and asks for an explanation. We then have to contact the person in question, and get the answer. We forward that answer to Tokyo, and it is then up to them to make a decision. At this point, all you can do is have your physician send a letter explaining what happened, and why there is a discrepency on the form. Japan takes medical issues very seriously. I honestly do not know how Tokyo is going to react to an overdiagnosis. In their eyes, you either have something, or you don't. I would make sure that the letter is clearly written and easy to understand, especially since it will be sent to Japan and you do not know who will be looking at it. If there is a lot of medical jargon on there, then it might confuse them even more.

Ultimately the decision will be in Tokyo's hands. For all we know, it is your BoE that is nervous about your possible OCD, and they are demanding answers from Tokyo. Maybe they had a JET with OCD that was a very bad fit for them, and they do not want to go through that again. Who knows. Best thing you can do is just plead your case as clearly as possible and hope for the best.

Best of luck
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Basically, the more information you can provide on the topic, the better. Best thing would be to have your GP write a letter explaining that it was an over diagnosis, that you don't have OCD, that it won't require medical attention, that you didn't know about about the diagnosis, and that you're fit for Japan. Have him sign it and if possible write it on whatever professional letterhead they have. I think Tokyo would accept that.

Yeah, I think I'm going to be disqualified. It took the doctor 4 days to write a letter that didn't really have the information I required, even though I'd told him specifically what I needed in the letter, and he wasn't there today so I couldn't speak to him about it either. Deadline for the letter is Monday so I had no choice to send it.
    Thanks for all your help anyway.

Track his ass down. Seriously. You need to go get this done. It's not your fault and you shouldn't get screwed. Tell his secretary that you're going to consult with a lawyer to talk about the possibility of suing for compensatory damages for lost wages. Tell your coordinator that you can't get to the doctor. Have a detailed phone conversation with the consulate if you haven't already. Don't give up on this thing.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; June 13th, 2015 at 01:15.
    車庫 B1F

Yes, seriously. ^^^ Do not give up yet. CALL your coordinator, so that you can explain to them the situation in detail - that it's not an official diagnosis, that he doesn't even have the proper training to diagnose you, and that it's NOT something you're being treated for.

Call the doctor's office, or hell, march into the doctor's office, and be firm with them. Tell them that the doctor is at fault, and honestly yeah, life bif said, threatening to sue isn't a bad idea, especially since he wrote down an incorrect diagnosis that may cost you a job - honestly that's technically malpractice and he could get his license taken away for it. In his field, he does not have the training to confirm that diagnosis. Throw that word around, see what they do then. This isn't your fault, don't feel bad if you have to get firm.

Good point. If that's exactly how it went down, you could literally have a compelling case to sue for damages. If I were you, I would be there talking to them about that right now.
    車庫 B1F

I am just sick for you over this. I can't believe that doctor! Best of luck to you Rainbow. Don't give up!

How did you get on?

Whatever happened to Rainbow Sheep, I wonder... :-/