Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Life in Japan - A Video

  1. #1

    Default Life in Japan - A Video

    I saw saw this documentary posted to reddit a couple days ago and finally got around to watching it. Anyone else seen it? Anyone have thoughts on it?




    I liked hearing all the different perspectives. It does make me a bit wary of Japanese police though.

  2. #2
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    I like it too. There was one guy who bothered me a lot, but I thought it was enjoyable. Great variety of people.
    車庫 B1F

  3. #3

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    I think I would have liked for them to have more people from the inaka though. It seems most were from Kyoto city or Fukuoka city.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    It does make me a bit wary of Japanese police though.
    Good. Don't get involved with the legal system here if you can possibly help it.

  5. #5
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Ya,

    True story,

    So last night my friend and I were walking to an izakaya for a couple of beers after work. As we cross the main road we see a man lying on the ground (There was a planter between him and the road so we didn't seem him from far away), drunk as all get out, with his dog barking around him. Looked like he was taking his dog for a walk and either fell down drunk or actually hurt himself. Couldn't tell though as his speech was super slurred.

    Honestly, my friend and I didn't even know what to do at that point. Thankfully the bar we were going to was like 2 doors away, so I went in and asked the owner for help, and he called an ambulance, but I honestly was like "I don't know who I should call, and I don't want to talk to the police about this...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Good. Don't get involved with the legal system here if you can possibly help it.
    I'd rather not get involved with the legal system anywhere.

  7. #7
    Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Good. Don't get involved with the legal system here if you can possibly help it.
    Yep. That reddit AMA a few years ago just highlighted how brutal it can be if you're on the the receiving end.

  8. #8
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by BambooTelegraph View Post
    Yep. That reddit AMA a few years ago just highlighted how brutal it can be if you're on the the receiving end.
    You've just reminded me how shitty Reddit is. With its popularity I keep thinking it's actually decent place for discussion.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by BambooTelegraph View Post
    Yep. That reddit AMA a few years ago just highlighted how brutal it can be if you're on the the receiving end.
    Wow. That's ridiculous. He was detained for 23 days because a package was addressed to him that tested positive for "traces of marijuana"?

  10. #10
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    Wow. That's ridiculous. He was detained for 23 days because a package was addressed to him that tested positive for "traces of marijuana"?
    From what I read, it seems like his friend sent him some "edibles" as a joke.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    From what I read, it seems like his friend sent him some "edibles" as a joke.
    I suppose that's a bit less silly, but still. If it's from his friends then it doesn't likely have an order slip or anything to indicate he bought or requested the item. He literally did nothing wrong. His friends are the ones to blame here imo.

    Should have just destroyed the package and been done with it. Maybe noted it down somewhere.
    Last edited by texxaport; June 10th, 2015 at 14:05.

  12. #12
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    I suppose that's a bit less silly, but still. If it's from his friends then it doesn't likely have an order slip or anything to indicate he bought or requested the item. He literally did nothing wrong. His friends are the ones to blame here imo.

    Should have just destroyed the package and been done with it. Maybe noted it down somewhere.
    They thought he was a distributor apparently. This is why I'm complaining about Reddit because the original posts detailing all of this are completely obfuscated.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    What do you think the percentage chance is of Japan Post / police or whatever finding illegal drugs posted to you are?
    (small quantity, well wrapped, look like something someone would 'normally' import - not like those Nelson Mandela statues / Bibles filled with crack you see on TV)

    0.1%, 1%, 10%, 50%?

    I'm not planning on doing it btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The only time I took ALTs to my favourite sushi place they bitched about the price and two girls showed up uninvited and complained that they didn't like fish.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    What do you think the percentage chance is of Japan Post / police or whatever finding illegal drugs posted to you are?
    (small quantity, well wrapped, look like something someone would 'normally' import - not like those Nelson Mandela statues / Bibles filled with crack you see on TV)

    0.1%, 1%, 10%, 50%?

    I'm not planning on doing it btw.
    Wouldn't know, and wouldn't even begin entertaining the idea. Whatever the percentage is, it's inviting disaster.

  15. #15
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    I spent some time a couple days ago watching SYOKUMU SITUMON videos on youtube. Guys declining police requests to show ID and such. It was really boring, but a couple of the guys were really good. A few of the situations devolved to the point at which American cops take you out of the car and cuff you face-down, but the J cops just kept pleading their cases. It was annoying. I was like, "OMG just shoot him already."
    車庫 B1F

  16. #16

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    TBH I wouldn't believe "my friends sent it to me as a prank" either, but obviously that doesn't mean you can throw a man in jail and yell at him for 23 days to sign a confession either.

  17. #17
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    TBH I wouldn't believe "my friends sent it to me as a prank" either, but obviously that doesn't mean you can throw a man in jail and yell at him for 23 days to sign a confession either.
    word

    But yeh regardless of the low opinion I have for my own nation's law enforcement and legal system there is no way in f*ck I'd ever wanna be caught up in the Japanese legal system.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    I get that I'm allowed to ask for badge number or something when they ask my id... but I'm kind of inclined to not just because it might invite more trouble. I'd probably just give my card and be done with it.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    I get that I'm allowed to ask for badge number or something when they ask my id... but I'm kind of inclined to not just because it might invite more trouble. I'd probably just give my card and be done with it.
    Same, plus I don't understand why you would refuse. In Europe, you always have to show your passport when asked and in the US, the same if you're not a citizen.

  20. #20
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Life in Japan - A Video

    Yeah, I'm really stubborn. At a hotel, I might insist that they take my driver's license, just because it feels a little like an invasion of privacy and an overstep for a hotel clerk to want to check my immigration status. But who wants to pick a fight with the cops, especially when you're an illegal like all of us?
    車庫 B1F

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •