Thread: Elementary school resources for a newbie.

Default Elementary school resources for a newbie.

Hi,

I was told that I'm teaching elementary only so I'm looking for books / writeups on:

- Elementary EFL teaching approaches
    - Teaching english in Japan (if possible elementary)
    - The elementary school workplace and what to keep an eye out for.

I haven't done a TESOL so I'm coming in blind.

I've done quite a bit of research on my own and my pred has helped but I'm really keen to learn more before I arrive.

Thanks.

Default Re: Elementary school resources for a newbie.

I'd love to help, but I'm not based in an elementary school so I can't really comment on what that's like.

Can you clarify a few things about you/your position? Do you speak Japanese fluently? Will you teach all grades or just 5 & 6? Will you work at just one school or rotate among several schools? Does your pred use a curriculum/textbook or are they expected to make things from scratch? Do they usually work with home room teachers or do they mostly lead the class while the HRT hangs out and watches?

I've created some materials for grades 5&6 and I'm in the process of making a general teaching guide (both are posted in this sub) but it would help to know more about your situation.

That said, I would relax. Generally the bar for ALTs is set pretty low and you'll be arriving in summer when there aren't any classes, so you'll have some time to get a feel for your school before you jump in. In any case, good luck!

Hi Ebi,

I spent about 3 years in Japan studying so I'm fluent and can communicate fine. According to my pred he uses the Monbukagakusho's textbook, Hi, friends.

He mentioned that he rotates around a few schools, I forgot the number but on a weekly basis. 3-4 I think. He said he also does the lower grades at 2 of them. I'll ask him about the rest.

I'm more so looking for theory behind successful efl programs that I can read while I'm at home. Some useful textbooks for EFL at younger ages would be useful too. I have a bit of spare time so I figure it wouldn't hurt to read up and once I read the textbook understand why they do the activities they do.

Any book reccomendations?

Here are the Hi(gh) Friends lesson plans.
    Hi, friends! - Akita Wiki!

With all the other stuff I would wait till you get to your placement. Copy what your pred. did and change as you see fit.

I'm currently working on elementary school lessons between HRTs and ALTs. Include printable PDF picture flashcards and I hope to put in the Japanese version of the lessons, so you can give a copy to your HRTs. Supposed to be team-teaching! On top of that, those lessons may say print out the worksheets provided in the...but you may find them to difficult to find or your school has no idea where those are. I hope to get those for you soon. There are more lessons other than just elementary schools. I think some of ALTs have a base school somewhere else and need those lessons, too. There even after school activity lessons and doing a cultural exchange project!

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by alee50 View Post
    I'm currently working on elementary school lessons between HRTs and ALTs. Include printable PDF picture flashcards and I hope to put in the Japanese version of the lessons, so you can give a copy to your HRTs. Supposed to be team-teaching! On top of that, those lessons may say print out the worksheets provided in the...but you may find them to difficult to find or your school has no idea where those are. I hope to get those for you soon. There are more lessons other than just elementary schools. I think some of ALTs have a base school somewhere else and need those lessons, too. There even after school activity lessons and doing a cultural exchange project!
    Sure, sounds good. If you post the Japanese up here I'll translate it into English for you.

Thanks. I already have those lessons for the elementary HRTs. Just to have to upload them into my website. There are other things I'm working on, but takes time. FYI, the elementary lessons in English are already up and running!

Sorry, it's been a while since I log in here. Other than the Akita Wiki, there's another set! Has other resources all in one. Just google Eigo Ganbare.

do you have permission from 文部科学省 to post their worksheets? Copyright law is a bitch.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.