Thread: UK JETs paying Income Tax

Default UK JETs paying Income Tax

I just did a search for "tax" before making this thread and got no results, so either the search feature is fucked or I'm the first to ask about it?

Anyway, I've tried phoning HMRC but some automated woman keeps fobbing me off with some crap about being too busy.

UK JETs: What is your experience with paying income tax in the UK on your Japanese earnings? Was it different after a year? Do you have to regularly apply for tax relief so you're not paying double tax? Are these stupid questions? If you do pay UK income tax, how is that paid? Do you fill in a self-assessment?

What's the deal? (I'll still speak to HMRC, etc, just wanted some to hear some first hand experience)
    Last edited by Frap; June 11th, 2015 at 14:49.

Default Re: UK JETs paying Income Tax

You don't pay UK tax on your Japanese earnings.

You pay Japanese tax on your JET earnings. Nothing to do with HMRC. There is no reciprocal agreement or anything like that.

Did you fill in any kind of form to say you'd be moving/earning abroad?

It seems like paying UK tax and the country-you're-working-in's tax is not uncommon: Tax on foreign income - GOV.UK ? But also includes a "way to claim relief" - Tax on foreign income - GOV.UK

Frap - look on number 2 there. It should tell you all the information you need to know about what UK taxes you need to pay after moving abroad.