Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peoples preferred prefectures?

Default Peoples preferred prefectures?

How did you choose your preference?
    I'm more than happy to go rural but I just don't know where.
    I'm aware it's not a sure thing but I'm interested in where people chose and then ended up?

I've also heard about a guy going somewhere in Shimane (will have to check YouTube) and getting a little blue house with a garden and paying next to nothing. I realise that's a bit of a push but if I could get landed something like that I would be so happy.

Cheers.

Default Re: Peoples preferred prefectures?

Well one thing that dictated how I did my preferences was this document. A lot of people waste their requests by putting in places that there aren't any ALT positions.

Other than that, I selected places that were close to my friends who study in South Korea, were on the water (I'm a biologist with a specialization in marine systems), had decent connections (rail and air) and had a decent number of ALT positions there.

I have yet to receive my final placement city/town but I know I'm in Hyogo-ken which is the same prefecture as my third choice (Kobe City). I could actually be in Kobe after all anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    Well one thing that dictated how I did my preferences was this document. A lot of people waste their requests by putting in places that there aren't any ALT positions.

Other than that, I selected places that were close to my friends who study in South Korea, were on the water (I'm a biologist with a specialization in marine systems), had decent connections (rail and air) and had a decent number of ALT positions there.

I have yet to receive my final placement city/town but I know I'm in Hyogo-ken which is the same prefecture as my third choice (Kobe City). I could actually be in Kobe after all anyway.
    According to that I have a good chance with what will be my number 1 choice of Kagoshima.

Although of course the BOE may not like me lol.

In fact JET may not like me.
    Last edited by haitch40; June 12th, 2015 at 07:27.

Yeah, I thought my chances for Sendai were good too. Then I learned that they wanted quite a decent level of Japanese for all their ALTs. Not surprised I didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    Yeah, I thought my chances for Sendai were good too. Then I learned that they wanted quite a decent level of Japanese for all their ALTs. Not surprised I didn't get it.
    True. It is all down to them.
    Last edited by haitch40; June 12th, 2015 at 07:43.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I'm up for going anywhere where I'll have stuff to do. I'm more open to Tokyo just cause I won't need a car and it's an amazing place for design.

But I'm aware it's a long shot and a costly one at that. So yeah, as long as I can get to do stuff instead of being stuck at home, I'll be fine.

Though I won't deny I'd be happier with people closer to my age. I'm a little tired of living with people in their golden years.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; October 2nd, 2015 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I'm up for going anywhere were I'll have stuff to do. I'm more open to Tokyo just cause I won't need a car and it's an amazing place for design.

But I'm aware it's a long shot and a costly one at that. So yeah, as long as I can get to do stuff instead of being stuck at home, I'll be fine.

Though I won't deny I'd be happier with people closer to my age. I'm a little tired of living with people in their golden years.
    Read the sheet. Anything without a village placement is a good shot at having everything you want. Or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    Read the sheet. Anything without a village placement is a good shot at having everything you want. Or am I wrong?
    *shrugs *

I can't say for certain, the whole ESID and whatnot.

Though it would be kind of cool meeting at least one of the forum folk.

My money's still on killing you at TO.

Quote Originally Posted by starxrox View Post
    How did you choose your preference?
    I'm more than happy to go rural but I just don't know where.
    I'm aware it's not a sure thing but I'm interested in where people chose and then ended up?

I've also heard about a guy going somewhere in Shimane (will have to check YouTube) and getting a little blue house with a garden and paying next to nothing. I realise that's a bit of a push but if I could get landed something like that I would be so happy.

Cheers.
    I put up a map of Japan on my wall and threw three darts at it.
    Last edited by Virgil; June 12th, 2015 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    *shrugs *

I can't say for certain, the whole ESID and whatnot.

Though it would be kind of cool meeting at least one of the forum folk.

My money's still on killing you at TO.
    Killing me?

Although if we both get in this year it would be great to meet you at TO.

I wanted anywhere in Shikoku/Kyushu because of my host family, nice weather (I was so unbelievably sick of Minnesota winters), cheaper cost of living, and a greater chance to live in a smaller community where I could really get to know my students and participate actively in my village/town/whatever. So, I requested semi-urban or rural in two places in Shikoku and one in Kyushu (Ehime-ken, Tokushima-ken, and Nagasaki).

Got into my first choice of Ehime, and I'm super pleased. Here's hoping I'm just as happy about my placement once I actually get there.

If I get in and get Kagoshima I am going to have my mother going nuts that it is near a volcano.

Hahaha. My mom is freaked out because she thinks I'm going to get hit by a tsunami. Never mind that I'm in the mountains an hour away from the ocean, and Ehime faces the Inland Sea...

I actually have a friend who got placed in Kagoshima (she's a prefectural ALT though, so she doesn't know what city yet) and I'm almost jealous - Kagoshima looks absolutely beautiful and apparently has great onsen. I've always wanted to go to Kyushu, so I figure I'm going to use her placement as an excuse to do some traveling around Nagasaki and Kagoshima at some point.

I actually wanted Saitama so that I could continue to study my martial art, but coming to Japan was more important so I jumped when the upgrade came.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    Killing me?

Although if we both get in this year it would be great to meet you at TO.

I didn't think about the likelihood of getting my placement requests at all, so mine were based on some simple parameters.

I picked, in order, Kanazawa City, Ishikawa, Nagoya and Tokyo because of cool art museums that I thought would be cool to be close by. This was way before I knew that Nagoya didn't take any ALT's. Obviously, I am not as resourceful as tex.

In the end, I got Nanao, Ishikawa, which is 2.5 hr away by car. I count myself lucky. I think they tried.
    Last edited by x_stei; June 12th, 2015 at 14:05.
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

Damn I wanted to apply for Kanazawa city too.... Guess it's not too far

I don't think there are too many ALTs leaving Kanazawa city this year. A lot of people are leaving the Noto peninsula though.

I chose two prefectures that I had been to already and wanted to explore more (a two week vacation to Japan is not enough). I also picked a prefecture way up north just for something different and requested rural... I didn't get any of my requested prefectures but I did get a rural placement. And it's in the middle of what I asked for so I'm pretty happy.

After a brief trip to Kyushu during study abroad, I knew I wanted to be placed somewhere there. The food and people there were just absolutely lovely and it left a big impression on me. I also wanted to be placed where they had a decent naginata community so after talking to my sensei and senpai, I chose my placements as Kumamoto-ken, Fukuoka-ken and the Kinki region (because I really loved living in the Kansai area). I also requested a suburban placement and wanted to teach ES. I got placed in Miyazaki-ken in a city of around 57,000 folks. It was farther down south in Kyushu than I was imagining but I'm excited so far. Also, it seems like all the newbies that are going to Miyazaki-ken have at least intermediate J-go skills, which I found interesting (guess that's what the prefecture wanted from their ALTs). And for my friend who is heading to Nasebo-shi in Nagasaki, all of her cohorts (including herself) have an education/teaching degree. For future applicants, is there a way to know what prefectures prefer in an applicant? Or is it really a crapshoot?
    Last edited by naginataonthebrain; June 13th, 2015 at 02:05.