Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your iPad in Japan?

Default Do you use your iPad in Japan?

I know this seems like a really silly question, but I was looking into getting an iPad to use in Japan and I'm not sure which I should get. Do ya'll use your iPads there or just carry your computers around? I know some schools provide you with a computer at the school, so you may not have a need to carry your own, but I feel like if I went on a trip or out of town, I'd like something a little easier to carry around and doesn't have much personal info on it. What do you guys think? If you DID bring your iPad to Japan with you, how often do you use it and what kind do you have? Thanks guys!

Default Re: Do you use your iPad in Japan?

One of the teachers at my school has one of the Microsoft Surface tablets. It looks really nice and versatile. I'm not a big iPad fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Haleydru0519 View Post
    I know this seems like a really silly question, but I was looking into getting an iPad to use in Japan and I'm not sure which I should get. Do ya'll use your iPads there or just carry your computers around? I know some schools provide you with a computer at the school, so you may not have a need to carry your own, but I feel like if I went on a trip or out of town, I'd like something a little easier to carry around and doesn't have much personal info on it. What do you guys think? If you DID bring your iPad to Japan with you, how often do you use it and what kind do you have? Thanks guys!
    My school forbids outside technology. They've let my iPad slide, but they did tell me when I started that they are forbidden.

Any of the more recent models are fine. If you want easy data access, wait until you come and buy one from one of the cell providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Likewise, my BoE has explicitly stated that iPads are not allowed to be used at school. But it's up to our schools whether or not they actually enforce it. My school provides a work laptop with (filtered) internet access so I don't really need a tablet computer. Also, my schools vehemently forbid the use of smart phones in class, although my staff has let it slide if I'm just using it as a timer or to play music.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Chiming in from the pro iPad side.

I bought the biggest, baddest, most expensive cellular iPad a year after I came (I really wanted a retina). I've been using it in and out of class since I bought it. By dumb luck like 4 months later, my school was given a full set of 50 iPads to use in the school (as a single class + teacher units).

We're totally for using them in class. The caligaraphy teacher users it as an overhead projector and image display system (might sound like a waste, but it's REALLY good for that type of stuff, and she uses it CONSTANTLY). We're using them in class for everything from basic web access to power points (connected to LCD tvs) to games/google earth/etc....

Now if only I had some money to my name (which I don't), and there was a brand new iPad out right now (which there isn't) I would go buy a new iPad (which I can't) because mine is REALLY heavy (the heaviest one they ever made) compared to the Air 2 (which I would have babies with).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Chiming in from the pro iPad side.

I bought the biggest, baddest, most expensive cellular iPad a year after I came (I really wanted a retina). I've been using it in and out of class since I bought it. By dumb luck like 4 months later, my school was given a full set of 50 iPads to use in the school (as a single class + teacher units).

We're totally for using them in class. The caligaraphy teacher users it as an overhead projector and image display system (might sound like a waste, but it's REALLY good for that type of stuff, and she uses it CONSTANTLY). We're using them in class for everything from basic web access to power points (connected to LCD tvs) to games/google earth/etc....

Now if only I had some money to my name (which I don't), and there was a brand new iPad out right now (which there isn't) I would go buy a new iPad (which I can't) because mine is REALLY heavy (the heaviest one they ever made) compared to the Air 2 (which I would have babies with).
    Sounds like your school is awesomely ahead of the game as far as tech is concerned. Seems like most are woefully behind/afraid of technology. My school doesn't seem to give two shits.

Do you think you were placed there because of your background?
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Sounds like your school is awesomely ahead of the game as far as tech is concerned. Seems like most are woefully behind/afraid of technology. My school doesn't seem to give two shits.

Do you think you were placed there because of your background?
    Absolutely not.

My school is technology adverse. Sure we have the iPads, but if I hadn't pushed their implementation (along with a coworker) we wouldn't be using them in the class (or pretty much at all). All this tech stuff happened a year after I got here, and I'm sure if that was the case the other iPad pilot schools would've also got one of the IT capable guys in the prefecture rather than who they received.

I also know that if I wasn't pushing things always a step further, another step further, with all the teachers and students, it would revert the instant I stopped pushing. Basically the more I push, the more integrated it becomes, and the less likely that regression is going to go all the way to 0 where it started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Absolutely not.

My school is technology adverse. Sure we have the iPads, but if I hadn't pushed their implementation (along with a coworker) we wouldn't be using them in the class (or pretty much at all). All this tech stuff happened a year after I got here, and I'm sure if that was the case the other iPad pilot schools would've also got one of the IT capable guys in the prefecture rather than who they received.

I also know that if I wasn't pushing things always a step further, another step further, with all the teachers and students, it would revert the instant I stopped pushing. Basically the more I push, the more integrated it becomes, and the less likely that regression is going to go all the way to 0 where it started.
    All of this.

We have projectors and the like, everything that is needed to do truly interactive stuff. -But the equipment is essentially used to save the teachers the effort of writing on the blackboard. It might as well be overhead projectors and transparencies. (Which, strangely enough, were leapfrogged over here. My school has none.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

That's depressing. I always wanted to do lessons using cell phones/internet resources. Even in the US that was politically infeasible.

Going to the computer lab is so ridiculously antiquated, and the majority of educators see that as "utilizing technology." They pay for these ridiculous education packages to websites when there are plenty of free options that are actually better...

Ok that turned into a different rant, but it illustrates my frustration with "tech in the classroom"
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

99% you will not be able to have students use their own devices (smartphones) in school. Most schools will prohibit students from using them during school hours (aka 7 am to 7 pm, and even after that if they've got tests coming up, but that relies on parental support.) Not all students have smartphones/devices, as well as concerns over net-bullying (save the children etc.) If you're in a school that does all students to use smartphones etc, let me know the upcoming lottery numbers.

Some schools are very 'privacy' oriented (no photos of students allowed, other than on school cameras or by school photographers.) Similarly, some schools are very much concerned with network security. Which means no internet access in the classroom or a very limited few devices provided by the school. If your school has this policy, they'll probably let you know if you ever bring in your own device. (In which case you might find yourself in trouble.) But I only know of a few of that kind of schools in my region.

In my case, I carry my smartphone with me to class, which is allowed as a teacher. I rarely use it, but sometimes use the dictionary or wikipedia to double check something. In fact, at least one teacher likes to use his iPhone and the lightning>displayport cable to show stuff on the classroom TV. Most of the other teachers are closer to luddites in terms of their technology knowledge and use. Some are old and set in their ways, some hate using computers, etc. A previous teacher used an iPad quite a bit in his classes. Another uses a tablet heavily in his workflow, although I don't think he uses it in class. My schools are fairly loose when it comes to BYO(Device.) They won't let it on the network, but you can bring it and use it in the school or in your classes. I have a school provided laptop at both of my schools which is adequate for all my uses, so I don't need to bring in any other devices, but I do know that it is allowed in my case.

Going to the computer lab is so ridiculously antiquated, and the majority of educators see that as "utilizing technology." They pay for these ridiculous education packages to websites when there are plenty of free options that are actually better...
    I'd kill just to be able to use the computer lab, tbh.

I cart my laptop to class with me for my culture class (because it's where all the presentations and videos are), but that almost ends up being more trouble than it's worth because the only piece of "technology" in that room is an old CRT TV. My school doesn't have wifi/internet access for non-school devices either, so anything I forget to DL at home I have to tether for.

I've had some luck having students do research on the computers in the library, but they're ridiculously slow and only half of them work at any given time. I thought about having students make a powerpoint for a class project once, but that idea got laughed at pretty quickly.

As for the original question, I bought my iPad (a first generation mini) in Japan, but you shouldn't have any trouble bringing one from America. I've found it really useful when travelling (since from my town it's at least a three hour trip anywhere) and killing time in cafes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    I've had some luck having students do research on the computers in the library, but they're ridiculously slow and only half of them work at any given time. I thought about having students make a powerpoint for a class project once, but that idea got laughed at pretty quickly.
    That pretty much sums up my experience with trying to implement tech in two different countries.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    If you want easy data access, wait until you come and buy one from one of the cell providers.
    word

MG did this and it worked out really well for her. She uses hers at school quite often (I occasionally use it, too).

My school is technology adverse.
    True for 99.9999% of Japanese schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    True for 99.9999% of Japanese schools.
    I feel like my prefecture is trying the change that. The rule is that each classroom is supposed to have access to a smart board. Each elementary school room has its own, and in the middle schools they share a few on each floor. I have teachers who bring their cell phones to class and use them to show kids things online. Hell, I bring my cell phone from time to time for its dictionary. I also lug my computer to school every day, and am always ready to have like a power point or game on my computer for them to play. I get a couple looks from time to time, but never has anyone said that I'm breaking any rules or anything. I think they just think its cool that I can log onto facebook really fast and show them pictures of my house and family and pets and stuff.

I guess it kinda varies by school; my home school isn't what I'd describe as tech-friendly but they don't outright fight it, either. My visit school seems to abhor anything more advanced than a chalkboard, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

My school will allow me to use any of my own devices I want in class so long as it doesn't cost them any money and they don't have to do anything. As such, I use my iPad a decent amount during classes. All floors at my schools have HDTV's that you can wheel into classrooms and I use them for my presentations.

Here's something you should consider though. While Japan finally seems to be changing its quaint attitude towards having tech in the classroom, don't count on any of your schools having any technology for you to use. So, you may well have an iPad, but you may not have TV's or projectors to which you can connect it.

Be prepared to adapt. You might have to rely a lot more on hand drawn cards for games and activities. If you're a JHS ALT, you'll definitely have a lot of time on your hands, so you'll definitely have a lot of time to draw stuff up.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

What about printers? Do you have printer access at school at all?

Yeah, but how much and what type of thing you can print will vary. I'm sure there's an ALT who could charge in here and be like, "NOooooooOOoOOOoooOo!!!!! I don't get to print at all," or "NoooOOOoOOOoOoOOoooO!!!! We don't have a printer in my staffroom," but chances are very good you'll be allowed to print. You might need authorization for every page you print, but you should be able to do it. Copy too. I used to make posters for some of my elementary schools, and I printed out loads of color pictures to cut and paste onto the posters. I did more color printing in my Japanese elementary schools than I had done in my entire life before.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; June 17th, 2015 at 01:54.
    車庫 B1F

Have a printer. In fact, I sit surrounded by printers - one white/color multipurpose (that badly needs a new fuzer,) one really nice inkjet (that only my computer and one other can print to, seeing as nobody knows how to find the drivers for it...,) and a massive multi-purpose unite that never seems to have anything wrong with it, but that only the VP and jimu seem to use. And then there's the high-speed bi-color (red-black) high speed machines in the 'print' room.

I've probably killed a few trees in the last couple years. I have a drawer full of poor prints/mistakes that keep for scrap paper use. Which ends up being quite a bit.

I have to give my files to another teacher for them to print for me since they won't let my computer on the network.

Sent from my 401SO using Tapatalk
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015