Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Cards

Default Business Cards

Do you have one?

Do you need one?

Do people give them to you?

Is it 'cringey' to have one made? A waste of time?

I don't know who I am anymore!

Default Re: Business Cards

Why would you want cards with "CircusMonkey" printed on them?

until you get a real job, no one will want your card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I've not seen an ALT with business cards. They kinda seem like a waste for us, tbh.

But I did get this awesome business card from a "famous" Japanese country singer. It's pretty sick looking. THAT's interesting.

But most of the time you'll get cards from people higher up on the BOE food chain, or randos that you meet when you visit other places.

Yes, my BoE wanted me to have some to exchange etc. I got the very basic simple ones with my name in English, katakana and some contact details/job description.

To be honest, I've exchanged business cards maybe 7-8 times over 2 years. For me, a complete waste of time. At least it didn't cost me any money.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I have business cards, but only because they work as teasers of my portfolio.

My card is set up so that the front has a design with my information and the back has an example of one of my works. Each card is different so customers/acquaintances are inspired to meet/do business with me again just so they'll collect them all.

It's good you're thinking of it, but no. Just no.

A Design student with a wacky business card. ​Quelle surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I have business cards, but only because they work as teasers of my portfolio.

My card is set up so that the front has a design with my information and the back has an example of one of my works. Each card is different so customers/acquaintances are inspired to meet/do business with me again just so they'll collect them all.
    *Pokemon theme music*

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    A Design student with a wacky business card. ​Quelle surprise.
    I wouldn't call it wacky, but thank you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    *Pokemon theme music*
    I actually shared the idea with an illustrator, (of using each of his illustrations for business cards) but he basically complained it'd be too much work.

Hell, with outright illustrations/characters, I'd probably make a simple card game to add even more reasons for wanting to collect them all.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; June 18th, 2015 at 09:17.

Not necessary in the least. However, I've used mine about 5 times in the last year, and I was glad to have them. Mostly just about trading a quick reference/contact info with visiting teachers/different BOE people - not what I would consider formal situations. More like convenience. And one time in Tokyo when a kabuki actor's wife wanted to trade with me, good times.

Just be sure that city hall gives you the same katakana on your gaijin card if you bring them to Japan. That sucked. I was lucky I didn't pay for either set.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Just be sure that city hall gives you the same katakana on your gaijin card if you bring them to Japan. That sucked. I was lucky I didn't pay for either set.
    You have katakana on your gaijin card? Mine is English only even though I have a Japanese last name. They refused to add any because it has to match my passport exactly. But my health insurance card is in Japanese only, which tends to be where people encounter katakana mistakes.

I don't have a business card, but I probably will eventually if I stay here long enough since most "real jobs" require one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    You have katakana on your gaijin card? Mine is English only even though I have a Japanese last name. They refused to add any because it has to match my passport exactly. But my health insurance card is in Japanese only, which tends to be where people encounter katakana mistakes.
    WHOOPS, you're absolutely right - I meant the hanko. I got my business cards with the katakana I was given in college, and city hall switched one character. This does remind me to check out those insurance forms to see how they handled my middle name, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why would you want cards with "CircusMonkey" printed on them?

until you get a real job, no one will want your card.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Excellent input, on the whole! Sincerely appreciated. I'll probably set up a basic 'point of contact' card in case someone hands me their own card and I can return the sentiment. I'll be sure to only add the essentials such as favourite colour and Joy Division song.

Yeah nothing wrong with that. Get a card. Why not? It's actually a good passive pickup technique, too.
    車庫 B1F

Hey babe, wanna do "business" with me?

Quote Originally Posted by enlight85 View Post
    Excellent input, on the whole! Sincerely appreciated. I'll probably set up a basic 'point of contact' card in case someone hands me their own card and I can return the sentiment. I'll be sure to only add the essentials such as favourite colour and Joy Division song.
    Totally off topic but I keep thinking your avatar is an award because of the size. It's messing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Hey babe, wanna do "business" with me?
    No, that attitude isn't appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dessar View Post
    No, that attitude isn't appreciated.
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Dessar is one of those girls who will shoot off a "sorry, I have a boyfriend," when the grocery bagger offers to bag her groceries.