Thread: Tokyo JETs

Default Tokyo JETs

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone else that's being placed in Tokyo just a little concerned about the fact that JET and the Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education is pawning us off to Interac? It's a little concerning. Apartments are being handled quite uniquely for our situation I think, however, I do like that we are getting to somewhat choose our living accommodation based on what we want to budget that's a nice little bit of freedom. I'm concerned about the 500,000 Yen price tag for a budget. I'm not going to have anywhere near that without dipping into my line of credit, which I didn't want to do. Does anyone have any experience living directly in Tokyo? Is a 500,000 yen price tag a maximum or would you consider that a suggest minimum.

Thanks!
    GenkiSpirit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Shelley
    What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

Default Re: Tokyo JETs

500,000 for what? Initial move-in costs? You can absolutely live in Tokyo for less than that. I used Suumo to get the apartment I'm moving into soon, but it's not in Tokyo.
    When I lived in Tokyo, I used a company called Fontana, or "Tokyo City Apartments". They're still around. I lived right near a huge station on the Yamanote line, and I paid 85,000 a month with an 85,000 initial deposit. That was all. It was an awful, tiny apartment, but it was furnished. I got almost the full deposit back. I was pleased.
    RENTING FROM FONTANA AGENCY vs other Japanese agencies
    What they say here is true. This was indeed the experience I had with them, and I lived in their apt for just about one year.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; June 23rd, 2015 at 06:51.
    車庫 B1F

Another thumbs up for Fontana here. Reasonable price (even compared to long term rentals) and start up costs are minimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The only time I took ALTs to my favourite sushi place they bitched about the price and two girls showed up uninvited and complained that they didn't like fish.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

What do you mean by pawning off onto interac?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I was also curious about this. Either way it sounds sketchy the way you phrased it.

I haven't heard about the interac thing, and a good friend of mine is getting jets at his school in tokyo this year. Op, please tell more.

Now I'm checking out Tokyo apartments and wondering if I could live in 200 square feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    This is the email I received:
    Interac Co., Ltd. has been entrusted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education to assist you in various ways during your initial period prior to and directly after arrival, and will be operating a Help Desk for you to contact.

Don't exactly know what it means, but it says that I'm being pawned off.
    Last edited by genkispirit; June 24th, 2015 at 00:51.
    What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them.
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    This is the email I received:
    Interac Co., Ltd. has been entrusted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education to assist you in various ways during your initial period prior to and directly after arrival, and will be operating a Help Desk for you to contact.

Don't exactly know what it means, but it says that I'm being pawned off.
    So does that mean they handle your housing and transportation or something?

Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    So does that mean they handle your housing and transportation or something?
    To be honest, I'm not sure what it means. I know that an agency will be handling my apartment. I have to tell them what I want, and they will have me see a few apartments for selection. I have no idea what it means, I was just wondering if there are any other JETs that might be having a similar experience. I know it might be a new experience for this year considering that there are a lot more JETs going to Tokyo this year than in any previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    I'm being pawned off.

More like it just means that Interac is in charge of helping you, should you require it. Probably for having things like cellphone, utilities etc set up. It actually might be a better arrangement than having someone from the BoE do it (considering how many Tokyo JETs there are now.) At least you'll be able to get help in English, should you not be able to communicate effectively in Japanese.

I think that as long as you have the JET salary and benefits, you're not being pawned off. Interac is just going to be your support system for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    I think that as long as you have the JET salary and benefits, you're not being pawned off. Interac is just going to be your support system for a bit.
    This was my main concern, was that I was somehow going to lose JET's benefits. The benefits are the main reason I wanted to participate in the JET program. Otherwise, I would have just applied as a direct hire.

Apparently interac are only helping with the Tokyo prefectural orientation when you first arrive. So you're not being pawned off - they're just training you initially.

Also with the budget, I believe it's only a prediction so if it does cost a lot more, you'd have something as back up. But according to all of last years Tokyo jet, the initial costs don't have to be paid until after the first pay check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Genki, buddy, I like you.

So no offense, but you have a flair for the dramatic.

You made me worry for a minute there.

Heck, as long as Interac is doing the best they can, you'd probably be better off being trained by them.

From what I've been told/seen on the forums, most training we get is Tokyo Orientation, occasional seminars and any small assistance the BOE could provide.

Having a private company who's business it is to prepare ALTs is probably going to be great.

(Oh and keep in mind the bonus of communicating with an English native speaker. Even if you know Japanese, a lot of possible miscommunication will be evaded.)

I'm all about having a flair for the dramatic! What's life without a little drama