Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preserving the wa(shoku)

Default Preserving the wa(shoku)

http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...school-lunches

What do you guys think about this?

Default Re: Preserving the wa(shoku)

"...the anti-dairy camp says that’s space in the children’s stomachs that would be better occupied by bigger portions of nutritious rice or entrees."

"
    once you weigh the negatives of eating sweets against the positives of getting more calcium, nutritionally, it’s kind of a wash."

I think the lack of awareness that some Japanese people have about what constitutes a balanced diet is astounding.
    Last edited by Cbill1; July 2nd, 2015 at 09:03.

The kids only get polished rice, the kind with all the nutrients washed away, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

You're thinking of real nutrients. They're talking about the pure nourishment of the soul that flows from glorious Japanese culture as like unto mana from heaven.

I know there are plenty of people out there that think anyone past infancy shouldnt be drinking milk, or there are people out there that think humans shouldn't be drinking another specie's milk. There are soooo many other reasons to argue against having milk that have to do with science or nutrition that I could try and respect. But these scammers are reasoning with preserving Japan's history of malnourishment or just the fact milk pairs badly with prego fish. Give me a break.

Wouldn't something with more protein or fiber do these kids better for their part time job (bukatsu) so they've got fuel burning later into the day?

Sounds like the town doesn't have a dietitian on staff and the local ag co-op is taking advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Sounds like the town doesn't have a dietitian on staff and the local ag co-op is taking advantage of that.
    It definitely sounds like backs are getting rubbed, but it does reflect on a lot of the thinking here.

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    It definitely sounds like backs are getting rubbed, but it does reflect on a lot of the thinking here.
    "You shouldn't eat bread! It's very unhealthy. Americans are so fat because they eat so much bread," says the Japanese coworker as they proceed to eat a pound of white rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    "You shouldn't eat bread! It's very unhealthy. Americans are so fat because they eat so much bread," says the Japanese coworker as they proceed to eat a pound of white rice.
    Bread is America's SYUSYOKU da!
    車庫 B1F

As someone who's put a lot of work into learning about nutrition through weight-loss (meeting optimal nutrients through least amount of calories) yakisoba-pan days make me weep.

As someone who's put a lot of work into learning about nutrition through weight-loss (meeting optimal nutrients through least amount of calories)
    The Politically Correct term is Reformed Fatty, I believe.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    Is said Japanese coworker fat?

Is said Japanese coworker fat?
    Not any fatter than me.

Huh, I got an error message when I tried to look at the site.

But based on what people commented about it, I think I get the gist. My school lunches are kind of sad. My first school had a nutritionist on staff so things were pretty well balanced and went together, within reason, so I thought school lunch wasn't that bad. But now I get all of my meals from kyushoku centers, and I swear they rarely make an effort to put things together in a logical way. A lot of meals are all brown or all carbs. Sometimes we get bread but nothing to put on it and we sometimes get pregnant fish without any sauce to drown out the taste. Last year we had beans in our meals more often than not. We get non-polished rice sometimes, but only like once every other week. I really wonder what guidelines they use for nutrition since I'm betting the calories also vary widely day by day.

That said, I can't complain too much since the price and convenience simply can't be beat.

Basically it's talking about a town that did away with milk and it quotes some housewives moaning about how milk doesnt pair well with fish and milk should be replaced with more rice.

Ugh, there's already way too much rice in my kyushoku. I usually return half of it uneaten into the collection bin. No idea what they do with it. (Make sembei, perhaps?)

At least the milk isn't packed full of sugar like American school lunch milks usually are. Unless places have finally stopped serving chocolate milk. Chocolate milk is definitely a drink that does not go with fish.

Can they do away with the rest of the damn kyushoku as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Hey, my kyushoku had gyoza yesterday.

... But yeah, get rid of most of it please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    I like Japanese school lunches better than American ones most of the time, so I'm not a fan of ditching it entirely.

Especially since it's the only solid meal for a lot of kids...