Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preserving the wa(shoku)

Default Re: Preserving the wa(shoku)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    I like Japanese school lunches better than American ones most of the time, so I'm not a fan of ditching it entirely.

Especially since it's the only solid meal for a lot of kids...
    My kyushoku is great 90% of the time. Me not liking fish is a personal problem, not a problem with kyushoku. Although I eat quite a bit less in terms of calories when I make or buy my own lunch. Especially due to the 'give the fattie an extra double serving' that happens occasionally.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...school-lunches

the new link.

Also, seeing as they aren't losing it entirely (just moving it away from lunch) it's not so bad. I mean seriously, milk and natto do not go together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I wonder if their menu is completely Japanese(ish) food anyways. Most people I talk to have 1-2 days a week with (rice-flour) bread and western (style) entrees. My town's school lunch center dropped from bread 2x a week down to only once per week because the bakery supplying the bread closed. Between that and supplying as many ingredients as possible from within the town or from neighboring towns, the menu has skewed a bit over the last several years (according to teachers that have been at my school for much longer than I.) Our milk comes from two towns over - my town has a lot of cattle, but they're primarily extremely high quality beef cattle.

They changed the article, pretty sure it didnt mention special drink time before, BOOO. That's fair, though.

(I still think the reasoning is weak) Personally, my gaikoku opinion is that tuna doesn't pair well with my gaikoku pizza, but what do I know.
    Last edited by sourdoughsushi; July 3rd, 2015 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    They changed the article, pretty sure it didnt mention special drink time before, BOOO. That's fair, though.

(I still think the reasoning is weak) Personally, my gaikoku opinion is that tuna doesn't pair well with my gaikoku pizza, but what do I know.
    Corn on pizza works surprisingly well, as long as it's not a layer of it. The only fish I could ever handle on pizza is anchovies. And only if they're smothered under something else, like 48 different types of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Corn on pizza works surprisingly well, as long as it's not a layer of it. The only fish I could ever handle on pizza is anchovies. And only if they're smothered under something else, like 48 different types of meat.
    I'm guilty of just liking corn in general. But word on the meat. If you didn't nearly endanger an animal to make it, it needs more meat.

I made my own pizza last night, and it completely rocked any pizza I've had in japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Yeah Japanese pizza is basically the opposite of what I like. Just give me the basics.

I am blessed/cursed to live two blocks from the best pizza place in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Last night I got really desperate and just doctored up some decent bread and dipped it into this really good arrabbiata sauce from Italy. It did the job.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Yeah Japanese pizza is basically the opposite of what I like. Just give me the basics.
    I made my own pizza last night, and it completely rocked any pizza I've had in japan
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I am blessed/cursed to live two blocks from the best pizza place in Japan.
    Question to you guys, and anyone else with strong opinions on pizza, what would you define as "real" pizza? Because I've heard that Japanese pizza made a decent Italian places can be pretty "authentic", but it's a very different style to what's considered standard in, say, the US. Are you more into American-style pizza or Italian-style Neapolitan pizza?

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that I had super weird food preferences as a kid and one of the things I absolutely hated growing up was pizza. (I also hated hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, and basically any other "American" staple.) Thankfully I've grown out of that and I'll eat anything now, but I don't really get the "Japanese pizza is so terrible!" complaint since I didn't grow up liking American pizza. For the record, I really like US pizza now, but I can totally live without it.

I actually experienced the same thing hating pizza as a kid. I started liking pizza when I started making my own. Honestly Japanese pizza is pretty close to what I make, but I find the flavor a bit thin and lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I was weird about my pizza...I didn't like the cheese or toppings so I would take all of that off and just east the bread and sauce. Now I'll eat it normal, just as long as there's no meat. I haven't had it yet, but the thought of putting corn on my pizza is just strange.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Eh, can't be that different from having it with rice or corned beef.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    I was weird about my pizza...I didn't like the cheese or toppings so I would take all of that off and just east the bread and sauce.
    Oh wow, I did that too. There are dozens of us... dozens!

My favourite kyuushoku is a big bowl of rice with a mochi soup and a mochi dessert to finish it off.
    Last edited by johnny; July 5th, 2015 at 14:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I grew up in Europe and spent my summers there and Japanese pizza definitely sounds quite similar. American pizza is very different. My fav pizza is thin crust with tuna fish on it. Much more into Italian style pizza or New York style pizza in the US.