Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 English mistakes you see.

Default Re: Top 5 English mistakes you see.

If anyone asked me "how's it going" I would walk away and never give them a second look. Good lord do you people not have standards?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    If anyone asked me "how's it going" I would walk away and never give them a second look. Good lord do you people not have standards?
    At least I don't ask people "How you doin'?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    I really like when my JTEs encourage kids to think about how things are used in the context of English instead of just giving them translations.
    Sadly not all of us got Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ as a coworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Sadly not all of us got Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ as a coworker.
    I've definitely been lucky. Pretty much all of the teachers I've worked with have a pretty solid grasp of English and genuinely want to teach it for communication, even though they're stuck teaching mainly for the tests.

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the norm.

Yeah I believe it. To be fair I think my school has a policy of putting the crappy teachers in my classes where they'll do the least harm. The one I butt heads with most often has been very obviously passed over teaching 3rd grade for the past 4 years, even though she obviously wants to.

I teach adults so the issues might be slightly different, but the most common mistakes I see in no particular order would be:
    - Using more and er. Eg. More cheaper.
    - using japanese English words without changing the pronunciation or understanding differences in meaning. I think using consento for a power point is the worst offender here, but things like suitscase pop up fairly often too.
    - in more advanced speakers, I find there is a huge overuse/misuse of idioms. Im really torn on this because I love that they are making an effort to use them and are interested but it's not terribly natural sounding to use them in every sentence.
    - confusion about what is plural and what should be plural. Eg. Peoples, I don't have a plan for today.
    - And the already mentioned problems differentiating between boring/bored and overuse of passive voice.

Quote Originally Posted by shanshan310 View Post
    - using japanese English words without changing the pronunciation or understanding differences in meaning. I think using consento for a power point is the worst offender here, but things like suitscase pop up fairly often too.
    consento makes sense - it comes from concentric plugs.

Uh... You're saying consento isn't an english mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Uh... You're saying consento isn't an english mistake?
    It's English - and the meaning is tied to the original object (like Hotchkiss, although that's a brand name that somehow got generalized in Japanese and not in English) so I'd say that it's not completely off the rails. It's certainly not a usage most English speakers would recognize aside from pretty clear context..

You could say that of almost all Japanglish though. Obviously it has its root in something, words generally don't just pop out of a vacuum.

High tension...
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    It's English - and the meaning is tied to the original object (like Hotchkiss, although that's a brand name that somehow got generalized in Japanese and not in English) so I'd say that it's not completely off the rails. It's certainly not a usage most English speakers would recognize aside from pretty clear context..
    You could say that of almost all Japanglish though. Obviously it has its root in something, words generally don't just pop out of a vacuum.
    Exactly. Derived from English does not mean it's English.

I haven't been here long to know a million of the most common mistakes, but please for the love of God teach them a salutation that isn't 'See you!' Or at least to take on a 'later' to the end. I have never met a single person in the native English-speaking world that parts ways with that one. In Japan it's like the only one I've ever heard...

Also have seen lots of confusion with a/u. 'I like to play swimming. It is fan.'
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 10th, 2015 at 16:32.

I use 'See you!' all the time.

I've been here too long to remember what I used to say... I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass.

I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing.

@weepinbell: Blame the textbooks for that. Someone years ago decided "See you" is the one standard acceptable "casual" farewell greeting. Same goes for "How are you? I'm fine thank you, and you?" being the only acceptable greeting.

The "play" problem stems from it being translated as "suru" (the generic "to do" verb in Japanese). It's the first verb they're taught, along with "like", since they want kids to be able to say "I play soccer" for their self-introductions. "Swim" isn't taught right away (in JHS at least - elementary books use it) so kids tend to overgeneralize that all verbs or at least sports require "play", hence "I play swim."

Also "swimming" is used in Japanese (such as in "swimming school") but "swim" isn't used, so kids assume that former is the correct word in English.

"Fan" and "fun" is the lack of vowel sounds causing headaches. Most kids just can't differentiate between "u" and "a" sounds and katakana English doesn't help, so they assume everything is just a Japanese "a" sound. Try getting kids to distinguish between "cup", "cap", and "cop" is hard since they'll usually mix them up or think "Coop" is pronunciation for at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    I use 'See you!' all the time.
    Me too. Well, really it comes out more as see yuh, but same difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Me too. Well, really it comes out more as see yuh, but same difference.
    Yeah, sorry that's what I mean, it's the inflection that sounds odd to me. I use `See YA' occasionally, but to me 'See YOU' sounds really weird since the former is soooo casual and natural. And now I'm catching myself saying 'See you' all the time just because everyone does in class lol.

I've been here too long to remember what I used to say... I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass.

I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing.

Careful. You might be eaten by a grue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

One of my pet peeves that I've noticed a lot. Many of my students can't seem to write a lowercase a and u differently...
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.