Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokyo JET - Living and Expenses

Default Re: Tokyo JET - Living and Expenses

Sweet, I'll be sure to do that. I think I'll have more specific questions once I'm actually in Tokyo and look around for myself. Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by YeezyMode View Post
    Sweet, I'll be sure to do that. I think I'll have more specific questions once I'm actually in Tokyo and look around for myself. Thanks for all your help!
    Is there an update to this story? I'm actually going to be moving to Tokyo too (post group C) but more west like an hour away from Shinjuku. Most of the places I am looking at are much more reasonably priced like 430000 - 560,000 for studios and 1 bedroom apartments. Idk how willing you are to live outside the main Tokyo area, but this might save you some money in the long run if you consider transportation and utilities too.

Also, I'm not sure if this applies to you but another JET working in my school and the rest of the people working there are strongly suggesting to me that I don't use ReloJapan based upon overcharging. Ask your supervisor if they know of a good real estate agent to recommend to you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I recommend an edit to remove some zeros there
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

How much does an ALT get paid?

Isn't the amount he's saying about $4,000-5,000ish?

(I would imagine he means overall monthly costs if it wasn't a mistake).
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; August 12th, 2015 at 14:40.

Yeh, like Giz said, I'm pretty sure he's just added a zero to the figures by mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

My mistake I added an extra zero on both.

Where in west Tokyo are you? Being placed there, it does make sense to rent in the area as the properties are cheaper and you get much more for your money, but working in Shinjuku and having to commute from the west is a whole different matter. Those train lines are busy as hell in the morning and night, and I think it is absolutely worth paying a little extra to not have to deal with that crap on a daily basis, I've done it before on the Saikyo and will never do so again, it just isn't worth the stress and daily wear, and that was only on a 15 minute journey to Shinjuku. You won't really start seeing great deals in West Tokyo until you start going past Mitaka city or plan to walk 15+ minutes from the station. In his case, including the requirement of a transfer, it'd probably come up to around an hour of travel, which is a good 10+ hours each week wasted on packed trains. No need to deal with that if you're just starting out fresh as a single person in Tokyo.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

Quote Originally Posted by Atalante View Post
    Where in west Tokyo are you? Being placed there, it does make sense to rent in the area as the properties are cheaper and you get much more for your money, but working in Shinjuku and having to commute from the west is a whole different matter. Those train lines are busy as hell in the morning and night, and I think it is absolutely worth paying a little extra to not have to deal with that crap on a daily basis, I've done it before on the Saikyo and will never do so again, it just isn't worth the stress and daily wear, and that was only on a 15 minute journey to Shinjuku. You won't really start seeing great deals in West Tokyo until you start going past Mitaka city or plan to walk 15+ minutes from the station. In his case, including the requirement of a transfer, it'd probably come up to around an hour of travel, which is a good 10+ hours each week wasted on packed trains. No need to deal with that if you're just starting out fresh as a single person in Tokyo.
    I got my work Visa today, which in my book means that everything is set in stone for me to go to Tokyo-To. I'm currently waiting on my boss to get back to me on his real estate agent, but my CO is in Fuchu-shi like an hour or so away. As for train lines being busy, it's not an issue for me. I've lived and worked in NYC all my life so I have a very good idea about congested train lines, and having to fight for a spot on the train. Though I will say, it will be a lot more convenient to not have to put up with such BS in delays, service suspensions on the weekends, and unexpected detours that NYC's transportation system deals with on a consistent basis.

Yeah, Fuchu isn't a bad area, it's close enough to central Tokyo so that you can get there easily enough on your weekends. It's also fairly close to the Tama Costco, which is a nice bonus.

Heh, I'm from the City myself. The MTA trains can get pretty bad at times, although I feel like Tokyo is consistently worse on a daily basis. At least people are well-behaved here.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

Quote Originally Posted by Atalante View Post
    Yeah, Fuchu isn't a bad area, it's close enough to central Tokyo so that you can get there easily enough on your weekends. It's also fairly close to the Tama Costco, which is a nice bonus.

Heh, I'm from the City myself. The MTA trains can get pretty bad at times, although I feel like Tokyo is consistently worse on a daily basis. At least people are well-behaved here.
    Thanks a lot for letting me know about the Costco nearby. This will definitely be a good place for me to get some stuff. I guess I should get a membership card now while I'm still here at home.