Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm in Saitama

Default I'm in Saitama

Heya, just joined up today cos I found out where I'm going. I'm going to be in Kawagushi in Saitama prefecture- which is my second preference yay!! Hope u guys find out where you're going and that its somewhere you wanted. Let me know if you're anywhere near or are there right now- I'd love to know what's its like. At least the waiting is almost over... Look forward to seeing you all sometime in July.

You dont know what the place is like even though you requested it?

Saitama here too, but wasn't a preference. Apparently Saitama City.

I'm in Okegawa in Saitama! Look forward to meeting you all! Can't wait to find out more about my new home.

Of course I've looked into it but the internet hardly tells you anything!! My main bonus is that its so close to Tokyo and the transport is good so the rest of the country's pretty accesible. Was just thinkign tha people who have been there might wanna give me some info bout what its like to live there, rather than the internet tourist related info that i've looked at.

I'm headed to Saitama too, though no idea what city yet. When might we prefectural ALTs expect to find that out do you think?

Saitama wasn't one of my preferences but the ultimate theme was 'urban but not *too* big' so I'm thrilled.

Anyone who hasn't already should check out a webpage for Saitama JETS that some CIRs made back in 2002 http://www.pref.saitama.lg.jp/A20/BQ00/jet/ for a good overview of weather, budgets, dress codes etc.

Another impression I got from that website was that prefectural ALTs (who don't know their cities yet?) will be teaching secondary school while municipal ALTs, who already know their cities, usually teach elementary of junior high. Anyone know if this is true?

From the sound of things Saitama has a huge and very social JET network, so I look forward to meeting you all fora biru or two in the next few months

Wahey! I’m in Saitama, Kasukabe… where ever that is! I didn’t put a preference down, but I’m very happy to be placed here.

Anyway, it’s cool to see other posters who have the same area. See you in a few months!

I live in Koshigaya which is the city directly south of Kasukabe, and north east of Kawaguchi. Unfortunately I haven't really been to either city so I can't tell you anything about them, but living in this part of Saitama is REALLY easy to get into Tokyo, so it's a very convenient place to live. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of JETs in both your cities (there are 20 in mine!) so there's always someone around if you need anything.
    It is true that municipal JETs teach junior high and primary schools, whereas prefectural JETs are at senior high. But if you don't know your specific placement yet it doesn't automatically mean you're a prefectural JET.

And yay! More Aussies! There's way too many Americans around here at the moment...

I am a little concerned about the lack of Brits…

What ever happened to good old British imperialism?

i live in saitama in Gyodashi near kumagaya. I will be here another year. Saitama is not a bad place to live. Everyplace is about an hour away from tokyo, so you can go there on the weekends to have fun, but too far to go through the week. I like my job and the people. but the city is not all that exciting as I have found the case for most Saitama JET's. good luck to all who got in and see you at the all Saitama JET conference. If you are going to be near Kumagaya you can private message me or you can email me or message me at PJweber2003@hotmail.com or msn me at same name I think.

Hi there, Im about to start my Second year in Saitama - its a bloody excellent place to live, and im sure i`ll see you guys over a couple of biru`s at the saitama orientation once you get here.

Alex, never fear, there are a few of us Brits out here - glad to hear you will be coming to keep the side up. I actually live about 15 mins train journey away from Kasukabe.

Im not often on this site, but If any of you have any questions about Saitama, or are going to be placed near me (i live in Washimiya Town, which is in the North east of saitama, about 45mins from Tokyo) feel free to PM me and I can give you my regular email address.

Prem

i went to saitama once this year. was there for 3 days and it didnt stop raining. bit like home.

Yoshimi-machi for me. I'm excited, but haven't met anyone else from that city yet. Haven't heard from my pred, either. Hmm, oh well, two months till I leave!

Melly, do you mean Kawaguchi?
    I spent time there years ago and really liked it. I'm definitely going to go back and visit!
    I've been placed in Saitama-shi.

Going to Satte-shi here.

Pandilex

I went on holiday to saitama, looked like quite a nice place to live, VERY good access to tokyo...

Sadly I despise tokyo but it's great for you guys I suspect, unenlightened in the ways of osaka ! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I went on holiday to saitama, looked like quite a nice place to live, VERY good access to tokyo...

Sadly I despise tokyo but it's great for you guys I suspect, unenlightened in the ways of osaka ! :P
    Ahhh yes, the good old Osaka vs Tokyo debate.

guys, just wanted to check if u realised that this saitama thread is actually the one for people who came last year??? hehe

*sigh*
    Apparently I've been living under a rock for the past six months as I've just found out about this site, but oh well.

I'm a new JETer, and will be heading to Kuki city, Saitama. It seems to be a pretty prime spot as it's right on a major train line with pretty easy access to Tokyo, but not to sure about the city itself. Hopefully I'll hear from my Pred soon....

er, This thread seems to be slightly dead, but got to start somewhere right? :?

Oh hey, has anyone else tried to join the Saitama JET group on Yahoo? I tried a while ago and got completely shafted. Anyone else have this kind of trouble?? Hopefully I can meet some fellow Saitamians (does that even work as a word!?) through here though.

Ok, thanks!

saitama city here i come!

so, everyone always talks about how close saitama is to tokyo. what about saitama? what kinds of things do y'all like to do there?