Thread: Asking for holidays at work! - Need advice

Default Asking for holidays at work! - Need advice

Hey everyone,

I've heard from many people, books, and other resources that asking for holidays in Japan is a sensitive subject that must be approached tactfully. I'm placed in a private school
    in Tokyo and was wondering if some of you had any advice for my regarding this issue. I was planning on asking for a few holidays by looking at the list of national holidays, but I'm not
    sure when exactly to do it. Some of my peers plan on asking their supervisors on the day they meet, whereas others are saying it's best to wait a week or two. Please let me know
    your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Default Re: Asking for holidays at work! - Need advice

Here's what I do when I ask for more than one day off (like if I have to go abroad for something.)

First, I ask the teachers I work with if it's OK. (As a formality - I tell them I'm going to ask for x days off.) Once they know, I ask (often with a little note with the dates) the head teacher or VP if it's OK. (Again mostly a formality, as they've never not OK'd it.) Then I contact my supervisor and ask for permission from the BoE itself (this is the one that really matters IMHO.) Usually by phone or by email for convenience's sake. Once I have there casual OK, I'll go and pick up the paperwork from the BoE office. Usually, when I go in person they might have a question or two about why or confirming when. Then I fill out the form and turn it in through the school (the way the system is set.)

Usually I ask 3-4 weeks in advance (more if I'm booking trans-oceanic airfare - I wouldn't book until I have confirmation in writing.) For short notice (like needing to go to the dentist etc,) I'll still notify the JTEs I'm currently working with and ask the VP directly. The VP will call the BoE and talk to them, and send me on my way. Then I just have to fill out the form and get it stamped after the fact.

Usually taking a day or two off around national holidays is just fine (especially if it means you won't be missing any classes.)

Hope this helps; good luck!

Ugh, don't do it on the first day.

If you are just taking small one day holidays here and there, you probably just need to give a month's heads up. For longer holidays, talk to your supervisor as soon as possible so they can plan for your extended absence. Just not on the first day.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Those were my feelings as well, thanks!

Perfect, thanks for the tips!

It will depend on the school though. Some are more generous in this area than others.

you definitely won't be met with smiles and open arms by your supervisor if the first thing you inquire about when you first meet is when you can take holidays. Maybe wait until your bags are at least unpacked before thinking about popping that question lol

That precautionary warning aside, taking vacation will vary on your schools V.P.. Personally, my VP is pretty relaxed about vacation days. As long as i give at least 2-3 weeks courtesy notice, pre-plan or rearrange the classes I may miss with my JTEs, it's usually never a problem. Remember, taking vacation is your right and you shouldn't feel like its taboo to ask. However, be a responsible adult and take the proper steps with your school, so you're not totally leaving them there pissing in the wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Just a little anecdote about my BOE: I was once scolded for not telling my BOE sooner about my plans to visit my family during summer break. When did I spring this news on them, you may be wondering? I told them seven months in advance. Apparently that's not early enough.

Quote Originally Posted by n107 View Post
    Just a little anecdote about my BOE: I was once scolded for not telling my BOE sooner about my plans to visit my family during summer break. When did I spring this news on them, you may be wondering? I told them seven months in advance. Apparently that's not early enough.
    That's rather frightening. My BoE wanted to know (yesterday) if I was planing to fly back to the US for Obon. They seemed to have forgotten that I asked them for time off 4 months in advance the last time I took more than one day off...

I have a folder where I write in my own nenkyuu, stamp it, and give it to my hancho to stamp. He takes it to kacho who stamps it. Yesterday the other CIR requested yesterday afternoon off and the reaction was, "Oh, sure. OK! See you tomorrow."
    I'm pretty fired up about that.
    車庫 B1F

I feel lucky. My BOE did not seem to GAF. When I told them I was going back to Canada for Christmas, they pretty much said "oh, okay. You have to be back by January X because you have classes to teach". That was it.

When I asked them about stamping my nenkyuu book, they just said, "Don't worry. Have fun in Canada". They ended up giving me an extra week of vacation just for the hell of it. The same thing happened when I went to Hong Kong.

So, they either really hate me, or really like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.