Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JET or Interac

Default JET or Interac

Hey guys, I am really determined on applying for JET. I feel more comfortable with the company and I have more information on it and know more people who have been/are currently working with them. I really want to know more about Interac though. I feel I can't make a proper decision without knowing more about this company. I know there are many more companies that send people to teach English in Japan, and I've looked at them, but JET and Interac will be my two main focuses. Any input on either? Thank you!!

Default Re: JET or Interac

I think the general consensus it that JET pays better and has better support for their ALTs but Interac has the added bonus of being more likely placed in a big city (if that's your thing). A lot of JETs get placed rurally.

ok, I didn't know about the city thing with Interac. I prefer rural or suburban. Thank you!

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Interac doesn't play for the flight; Jet does.

Interac is more of a business experience, whereas JET is advertised as sharing culture.

If you are looking for something more akin to Interac, I remember hearing about a better paying company.

I think it was Altia Central? Or another one along those lines.

Edit :

It doesn't hurt to apply to both if we are being honest.

Though JET's process takes longer.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; July 26th, 2015 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    It doesn't hurt to apply to both of we are being honest.

Though JET's process takes longer.
    Also, Interac knows that people do this and you'll usually get an offer before you hear back from the JET process, which can sometimes put you in a bit of a bind.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Someone explained to me once that Intrac is focused around being a teaching program, whereas JET is more focused on being a language and cultural exchange program. I don't really know how true that is myself yet, but I'm sure some other people here can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I think it was Altia Central? Or another one along those lines.
    Just looked at them. They seem to do a pretty good deal. Why are they not the favourite second choice though? Surely there is something wrong with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Someone explained to me once that Intrac is focused around being a teaching program, whereas JET is more focused on being a language and cultural exchange program. I don't really know how true that is myself yet, but I'm sure some other people here can chime in.
    Interac is a private company that hires people specifically to work as English teachers. JET hires people to come to Japan and work as English teachers, international relations coordinators, or high level sports coaches - and be the local foreigner. Which is why ALTs generally have their hands held and everything sorted out for them - so they can be a model foreigner living in whatever community.

I think, personally, the key difference between the two is that Interac is a business that hires teachers. They are a dispatch company first and foremost. It's easier to get in to, they don't pay for your flight, and, to my knowledge, subsidized living is more rare through Interac. JET provides a lot more in terms of support, as people have already mentioned, and is far more community and 'grass roots' than Interac.

I feel a central component of the two programs is that JETs sign a contract with the BoE for which they will be working. Interac ALTs sign a contract with Interac. Which means you answer to Interac not the school, which can cause tension, frustration and in some cases, I would assume, miscommunication of contract, rights, and other things.

My two cents:

If you're fresh out of university and looking for a job JET provides more support, greater community, far more "hand holding" and is probably a better option.

If you're looking for a job and have financial stability already and are just looking to do something as a change of pace, perhaps Interac is a better option.

However, take it all with a grain of salt. Do what you feel you're comfortable doing. Living in a new country is adventure and can be stressful; however, it's worth doing, if only for a year. Everyone's life style, living situation, and personality will GREATLY weigh upon their situation; it's the same in your home country. Go to Japan, however you can, and be open to the experience and you'll have a great time. If you expect to live the same way as you do in your home country you'll be in a for a rude awakening in all aspects of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Shelley
    What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

Jet pays more per month than Interac and pays for your flight. Also, if I am not mistaken, you don't get paid during the school breaks with Interac which means that if you sign in with them, you need to be careful with your money.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Jet pays more per month than Interac and pays for your flight. Also, if I am not mistaken, you don't get paid during the school breaks with Interac which means that if you sign in with them, you need to be careful with your money.
    I interviewed with Interac before accepting with JET. Interac you make pro-rated salary during the holidays. You work less days, you get paid less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Shelley
    What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    I interviewed with Interac before accepting with JET. Interac you make pro-rated salary during the holidays. You work less days, you get paid less.
    Do you remember how much you get paid during those periods?
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Just keep in mind that JET isn't a company. It's the program that interviews and screens the candidates and places them with local municipalities. So, you're working directly for the BOE you are placed with.

In the case of Interac they contract with the BOE so everything goes through them.

One good thing about JET that I don't think was mentioned yet is that with some of the older placements that have been around forever the housing for the ALTs is often long-established and in some cases you could find yourself in a giant house for free or almost nothing. That can make a huge difference in salary in some cases, obviously.

Of course, that's not a given.

I guess I should point out on the flip side, if you're the type of person who doesn't want your hand held or have everything pre-determined about your housing then Interac could turn out to be the better deal.

Can I ask why everyone looks to Interac? There are loads of companies out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

In'rrac big.
    車庫 B1F

In terms of the pro-rating during vacation months they tell you that it's basically 50% for August, 75% for December and though they don't state it as explicitly they do tell you that you are prorated between contracts as well, so in March/April you are likely to get less too though how much is dependent on the contract.

I can definitely agree with what most people above have said. As far as why Interac is the big choice from what I can tell it's a combination of them being around for quite a while as well as being a major overseas recruiter. Many of the other companies don't seem to have as big of an overseas recruiting front and they do a lot from in Japan itself. My view on the matter is that if you have the time and desire to wait for JET then that is your best choice, they pay better as well as all of the other perks that have been mentioned. If you think you can be smart with money, including saving the $5000+ to get started in Japan, then Interac is a decent enough choice. Interac also boasts about their flexibility with placements and that after one contract you can always request to move somewhere else in Japan whereas with JET you are a little stuck where you end up and all. The best choice is really an individual thing though and it's not like there haven't been a ton of people comparing the two in all sorts of blogs and videos.

Also, if it hasn't been obvious, I am answering from the perspective of someone who has signed on with Interac though I'm not in Japan yet (Spring 2016). So far my impression has been exceedingly good and everyone I spoke with during the interviews was incredibly kind. As for time wise I didn't exactly apply in peak times, just afterwords actually, but from start to offer of employment it took just over a month (40 days) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    Can I ask why everyone looks to Interac? There are loads of companies out there.
    In terms of numbers of ALTs, JET is the largest (4101 ALTs as of July 1). Interac is number two (around 2500.) And then everything else - like Borderlink etc is close to an order of magnitude smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    Just looked at them. They seem to do a pretty good deal. Why are they not the favourite second choice though? Surely there is something wrong with them.
    I knew a girl who went through them a few years back. She seemed to have a better deal than most JETs in my prefecture so I also never understood why they're not more well-known.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    I knew a girl who went through them a few years back. She seemed to have a better deal than most JETs in my prefecture so I also never understood why they're not more well-known.
    I've heard actually mostly good things about them. I think they pay pretty well and I think I read they actually offer some kind of possibility for advancement in the company.