Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JET or Interac

Default Re: JET or Interac

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    I knew a girl who went through them a few years back. She seemed to have a better deal than most JETs in my prefecture so I also never understood why they're not more well-known.
    Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I've heard actually mostly good things about them. I think they pay pretty well and I think I read they actually offer some kind of possibility for advancement in the company.
    If that is the case. They are now my first choice if I don't get JET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moirica View Post

Also, if it hasn't been obvious, I am answering from the perspective of someone who has signed on with Interac though I'm not in Japan yet (Spring 2016). So far my impression has been exceedingly good and everyone I spoke with during the interviews was incredibly kind. As for time wise I didn't exactly apply in peak times, just afterwords actually, but from start to offer of employment it took just over a month (40 days) for me.
    You got accepted for Spring 2016 already? Jeez. That's almost a 8 month wait to find out about your placement and 9 to move out there. If you're going to wait that long, why not apply for early departure for JET? Wouldn't it be better to compare your options if you got accepted for JET too?

The $5000+ to get started in Japan seems a little steep. I understand why it's that number, but if you're looking for the flexibility in placements and the ability to move somewhere else a year later, aren't you spending almost the same amount of money on moving costs for the next year? Think about it: agency fees, key money, insurance, paying a mover, buying new furniture and appliances if need be, etc. That's a lot of money to shell out for the ability to be flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    If that is the case. They are now my first choice if I don't get JET.
    If you want to get into JET. You might want to brush up on your grammar skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Yes; I agree.

I made a mistake!

I am a terrible neckbeard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

I made a mistake!

I am a terrible neckbeard.
    That only happens when you acknowledge the mistake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    That only happens when you acknowledge the mistake!
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Just looked at them. They seem to do a pretty good deal. Why are they not the favourite second choice though? Surely there is something wrong with them.

Probably has something to do with this:

"We typically employ about 10 to 20 overseas applicants each April, and another 5 to 10 or so in September. "

Too small a company to be a reliable second choice. They also require you have some sort of Japanese language ability before-hand. Does seem like a good choice if you can meet the requirements though.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.
    Neckbeards have become the new hipster. They are the new mythical characters that represent everything people hate.
    Last edited by johnny; July 29th, 2015 at 17:06.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I don't think I've ever heard "Grammar Nazi" put so eloquently. I shall immortalize this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Shelley
    What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Neckbeards have become the new hipster. They are the new mythical characters that represent everything people hate.
    This tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    You got accepted for Spring 2016 already? Jeez. That's almost a 8 month wait to find out about your placement and 9 to move out there. If you're going to wait that long, why not apply for early departure for JET? Wouldn't it be better to compare your options if you got accepted for JET too?

The $5000+ to get started in Japan seems a little steep. I understand why it's that number, but if you're looking for the flexibility in placements and the ability to move somewhere else a year later, aren't you spending almost the same amount of money on moving costs for the next year? Think about it: agency fees, key money, insurance, paying a mover, buying new furniture and appliances if need be, etc. That's a lot of money to shell out for the ability to be flexible.
    Honestly I forgot early departure was a thing until you mentioned it just now. I suppose I could apply for JET to compare options and all. It's something I might consider when the applications open. It will also depend on when Interac starts filing the paperwork for things like the CoE because as far as I understand it once they apply for that you are pretty much locked in with them. I could be wrong on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moirica View Post
    Honestly I forgot early departure was a thing until you mentioned it just now. I suppose I could apply for JET to compare options and all. It's something I might consider when the applications open. It will also depend on when Interac starts filing the paperwork for things like the CoE because as far as I understand it once they apply for that you are pretty much locked in with them. I could be wrong on that though.
    Locked in? Says who? I mean it couldn't hurt to apply to JET and do an interview and then decide what to do from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Locked in? Says who? I mean it couldn't hurt to apply to JET and do an interview and then decide what to do from there.
    Well as far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, but once a company applies for your certificate of eligibility then it's not as easy to switch. They mention something about how if multiple companies apply for a CoE for you then immigration could flag that and reject the applications. You're right though, it wouldn't hurt to apply to JET as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    Probably has something to do with this:

"We typically employ about 10 to 20 overseas applicants each April, and another 5 to 10 or so in September. "

Too small a company to be a reliable second choice. They also require you have some sort of Japanese language ability before-hand. Does seem like a good choice if you can meet the requirements though.

Yeah that's definitely a company that wants people with some experience. Though the face value level of information right away on things like placement and what not is pretty good. Seems like a great choice for those who had a pretty big foundation of Japanese/Asia studies, some practical experience, and some non-book only language skills.