Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of JETS

Default Age of JETS

Just curious about the age of aspiring JETS and if people think it may influence their chances of selection.

I myself will be 30 next year if I go.

Default Re: Age of JETS

No worries. Older applicants invariably worry about this but it seems to not have all that much influence. Most JETs are younger but this is generally because it's easier for fresh graduates to apply. I've known lots of older JETs; my former co-ALT is 36 or 37 now (he transferred; is currently in his 5th year). It doesn't really get creepy until you're one of the rare 40-something-year-olds.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Phew... I'd like to avoid being that creepy guy...

I'm still cool... I think? Cowabunga?

Cheers word.

Of course, if you're one of the 30-somethings who tries to act like the 20-somethings, you can easily be just as creepy/sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by starxrox View Post
    Phew... I'd like to avoid being that creepy guy...

Cheers word.
    Meh, you might not hang out as much with the younger Jets. I hang out with all the 30 something Jets in my area instead.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

That is so 90s. Get with the times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

JET still does tend to like 'em young, white and upper-middle class but it's a bit more diverse age wise than I expected. When I applied at 27 I expected to be the oldest person on the entire programme but at TO I barely made it into the top third of oldies.

I've noticed that with the weakening yen and loss of perks there seems to be more and more young "gap year" JETs in the intake, but that's purely speculative on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    That is so 90s. Get with the times.
    Haha you know I was takin' the piss right?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    I've noticed that with the weakening yen and loss of perks there seems to be more and more young "gap year" JETs in the intake, but that's purely speculative on my part.
    Loss of perks you say?
    What has changed? Sorry if that's been discussed before.

Haha you know I was takin' the piss right?
    Of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

Loss of perks you say?
    The biggest changed is you now get taxed on your now smaller salary, greatly reducing your take home.

CLAIR no longer wants direct contact with you. Most communication is now to go through the CO.

On the plus side, you can now get real counselling services, and not spill your guts to someone whose only qualification is the JLPT N2.

What all that means for JET and etc is up for debate. There -seem- to be fewer 3rd and 4th years this year, but I never really took headcounts in the past. The current state of affairs just makes JET less than appealing for people with student loans or any kind of responsibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Loss of perks you say?
    Salary was reduced for the 2012 intake year. At the same time, the requirement for COs to compensate for local taxes was dropped - so new JETs pay their local taxes out of their paycheck.

JETs from outside the US or Ireland now have to pay residence tax from year one as well. UK JETs in first year now end up with about ¥600,000 less in their pocket at the end of the year than those who came pre-2012. As the pay now rises year-on-year though, incomers can "catch up" on salary by staying longer.

Ahh right. Thanks all.

That's actually kinda disappointing and as an older potential JET... It makes me think that maybe I should focus on an actual career instead...

Ahh right. Thanks all.

That's actually kinda disappointing and as an older potential JET... It makes me think that maybe I should focus on an actual career instead...
    That's why I'm headed home.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Just to add to what charisma is saying, I was surprised by how many older people there were at the London orientation. Sure, the vast majority were young, either fresh out of Uni (me) or early-mid twenties, but there were a fair few who were definitely 30+. I wouldn't really be worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    That's why I'm headed home.
    That's a bummer Johnny.
    How long did you stick it out for?

Two years. They were a good two years and I have no regrets. Also, my student loans are finally gone and I have money saved up so I have time to look for a job that I want. Things could be a heck of a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Two years. They were a good two years and I have no regrets. Also, my student loans are finally gone and I have money saved up so I have time to look for a job that I want. Things could be a heck of a lot worse.
    Nice work.
    It's a tough call.
    Maybe I should get some teaching experience under my belt in Australia, pay off my loans and then head over.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Before doing that, check and see if continuity is required for seniority in Australia. If it is, do JET first, if it's not, have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.