Thread: Travel Insruance for flights/hotels,...

Default Travel Insruance for flights/hotels,...

Hi there,
    I am looking at going to Okinawa (main island and a few other ones) in September.
    It is taifun season, so it is very possible my travels will be disrupted by one or more taifuns.
    I would like to take a travel insurance to cover my flight, hotel and possibly diving costs if this does happen.
    Because for the purpose of the insurances I have been able to find I am considered a Japanese resident, I am not allowed to apply for a travel insurance. (I don't want the health part of it - I am covered already by the 4 health insurances we have to sign up for).
    Does anyone know what I could do?
    Cheers

Default Re: Travel Insruance for flights/hotels,...

Try to find a local travel agent or contact your airline - they might have recommendations. The largest problem I had when buying travel insurance for flights out of Japan is that American travel insurance companies wouldn't cover me while in the US - only abroad.

Sorry maybe I should have added. I have found some flight-only insurances which could have worked, but they are only applicable to US Residents or Citizens and I am neither of those.

If you're in Japan already, you'll probably want to talk to a Japanese travel agent. Most of the online (English) options are aimed at Americans traveling from the US to Japan instead of people living in Japan.

I am indeed already in Japan, but I would prefer to avoid a local travel agent. I like to read my insurance contracts and policies before signing and I would never be able to do that if these were in Japanese (even the basic ones have exclusions, details that are important and not necessarily obvious). It might make filling for a claim a hassle as well. If anyone knows a way to do this in English for a non-American 'Japanese resident'...
    Cheers