Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residence Card vs Mobile Phone Contract

Default Residence Card vs Mobile Phone Contract

So close! I've just winged myself through a 20 to 30 minute conversation at a phone shop which ended in being told the back of my residence card was blank and needed a printed address on it. She didn't know who did that kind of thing. Neither do I!

Where do I take my residence card to get an address printed on the back?

I'm in Tokyo for the week and heading to Osaka next week to work.

Default Re: Residence Card vs Mobile Phone Contract

Wat? Your gaijin card should have your address on the front. The spaces on the back are for address corrections (when you move). If your card currently shows the incorrect address, you'll need to have it changed at your new municipality. You have a fairly limited amount of time to do this, too; if you moved a year ago and never bothered to correct your gaijin card, you could be in some trouble of some kind (not sure how severe it is; mebbe not very).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Wat? Your gaijin card should have your address on the front. The spaces on the back are for address corrections (when you move). If your card currently shows the incorrect address, you'll need to have it changed at your new municipality. You have a fairly limited amount of time to do this, too; if you moved a year ago and never bothered to correct your gaijin card, you could be in some trouble of some kind (not sure how severe it is; mebbe not very).
    I had to have mine written on the back when I moved here.

On the front my address says 未定
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I arrived yesterday. They just waved me through and handed me the card. Still, I guess I'll register my address when I get to Osaka this weekend, maybe? If you never hear from me again, you'll know what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by enlight85 View Post
    I arrived yesterday. They just waved me through and handed me the card. Still, I guess I'll register my address when I get to Osaka this weekend, maybe? If you never hear from me again, you'll know what happened...
    That's exactly how it worked for me. Yours probably says the same.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Yep. Since they're issuing the residency cards at the airport now, I'm fairly certain everyone's card has "未定" printed on it. Once you get to where you're working and register as a resident of your town at city hall, they'll write in your address and stamp it.

/edit/ and by "everyone" I mean incoming JETs, if that wasn't clear
    Last edited by hypatia; August 12th, 2015 at 22:45.

Quote Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
    Yep. Since they're issuing the residency cards at the airport now, I'm fairly certain everyone's card has "未定" printed on it. Once you get to where you're working and register as a resident of your town at city hall, they'll write in your address and stamp it.

/edit/ and by "everyone" I mean incoming JETs, if that wasn't clear

OIC

I was here before the new cards were issued (still have my old card, actually!), so mine has my address printed on the front. Not surprising at all that the phone co wouldn't work with you until your card had a legitimate address.

The fact that they would print a "pending" card is just downright weird, imho, but who am I to question the Japanese government.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I had to register my card with my town's city hall. It was then that they printed my address on the back.

They wrote mine on by hand, in a water-based fine-point marker that smudged into illegibility almost immediately. It was near-illegible when they first handed it to me, but they were apparently cool with that. :/

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Well you should be getting a proper one from city hall in a few weeks right? So it wouldn't really matter in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Well you should be getting a proper one from city hall in a few weeks right? So it wouldn't really matter in the long run.
    If by "proper one" you mean a new/updated residency card, I don't think that's the case. I've been here a year and still have the one with my address written in on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Really? That's strange... Atleast with the old ARC system you got a proper ID card that everyone could recognize as having proper address information on it without looking sketchy...

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
    If by "proper one" you mean a new/updated residency card, I don't think that's the case. I've been here a year and still have the one with my address written in on the back.
    I can second this.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Really? That's strange... Atleast with the old ARC system you got a proper ID card that everyone could recognize as having proper address information on it without looking sketchy...
    Yup, the new system got rid of the printed address in order to have Immigration print and issue the cards on arrival. Then you need to go to your city/ward/town/village hall and get it updated when you arrive. With mine they wrote my address and stamped the town name. Kinda sucks, but its a big improvement over the old system's fill out a form for foreigners that only seems to come in Japanese, go to city hall in a one or two hour window, wait a week, then go back and pick it up. Because that's what I had to do in 2011.

odd, in 2011 all I did was fill out the japanese language form (that one's kinda stupid), got them to print out my jyuminhyou for me to use as a temporary proof of residence, then a week later my new card came in the mail. It was actually quite simple (and not that inconvenient.

Also wow... I guess I can feel even more awesome that I have always had an ID (both the ARC and later my residence card) with proper information printed on it :P

I have so many Japanese ID cards now thanks to getting married and changing my last name.

1. My old ARC stashed away somewhere
    2. A now invalid residency card with my old last name
    3. A new RC with my new name
    4. A Japanese license
    5. A "juki card" with my English name and legal Japanese alias*
    6. My national health card, which surprisingly has only my new name written in Japanese and no one made a fuss about it

*I have a Japanese legal alias registered so I can write my last name in kanji on official forms, but a "juki card" is the only ID they'll issue to foreigners now with an alias included.

Changing all of that ID was a pain in the butt... And I still have a few more things to change so my new name is legally recognized in the US too but I haven't bothered yet.

Come to think of it, I still need to change the name and address on my Japanese license too. Whoops.
    Last edited by Ebi; August 17th, 2015 at 22:36.

TBH, I guess Japan doesn't really gaf much if your address is illegibly scribbled on the back, because it's all tied into the RF chip inside the thing. I was kinda caught off-guard by this; the card itself is sh*ttily printed and some of the numbers have rubbed off of mine because of the way it sits in my wallet. As a result, you can't actually read my ID number properly (an "8" looks like a "3"). Never mattered, though, because they stick the sucker in a little cradle-thing at Immigration and it reads all the data from the chip inside.

I dunno if the RF gizmo can be read by folks at the cellphone store, but I can't imagine anyone at a Japanese government office giving half a sh*t about a gaijin's ability to get a cellphone.

Same! My numbers/letters started peeling off my old card too. I had to use an old photocopy to confirm the number for my recontract form.

Also, did you guys all get 3 year visas? I've heard they're cracking down more lately and being stingier with their visit limits.

I only got one year for a spousal visa even though I was given a three-year renewal last time. =/

I've heard about this, too, and am a bit nervous about it, as my renewal is due next month. I guess I'll find out (and I'll let you know, I promise). Always been given three years every time I've applied previously... not sure how it'll go this round.

I got a 3 year one, I assume all the new JETs did as well.