Thread: Post JET US Taxes

Default Post JET US Taxes

Returned to the US after a 4 year stint on JET. Wondering if I am expected to pay taxes on my JET income for my last year in Japan, since it was only Jan~July and not a full year. Can't seem to find any information to answer this question. Thanks

Default Re: Post JET US Taxes

If you paid Japanese tax on it and you can exclude it using the Foreign Income Exclusion (any full 365 day period etc) you'll be fine. Unless you used it to open a retirement account in the US...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any insight on filing back taxes? I didn't file anything during my 5 years for a multitude of reasons, but I had been a dependent all the way up until I graduated before my 1st year so all of this is pretty confusing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sooyong View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any insight on filing back taxes? I didn't file anything during my 5 years for a multitude of reasons, but I had been a dependent all the way up until I graduated before my 1st year so all of this is pretty confusing to me.
    If you're an American, then just follow the guidelines on the Kumamoto JET page since they have tax guides still up from previous years: KumamotoJET

(The site appears to be down right now though.)

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    (The site appears to be down right now though.)
    Working for me, Eve .

Quote Originally Posted by sooyong View Post
    If you're worried about fines or something don't worry. The IRS actually doesn't care if you don't file on time if you don't owe anything. You can file all the previous years at once.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    If you're worried about fines or something don't worry. The IRS actually doesn't care if you don't file on time if you don't owe anything. You can file all the previous years at once.
    This brought about a sigh of relief upon reading. Thanks.