Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big changes are coming

Default Big changes are coming

ITIL as we know it will cease to exist within a few months. The site will no longer be highly JET related and instead all current posts will be archived and locked. General chit-chat will be moved away from the more informational posts such as those about teaching or JET.

In the short term the site will become leaner, but in the long term hopefully a new community can be born from what remains of ITIL. The glory days of 2004-2010 are long gone and we must adapt. A decision will be made in Summer 2016 whether or not to continue the new ITIL or simply close up shop.

We're always looking for ideas and volunteers to help make the site a popular community. If you would like to help, get in contact with myself or word.

Thanks
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Default Re: Big changes are coming

Children are so fat today! Isn’t there some way we can make money off that?

sounds like a solid plan: tempt them in the door with solid informational articles but hook them into staying with our saucy banter and heavy petting.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah I think the facebook groups (The incoming groups as well as the prefectural/regional ones) have really stunted the community on here as well as a somewhat tarnished rep among JETs, moving away from being based purely around JET sounds like a good idea.

So what'll be happening with VIP access?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    So what'll be happening with VIP access?
    The appeal of having to donate in order to receive access should probably stay if you ask me.

It's not like VIP was ever about JET specific activities.

A VIP forum will continue to exist but how VIP access is acquired will change slightly. It will be subscription based rather than lifetime access. The current system of allowing people lifetime access for $5 isn't sustainable.
    Full details will be posted in the near future
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Based on this year all we need to do is dedicate the entire site to using MVNO sim cards in unlocked american and british smartphones and the newbs will be on us like white on rice.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I dunno... If you want people to buy something, you have to have something to sell.

With no one generating content, why on Earth would anyone pay a subscription fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

cant we make money streaming some of jiggits "private collection"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    cant we make money streaming some of jiggits "private collection"?
    Nobody wants to see jiggits privates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Nobody wants to see jiggits privates.
    Speak for yourself. In my mind Jiggit is a beautiful lady with man parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Are there any updates on what these big changes will look like? Are we talking about just closing down/consolidating some of the subforums or are we going full caitlyn jenner?

Maybe consider changing the name and refocusing to a general Japan/ life in Japan website with a separate JET and teaching area? I feel like everyone associates ITIL with JET only.

The Japan and Japanlife subreddits are fairly popular and are actually full of people who are not teachers or JETs. Outisde of reddit there aren't really any decent communities like that around actually.

Ini - haven't had any time since the original post to look at it. I've been working 60-70hr weeks for about 2 months. End is hopefully in sight and get back to some sort of normality.

Damn, have you ended up with a japanese boss??? In that case dont worry about it.

I don't know much any more, Ini. My brain turned to mush about 6 weeks ago.
    All I know is, I'll be sitting here at my desk tomorrow and Sunday, and same again next week.
    Tomorrow is Saturday isnt it? Gotta keep checking.

This matches your avatar.

If cost of upkeep or popularity is an issue, why not reduce the site/merge with another smaller site, and in its place encourage the use of a subreddit?

Because reddit is shit.