Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My JTE is ignoring meeee

Default My JTE is ignoring meeee

I mentioned this briefly in my lil rant on the 2016 applicants thread, but I figured I'd get some opinions on how to deal with this.

I'm work at one middle school for starters, my 1st and second year teachers are great, and so is the communication teacher, so I've been actively working with 3 JTEs as it is without him. I'm not totally crushed about this one errant JTE but still, it'd be nice to at least do my intro for his students. He's the 3rd year teacher, and I've heard from a couple of my preds that he just doesn't like to work with the ALTs and they don't really know why, but all they can really guess is he's taking their exams really seriously and maybe he's a little unconfident in his English. However, my preds only worked at this school like 2-3 days a week - I'm working there 5 days a week, so it'd be nice to be utilized every once in awhile in the 3rd year class. Anyway, I've heard the only way I'll even get anywhere at all is if I approach this guy. I'm a little intimidated by him to be honest considering the other day he literally flipped a shit in the staff room over some teacher he needed to talk to being away from her desk sooo. Also, my other teachers keep casually mentioning 'oh, when you teach the 3rd years... when the 3rd years see your self intro...' like expecting me to have a schedule for these classes.

Literally if anything else, I'd really like to do my self intro for them. I feel like it sucks that the 1st and 2nd years are getting a class on it and (so far) the 3rd years aren't, especially because they're all really eager to talk to me so far in communications class and outside of class.

So yeah, basically I'd like to figure out a way to breach this topic in a super non-imposing, delicate way... would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Default Re: My JTE is ignoring meeee

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Anyway, I've heard the only way I'll even get anywhere at all is if I approach this guy.
    You've answered your question. You either go up to him and offer help or you don't go to third year classes. Show him ideas, ask for input and if after a while he's still not giving you responsibilities write him off. Talk to the third years outside of class.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; August 31st, 2015 at 17:37.

Yeah I mean that's the plan, my biggest question is HOW to approach him/what to say at this point because he just looks super grumpy 24/7.... pretty sure he's not an all ears kinda guy for exchanging ideas lol. I just don't wanna say the wrong thing and end up without literally any chance of getting in his class at all. :/

My personal approach to teachers in Japan was always through the self-deprecating route. Approach him and let him know you're not sure how to plan for 3rd years, you'd like to know exactly what you need to cover, you're not experienced and would appreciate his help, etc. Make it sound like he'd be doing you a favor to have you in class, not like it's his job (which it is), and usually that gets a more favorable response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

I understand that you mean well, but third years don't care about you. Internationalization won't get them into a decent high school. The jte might be a grump, but you try being a middle aged Japanese man with high blood pressure, erectile dysfunction, 12 hour days, and 160 little shits to transform into passable shs students. You might not be able to turn that frown upside down, either.

If you're not scheduled for them, don't worry about them. They have half a year left, anyway. If you recontract, try to weasel in on the current second years's classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

He's like 30. :P Yeah, I'm aware they have exams and stuff and clearly they take precedence, that's why I said that I'd like to get in there for just self intro lessons, if anything else. My other JTEs are keeping me busy, either way. Anyway, this story is over because he literally just wrote some classes on my schedule this morning without even consulting me, sooo I guess that's just this guy's style? Haha. Or more likely, someone else said something to him, whether it be the other JTEs or the students, but hey, I guess I'm just glad I didn't have to do the confronting. Either way, I'm getting to do the intro which I'm glad for, but thanks for the tips Shincansten I'm sure I'm gonna come across situations that will require that tactic in the very near future...

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    If you're not scheduled for them, don't worry about them. They have half a year left, anyway.
    They've got less than that. When cram season starts in December/January, most classes will have finished the textbook and moved on to topical coverage to pass whatever SHS entrance exam they're going to take. At which point your roll will probably be human cd player/speaker for listening practice tests (and maybe cheering squad.) Although this depends on how academic your school is.

This year, my rotation is mostly 1st and 2nd year classes. Mostly because the 3rd years are doing a LOT of intensive/remedial English because of two years of 'experimental' English classes that didn't pass muster.

I'm with UTIL, if you're scheduled for classes but teachers are asking you not to come (common enough) that's one thing. If you're not scheduled for that class then it's really out of your purview.

Yeah, for sure I totally agree with you guys, I honestly just wanted to do my intro which I'm getting to do now... it's been a good way to get to know the kids, and since I'm only based at one school, that's something that I feel is important. He actually just came to talk to me and told me he scheduled me literally because his third year class I had for communications yesterday told him they really wanted me in class haha. So after this to be honest, I'm not exactly expecting much more time in that particular class.

Shink was on the right track in the humility route. There was something I read somewhere, maybe here, stating bonds form more quickly when you ask someone for favors. Bit of mind trickery.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Weep, honestly I wouldn't have even worried about the intro. I mean, you won't likely see these third years again, and they have bigger concerns in their life than you. I did my intro to my third years (SHS) when I came, and I don't remember a single student from that time, nor do any of the returnees from that year remember me. It's just how it goes in the first rotation.

Also, Your 25 minutes / 50 minutes of intro is taking time out of the hands of the students that could be better used learning ALL THE SHIT they didn't learn in the last two years of school, which is basically everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    taking time out of the hands of the students that could be better used learning ALL THE SHIT they didn't learn in the last two years of school
    Sure, and we could give them all free ice cream and a unicorn to ride to school.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Sure, and we could give them all free ice cream and a unicorn to ride to school.
    I didn't say they were actually going to learn the shit, but it'S the thought that counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

so you see the 3rd grade in communications class? Why do you need to go see them in their grammar classes as well? Teach them in communications class, talk with them outside of class and leave captain grumpy pants to hash through the textbook on his own.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I wanted to do my intro for them because the other classes had fun with it, and now I am getting to do it. Communications is separate so they don't get an intro lesson, just me doing demos on speech contest stuff lol.

Gizmo, I will see my 3rd years on the reg because of their communications class... just thought it'd be nice to do the intro lesson for them which again, I am getting to do because the third years apparently bugged their English teacher about it. I hadn't even breached the topic with him yet. Well they have to do a review sheet in English about it, so maybe that'll make up for the 2 years of shit they didn't learn. :P

So it's totally not even a big deal, it worked out, and I acknowledge that I may not ever teach in the 3rd year English class again and it's okay because I'll see them in communications. Everything... is chill.

Your 3rd years haven't had their souls crushed yet? I am shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    He's the 3rd year teacher, and I've heard from a couple of my preds that he just doesn't like to work with the ALTs and they don't really know why, but all they can really guess is he's taking their exams
    3rd year 中学生 is really tough on students with testing, so this may very well be the situation. The students are stressing for high school placement tests, so conversation skills are tertiary.

I also recommend talking to him, even if it's with a 3rd party to translate E-J. His students might be too busy, but you can always establish a good relationship with the teacher himself.

My 2nd suggestion, and this is 1000% times easier: Get a hold of some sweets/snacks and put them on his desk when he's gone, write a note that says some nice introductory things (in Japanese is better IMO), and include the phrase "if you need help grading any papers, or anything else, I'm always happy to help."

Quote Originally Posted by Torinn88 View Post
    My 2nd suggestion, and this is 1000% times easier: Get a hold of some sweets/snacks and put them on his desk when he's gone, write a note that says some nice introductory things (in Japanese is better IMO), and include the phrase "if you need help grading any papers, or anything else, I'm always happy to help."
    Nice, I love this idea. I still need to give out omiyage to my JTEs so I'll include a note like that with it. Thanks!

make sure hes not allergic to anything in your omiyage or he might interpret your chocolate covered peanuts and hand written note as some sort of death threat.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.