Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Advice: Trying to figure out who would make the best references

Default Re: Seeking Advice: Trying to figure out who would make the best references

#1 sounds great. You sound like you're pretty set on picking him. I'm not going to try to change your mind.

That said, if you end up choosing #1, think about your background and your experiences with which he doesn't have a direct relationship. For the second letter writer, pick the person who knows more about that. That way there is a balance between your recommendation letters.

I think the recommendations against picking #1 is because the way you described this person. This person sounds far too personal to write an objective recommendation letter for a professional program.
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

Default Re: Seeking Advice: Trying to figure out who would make the best references

Quote Originally Posted by jiggit
    Everyone's told you not to go with #1 and you've asked like 5 times. I don't know what else you're expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggit

Edit: Alright, keep it civil in applying, please.

Yeah, you are right and I'm sorry for that. He's just already written me a recommendation and so I suppose I was looking for some more people to offer support for him. :P Also, because I have been unable to reach my academic references.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    #1 sounds great. You sound like you're pretty set on picking him. I'm not going to try to change your mind.

That said, if you end up choosing #1, think about your background and your experiences with which he doesn't have a direct relationship. For the second letter writer, pick the person who knows more about that. That way there is a balance between your recommendation letters.

I think the recommendations against picking #1 is because the way you described this person. This person sounds far too personal to write an objective recommendation letter for a professional program.
    I really like your advice! While I may still be on the fence between fully committing to #1 being a reference, #2 (my manager of 3.5 years) knows me better than any professor and said he is happy to write a letter.

I am not very familiar with how the applications change each year but I could have sworn that last year instead of an actual letter, JET asked for references to fill out something of a questionnaire? Whereas this year it looks like they are looking for a letter. Is this correct? Or maybe they are updating the site later with another question sheet?

No, that's not correct - last year was also letters, at least in the US, where I applied from. I suppose it could be different in other countries, but I've never heard of anywhere that had questionnaires instead of letters of recommendation.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saga View Post
    No, that's not correct - last year was also letters, at least in the US, where I applied from. I suppose it could be different in other countries, but I've never heard of anywhere that had questionnaires instead of letters of recommendation.
    Though you gotta admit, that would expedite the process.

Just have every multiple choice run through a machine and anyone with a low score is automatically rejected.

No reason to check their files.

Cover sheets are provided. They're expected to fill out the cover and write the letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Though you gotta admit, that would expedite the process.

Just have every multiple choice run through a machine and anyone with a low score is automatically rejected.

No reason to check their files.
    Ahhaha I must have wrote my message incorrectly. I was only aware of the cover sheet that must be filled in. I didn't think that references were expected to fill in a multiple choice sheet. xD

Anywho, thank you everyone for your comments. I just want the online application to become available now!!!