Thread: URGENT: Lost IDP and Freaking Out

Default URGENT: Lost IDP and Freaking Out

Hey guys, I'm sort of panicking because for the life of me, I cannot find my International Drivers' Permit (IDP). I noticed today during lunch that it wasn't in my purse. The bad part is that I can't remember exactly the last time I saw it either. I want to say it was on Friday (but I have had not any reason to take it out of my purse). I've tried looking for information on what to do if you have lost an IDP and I can't find ANYTHING (even AAA isn't giving me shit). The problem is that I *MUST* drive where I live. All of my schools are 20-30 minutes away from the BoE and not near any public transportation. I haven't told my supervisor yet because I'm scared that I might lose my job. My supervisor and I did make a photocopy of my IDP earlier in the year but I'm 99% sure that won't be good enough. Please, I know ITIL can be full of snark but this is serious and I'm freaking out. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: URGENT: Lost IDP and Freaking Out

hmmmmm, according to this there is no system of re-issuing lost licenses. 国外運転免許証(国際運転免許証)の申請手続き Better go home and get a new one or hurry up and pass your Japanese driving test. You wont get fired for losing your IDP but you definitely will get fired for driving illegally so dont go out in the car until you find it. Contact your supervisor, start applying for a Japanese license, buy a bike/budget for some taxis and tear your house apart looking for your IDP.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

You're not going to lose your job, but legally you should probably tell your supervisor, and stop driving. Somebody may pick you up for the time being. My guess is they'll just have somebody from a city office grab a city car and pick you up super early. You may get charged for gas but you'd pay anyway. Or you may have to find rides.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to drive, like your BOE tells you they won't help, they'll only fire you, keep the copy of the IDP with you and make a copy of it.

Try to get in touch with the person who issued your permit, or at least the office. Send them a PDF of your permit, with the authorization, like a signature or stamp or something from them. They may reissue it.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; September 7th, 2015 at 21:34.
    車庫 B1F

Also, if you do go through with telling your supe, maybe you can talk to the police. Depending on the size of your town, they may tell you you're OK as long as you stay in town. They may have received it in the mail or had it dropped off too, if you're in a city big enough for people to not know you.
    車庫 B1F

Wow, +1 ITIL. People always talk shit, but good job guys. Great advice. The important thing is to CALM DOWN. Think clearly and logically, you'll be ok!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Did you check if you lost any other cards?

Or have you used any recently?

I would imagine you have a small wallet section in your purse with all your cards. (or a smaller wallet)

In that case, perhaps you used one of them and accidentally dropped both (or just the one).
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; September 7th, 2015 at 22:54.

Idp is a giant slab of cardboard....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

12 by 16
    車庫 B1F

Yeah, the IDP is a cardboard booklet. Which makes it all the more frustrating on how the hell I misplaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Also, if you do go through with telling your supe, maybe you can talk to the police. Depending on the size of your town, they may tell you you're OK as long as you stay in town. They may have received it in the mail or had it dropped off too, if you're in a city big enough for people to not know you.
    I doubt they'd let you drive, but definitely ask at your local police box. Things get turned in to them all the time.

Very doubtful indeed, but not unquestionable if she's in a village of a few hundred people.
    車庫 B1F

Oh no!
    I hope you find it soon!

For future reference, since I don't drive any other vehicles, I just keep my IDP in my car so I don't forget it or lose it (I too have a driving-only placement).