Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: HyperDia

  1. #1
    Member enlight85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default HyperDia

    I was so happy to see that HyperDia offers English support for getting round on the trains here in Japan! The only downside being that they charge double for that English version after the trial period is up.

    Oh, their website still conducts free searches in English too. I guess that works the same.

    Question; are there any other apps or sites you use to navigate trains and bus systems here in Japan? I cannot yet read-a-the Japanese...

    How long did it take you to take the stabilisers off your bike and just start reading the slightly ambiguous rail signs?

  2. #2
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: HyperDia

    google maps.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  3. #3

    Default Re: HyperDia

    /thread

  4. #4
    Member enlight85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Or is it?!

    When I use Google Maps and it calibrates were I am, it just spins around lots and lots and never gets a grip on my location so it's useless as a 'find destination' tool for me.

    Oh wait, it tells me the price of trains and buses on the static maps... Who knew!

    /thread

  5. #5
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Get a better phone
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  6. #6
    Member enlight85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Glad to see you back.

  7. #7

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Reeeow!

  8. #8

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Hypedia is bull shit, don't trust it... I only say this because I tried to use it to get a route to Fukuoka and it literally told me take a train to the other side of the country because it couldn't comprehend that there were 2 cities of the same name and got confused.... I figured it out because I looked up the line, but just sayin'. That could have been a terrible surprise if I didn't bother researching. Don't taking its word for everything.

  9. #9

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Huh, when I lived in Osaka it would give me this really crazy route to Kyoto that involved taking the shink to Fukuoka and then flying to Osaka and then taking a shink to Kyoto.

    Other than that route alone I've never had issues with it not understanding where I meant to leave from.

  10. #10

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Huh, when I lived in Osaka it would give me this really crazy route to Kyoto that involved taking the shink to Fukuoka and then flying to Osaka and then taking a shink to Kyoto.

    Other than that route alone I've never had issues with it not understanding where I meant to leave from.
    Lol no this was a legit mistake. I was looking up trains to Fukuoka and it says you can get there by taking the Thunderbird to Kanazawa then connect to Fukuoka... only problem is, the thunderbird to Kanazawa.... goes up west. Maybe there's a Kanazawa down in Kyushu as well and it got confused? The only reason I realized is because there's a stop that goes through Fukui which is the opposite way lol. And then I looked up Kanazawa and realized it was on the opposite side of the country! If you literally go to Hyperdia right now and type in Osaka to Fukuoka it should do the same thing.

    So warning, despite what Hyperdia tries to say there is no limited express that'll get you from Osaka to Fukuoka... just shinkansen or by plane. :P
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 15th, 2015 at 15:12.

  11. #11

    Default Re: HyperDia

    I'm guessing my problem was that I lived in a town near a stop that exists around Fukuoka as well, because honestly that did very frequently throw me for a loop. There was no way it should take me upwards of 8 hours to get to Kyoto when I lived 90 minutes away on a slow train.

  12. #12
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Actually plane. It's way cheaper and faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  13. #13

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Yeah, I'm flying and saving like ~70$.

    Edit: But if that limited express wasn't a terrible lie I would have saved a hell of a lot more lol...
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 15th, 2015 at 15:18.

  14. #14

    Default Re: HyperDia

    One of my friends recommends Ekikara, but I don't suppose it spoon feeds you anything.

  15. #15

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Lol no this was a legit mistake. I was looking up trains to Fukuoka and it says you can get there by taking the Thunderbird to Kanazawa then connect to Fukuoka... only problem is, the thunderbird to Kanazawa.... goes up west. Maybe there's a Kanazawa down in Kyushu as well and it got confused? The only reason I realized is because there's a stop that goes through Fukui which is the opposite way lol. And then I looked up Kanazawa and realized it was on the opposite side of the country! If you literally go to Hyperdia right now and type in Osaka to Fukuoka it should do the same thing.

    So warning, despite what Hyperdia tries to say there is no limited express that'll get you from Osaka to Fukuoka... just shinkansen or by plane. :P
    Hyperdia uses names of stations, not cities, and there actually isn't a Fukuoka Station in Fukuoka. The one on Hyperdia is labeled Fukuoka (Toyama). If you know what station you want to go to, Hyperdia is very useful, but if you don't then I can see how it can lead to confusion.

  16. #16
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    Hyperdia uses names of stations, not cities, and there actually isn't a Fukuoka Station in Fukuoka. The one on Hyperdia is labeled Fukuoka (Toyama). If you know what station you want to go to, Hyperdia is very useful, but if you don't then I can see how it can lead to confusion.
    Yeah. If you're going by JR you have to know you need to go to 'Hakata' station. Fukuoka station in Fukuoka is a private rail, and to get it in Hyperdia you have to actually put 'Nishitetsufukuoka'

    In't that special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  17. #17

    Default Re: HyperDia

    Oh jesus christ. Okay I got it lol. I didn't realize that was the prefecture.
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 16th, 2015 at 13:51.

  18. #18
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: HyperDia

    It's actually pretty nebulous what we actually call Fukuoka City. Maybe the locals get it... I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    satan's armpit
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: HyperDia

    When Hyperdia fails, I usually go to Jorudan. Google maps has also given me meh results (yay for being in super inaka)

  20. #20
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: HyperDia

    super inaka? if you arent in tokyo why on earth are you getting a train? just drive.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •