Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unavoidable JTE mistakes

Default Re: Unavoidable JTE mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I'm going to be relatively blunt here.

I don't take anyone's pov at face value, particularly here, because it is only from one perspective in a fairly complex system. I doubly doubt your perspective to be entirely fair, since everybody in the first few months feels like the Eigo Messiah. Looking at your post history, you've been here a month and already had a JTE ignoring Meeeeeeee and the World's Worst translating JTE. Classes have been in session for 2 weeks.

And like I keep saying, it's not about a matter of me being able to suss out the meaning. It's me trying to figure out how to do it without offending her/making her look like an idiot in classes.

I believe she is making mistakes. She is an ESL speaker and has had to edit a lot of speeches. That eraser bit certainly isn't great, but in a few weeks you'll suss out the meaning very quickly. I believe that you are likely capable of correcting the mistakes she makes. Her mistakes may be heinous occasionally, but really you need to flex your editing-on-the-fly muscles anyway. This won't be the last time you need them.

Ini made a very valid observation, and one that will help you save face at the contest itself. patjs' suggestion is also good, but might be difficult for you to pull off as you still don't know who these people are or how they'll react. (Like I said, you have no idea how hard this new woman has it.)

Take yourself out of the equation, look at what really needs to happen. Is winning this battle in this way really worth the war? You don't know your kids yet, you barely know any of your JTEs.
    Dude, every time I post anything on this site you're quick to attack and I don't know why... and then you sit there and say 'Oh you should be taking this person's advice'... that's exactly what I'm doing without your input! Why do you think I get a little ruffled when I respond to your stuff? I'm new, I'm struggling and I need advice. I readily admit that and that's exactly why I post questions here... sorry if I don't do it in a format that you prefer, but the point is, I'm reaching out and I'm getting some really good advice from it.

Like thanks for pointing out that Ini and Patsj had good advice... that's exactly why I responded to them saying I'd take it. That's exactly why I posted this question... because I'm inexperienced and frustrated and I wanted some advice. I've been in school for a month now, and I work with this teacher 2-3 classes a day. Since the same exact situation has been happening every day in every single class for a month, I decided to seek advice on it. I'm not looking for sass about the validity of my situation, I'm looking for actual advice. After I filter through all your sourness, that's exactly what people are giving me... I can take their advice without your reiterating the same thing in a saltier way.
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 17th, 2015 at 10:09.

+1 for weepinbell

This is, believe it or not, a JET ALT forum. What may come as no surprise to the seasoned ALT, a new ALT would be shocked at. That's why this forum exists. To ask questions to the veteran teachers for input. It does no one any good bitching about new people asking questions because that is what they do. We can provide help or whine about the people who need it. If we're going to be a constructive forum we should forego bemoaning the state of ALTing these days and remember that people every year have the same issues.

If you'd take the time to read what I said instead of rushing to respond, this might go better.

TL;DR version:

You're panicking too soon and trying to react without taking the time to see what's going on.

Just watch and fix what you can as it comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    +1 for weepinbell

This is, believe it or not, a JET ALT forum. What may come as no surprise to the seasoned ALT, a new ALT would be shocked at. That's why this forum exists. To ask questions to the veteran teachers for input. It does no one any good bitching about new people asking questions because that is what they do. We can provide help or whine about the people who need it. If we're going to be a constructive forum we should forego bemoaning the state of ALTing these days and remember that people every year have the same issues.
    Don't think I said anything about questions. Questions are good.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

If you'd take the time to read what I said instead of rushing to respond, this might go better.

TL;DR version:

You're panicking too soon and trying to react without taking the time to see what's going on.

See, that's advice. Telling weepinbell that you think she's a liar with extreme bias is not constructive. There's a different.

Yes yes but what I want to know is can I use my american iphone in Japan if I buy a 3rd party sim card??????
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

See, that's advice. Telling weepinbell that you think she's a liar with extreme bias is not constructive. There's a different.
    She is biased. So are you. So am I.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Yes yes but what I want to know is can I use my american iphone in Japan if I buy a 3rd party sim card??????
    Ini getting to the heart of it all.

She is biased. So are you. So am I.
    No I'm not.

The biggest issue I see coming out of this thread is why the hell is everyone working with young female JTEs except me?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

There's a different.
    Damnit, she has gone native.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Damnit, she has gone native.
    That seems very fine to me.

Also what happened to being the embracer of English mistakes?

That seems very fine to me.

Also what happened to being the embracer of English mistakes?
    I think you meant 'be the embracing of English mistakes'
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Virgirl gives me energy

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    The biggest issue I see coming out of this thread is why the hell is everyone working with young female JTEs except me?
    I suspect that's planned.

discrimination! I was cleared of all charges!

TL;DR version:

See, that's what you should have said from the start instead of dancing around the issue by trying to make me feel like an idiot who doesn't know what the hell is going on. Obviously I'm an idiot who doesn't know what's going on, I haven't even lived in this country for 2 months. Let's skip the formalities next time and get to the real advice and we will be golden~

But the formalities make our epeens swell ;(
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    See, that's what you should have said from the start instead of dancing around the issue by trying to make me feel like an idiot who doesn't know what the hell is going on. Obviously I'm an idiot who doesn't know what's going on, I haven't even lived in this country for 2 months. Let's skip the formalities next time and get to the real advice and we will be golden~
    I framed it that way because you framed it that way. I told you what others were experiencing because you didn't know. I told you rocking the boat too soon could cause you major problems.

I may not be tactful, but I'm not intentionally cruel, and if you are reading anything I wrote as such, that's due to your point of view.

U da real mvp.

Ahh, the old "I'm sorry you felt that way about what I said," number #12 on the "things assholes say to push blame onto others" list of useful phrases.

Ahh, the old "I'm sorry you felt that way about what I said," number #12 on the "things assholes say to push blame onto others" list of useful phrases.
    I didn't apologize.

I think we're moving out of teaching territory here. I think a thread split is in order.

U da real mvp.