Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unavoidable JTE mistakes

Default Re: Unavoidable JTE mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Ahh, the old "I'm sorry you felt that way about what I said," number #12 on the "things assholes say to push blame onto others" list of useful phrases.
    LOL real. Time to move on. Thanks to everyone who left clear advice, I tried some of it out today and I think this situation has the potential to move in a more decent direction... I did manage to get to her to give me some of the third years' translations so I can correct them instead. I played the 'You must be so busy and I have nothing to do, so please let me help you with corrections' card haha... hopefully this can continue. Also threw out the idea of getting one on one time with them to work with them and she said she'd think about it... we'll see. In class I tried to get to the kids who had comprehension questions first so she didn't feed them nonsensical stuff (obviously still happened and on the board no less, so I couldn't even try to help that), and the ones I did turned out well. Didn't have any 1st year classes today, so we'll see what happens when we're back to school. That's the one that's gonna be rough since I'll be trying to discreetly correct HER translations... ugh.

Also asked if I could get it on helping with the speech competition kids. She said yes, so hopefully that'll result in me being able to correct all that shit. Though for the 3rd years, she's using a native English speaker... and actually maybe for the 2nd years as well. Is that cheating? Hahaha. In any case, at least they'll make her look good at the competition so at this point, that's all we can really hope for anyway.
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 17th, 2015 at 16:08.

where is this "one on one time" going to come from?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    where is this "one on one time" going to come from?
    We do this thing in her classes while the kids are working on speeches where they come out into the hallways in pairs and literally just talk to me in English for a few minutes. I suggested after we're done with that, maybe we can continue the same type of activity except more focused on them performing their speeches for me/asking questions and then I can give them advice/correct some stuff. We're gonna be doing this format until speeches are over in November... I figure there are only so many times a kid can ask me 'What's your favorite Japanese food?' before it gets repetitive....
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 17th, 2015 at 16:31.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Your gonna be in for a ride surprise in a couple of months when you realize ALL the question are repetitive because the vocab in the book is useless for building any real communication at all.

I'm gonna vote with util and suggest that you ask the jte if you can just observe for a couple of days/weeks to get a feel how the jte does normal classes without you there. It might help you offer productive advice/understand better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Your gonna be in for a ride surprise in a couple of months when you realize ALL the question are repetitive because the vocab in the book is useless for building any real communication at all.

I'm gonna vote with util and suggest that you ask the jte if you can just observe for a couple of days/weeks to get a feel how the jte does normal classes without you there. It might help you offer productive advice/understand better.
    To be fair, she doesn't use the book in this class so that's a moot point... y'all with the assumptions today, yikes.

Either way, I think my questions have been answered. I met with my pred who still works here who has been ALTing for 8 years... she basically used to have him plan all the lessons lol. She's never taught before either. Last year SHE was an assistant teacher and she doesn't have an education background.

So now that my pred's not there anymore, she's using an English activity book and picking out a random exercise to have them do for a warmup that has nothing to do with the things they are learning/already have learned in class. Basically he advised to really push helping her with translations and offer up activities that have the target language of what they're learning/have learned in their English classes.

Also, she's never done the speech stuff before... a different JTE at my school did and my pred helped her. For first years, they had an outline to work from. Obviously it's too late to do that now, so he basically said just to fix what I can and now that I know the situation, don't be afraid to be a little more direct about offering help/corrections.
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 17th, 2015 at 18:50.

Weebinhell, do you have any teaching experience? Even though she's new, and not very good at English, I'd still tread carefully. She's still senior to you and you're still new to the Japanese work culture. Also, that she's new there makes it likely she will be there next year. Don't want to accidentally make enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Weebinhell, do you have any teaching experience? Even though she's new, and not very good at English, I'd still tread carefully. She's still senior to you and you're still new to the Japanese work culture. Also, that she's new there makes it likely she will be there next year. Don't want to accidentally make enemies.
    Oh no, I'm not claiming to have any and I agree with you. She's new as a teacher, but this is her second year at the school. First year was as an assistant.

I'm definitely not planning on confronting her about anything that's happened up until now. At this point, I'm just trying to make it clear to her that I'm available to help with translations any time and assist with/help prepare activities. I think mostly she has no idea what to do with me since we're more like peers in age/experience (obviously not in the school hierarchy) and my pred was way more experienced than both of us, so she was able to rely on him a lot. I'm glad I was able to meet with him because now I have a better understanding of what's going on.

We're planning an activity together for next class though and she gave me a bunch of stuff to correct from students, it's a small step but a good one I think. So far, we haven't discussed anything before going to classes, I just go with her and play by ear. I'm hoping if she knows I've got her back, we can start communicating more and planning some more stuff together... more communication will probably equal less confusion for everyone in the long run. We definitely get along, but I think we're just both really confused about how to work with each other when it comes to our lessons. Hopefully if she knows she can trust me, it'll start to show in our classes.
    Last edited by weepinbell; September 17th, 2015 at 20:53.

Sounds good. Gain their trust then murd... er, take a more meaningful role in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Patsj yeah I have a really good relationship with 2 of my other JTESs and I was actually thinking of doing that... But I didn't wanna make it sound like I was throwing her under the bus either. Any tips on how to bring it up if it comes to that?
    I'm a little late but actually others brought up a good point that you also don't know the other JTEs too well yet. It might be best to wait a bit more and build relationships, but when you do need to talk to them I suggest doing it out of school at an enkai or some kind of dinner/lunch situation if you have the opportunity.

I always found that in the course of normal conversations the topic you want to talk about will eventually come up somehow and you can gently hint at some frustrations. I can't tell you exactly what to say...but if you make friends with teachers older than this JTE that have your back you may find they take care of things for you.