Thread: Question about New Job After ALT & Pension

Default Question about New Job After ALT & Pension

Hi everyone,

I have a question that has been nagging me for a while now and I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I'm 27 now, and started working for Interac when I was 23--this was also the first year I started to live in Japan full time. I quit my job at Interac a year and a half ago and now working at a normal Japanese company, and like most Japanese companies they take pension/nenkin out of your paycheck automatically each month. When I worked at Interac no one told me I had to sign up for nenkin, so obviously I did not. However, when I started working for this new company, upon signing up for nenkin, I get a letter in the mail telling me to pay up for all my un-paid nenkin since I was 20.

I entered the country at 23, so obviously I shouldn't have to pay for that period, but with Interac should I really had been paying nenkin? Or is the Interac pay too low to qualify for nenkin? Any way, is there a process to get this sorted out so I don't have some weird dept to the government hanging over my head?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Question about New Job After ALT & Pension

For this one, I think you should sit down with a lawyer.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    For this one, I think you should sit down with a lawyer.
    Word. Or at least someone you know who can really back you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Its not a big deal. Anyone who has been here a while gets these letters. If you are intending to stay here until you retire and plan on drawing your pension then its probably in your best interest to pay the missing years but if you're not you can ignore it.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I've heard of this with one ALT who went private hire after a couple years with Interac. AFAIK he was told to pay up if he ever wanted to get money out of it.

Seems kind of weird. Do you lose the ability to get back what you've paid into pension after so many years? You can only get that back if you pay back years for time you haven't even lived/worked in Japan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Seems kind of weird. Do you lose the ability to get back what you've paid into pension after so many years? You can only get that back if you pay back years for time you haven't even lived/worked in Japan?
    No, but if you're from the US, you can only get (the first, IIRC) three years of contributions out if you leave the country. Other countries with compatible systems work differently - IIRC Canadians get the full equivalent transferable to the Canadian system.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Ya, I got one of those letters for the 3 day month I was in the country before I started "officially" working for my employer. I have heard conflicting things about it, but I strongly suspect Ini is right. I'd try and find an accountant with some familiarity with the pension system to help you negotiate it. Your current employer might be able to recommend someone if you explain your situation correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

You can claim back the last 3 years so if you want to claim a pension refund just work for your new company for 3 years and put all that unpleasant interact business behind you where it belongs.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.