Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Dumb Japanese language questions!

  1. #21
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,291

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
    if you're willing to set your own learning structure and keep to it.
    Oh my god. Why don't you just ask me to turn water to wine while you're at it?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Oh my god. Why don't you just ask me to turn water to wine while you're at it?
    Can you? That would be quite the skill to learn. Probably more fruitful in the long run...

  3. #23

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Confused, again.

    In a grammar point regarding adjectives, they state:

    When explaining in detail what kind of person or thing someone or something is, いadjective, なadjective or [noun + "の"] are placed in front of the noun they modify.
    When modifying a noun with a なadjective, the adjective is placed before the noun and "な" is added as a suffix to the adjective.
    When modifying a noun with another noun, "の" is added to the end of the noun that is to be used as a modifier.
    いA  + 名詞(めいし)(meishi)
    なAな + 名詞(めいし)(meishi)
    Nの  + 名詞(めいし)(meishi)
    Then a little later on a "BE CAREFUL" page, it says:

    Do not add "の" to the end of an いadjective or なadjective.
    Then the example they give is:

    きれい くつ です。 ⇒ ○ きれい くつ です。
    Kirei no kutsu desu.  ⇒ ○ Kireina kutsu desu.

    I'm confused because they said:

    When modifying a noun with a なadjective, the adjective is placed before the noun and "な" is added as a suffix to the adjective.
    But surely きれい is an いadjective, not a なadjective? Am I just being dumb?

  4. #24
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,291

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Kirei is a な adjective. Just because it ends in い doesn't mean it's an い adjective.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Kirei is a な adjective. Just because it ends in い doesn't mean it's an い adjective.
    Well shit! I think I need to take a closer look at な and い adjectives...

  6. #26
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,063

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Ya. That's a memorisation problem for ya, you'll have to get the base adjectives down.

    Once you start getting to more complex adjectives they become clearer, especially when they're mostly kanji based vs hiragana based.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  7. #27
    Crustacean Sensation Ebi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Well shit! I think I need to take a closer look at な and い adjectives...
    Well the good news is that きれい is probably the only super common adjective I can think of that ends with い but isn't an い adjective.

    Also, if kirei is written in kanji it becomes obvious that it's a な adj. since there's no "extra" い on the end: 綺麗
    Compare this to い adjectives which always have okurigana: 寒い、 高い、可愛い、忙しい

    Kanji makes Japanese a lot easier to read once you know enough of them. Then again, often words with really complicated kanji like きれい are written in hiragana or katakana, especially if the target audience is JHS or below.
    Last edited by Ebi; October 9th, 2015 at 08:06.

  8. #28
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Well the good news is that きれい is probably the only super common adjective I can think of that ends with い but isn't an い adjective.

    Also, if kirei is written in kanji it becomes obvious that it's a な adj. since there's no "extra" い on the end: 綺麗
    Compare this to い adjectives which always have okurigana: 寒い、 高い、可愛い、忙しい

    Kanji makes Japanese a lot easier to read once you know enough of them. Then again, often words with really complicated kanji like きれい are written in hiragana or katakana, especially if the target audience is JHS or below.
    Yeah, I haven't studied Japanese formally for very long, but I started learning Kanji the day I flew to Japan. Without a doubt, the language just makes more sense if you have some strength with kanji. It makes vocabulary learning way easier, and vica versa. If you learn some vocab in your daily life, it will make some kanji more readily available for memorization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Just passed the test for Volume 1! Was only 7 questions long? lol

  10. #30

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Just passed the test for Volume 1! Was only 7 questions long? lol
    CLAIR's course? I think the tests for the old "advanced course" were only like 20 questions or less. Although they had a bit of a writing section for some of them.

  11. #31
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Just passed the test for Volume 1! Was only 7 questions long? lol

    Yeah, I already don't have a lot of faith in this course :\
    Between the time I signed up for the damn thing and it actually starting I have learned far more than what it is covering.

    It seems to be better than before at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Between the time I signed up for the damn thing and it actually starting I have learned far more than what it is covering.
    Saaame. I actually started studying in August when I had very little to do before classes, and I already covered what they were teaching. I didn't want to wait 2 months to see what the course offered..

  13. #33
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Is there anyway to improve your grammar that isn't dreadfully boring?

  14. #34
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,063

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Is there anyway to improve your grammar that isn't dreadfully boring?
    20 minutes of study and 2 hours of drinking at the bar trying it with Japanese people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  15. #35
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    drinking at the bar trying it with Japanese people.
    I've learned so much (and made quite a few good friends) this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    I ordered a sofa online and I just got this email:

    ご注文ありがとうございました。
    発送の準備行いまして、追って送り状番号等
    再度ご連絡させていただきます。
    取り急ぎお礼のご連絡させていただきました。
    ありがとうございました。

    配送状況につきまして
    詳しい配送状況につきましては弊社ではわかりかねます為、
    直接配達店へご連絡をお願い致します。
    配送会社・伝票番号等につきましては、出荷通知にてご連絡させて頂きます。


    ※領収書・請求書・納品書について
     弊社では領収書・請求書・納品書の発行は致しません。
     ご入用の際はお手数ですがご連絡ください。

    ※(注意) 配達について
    配達指定日時がある場合、余裕をもって発送しておりますが、
    天候・交通状況により遅れる場合がございます。
    予めご了承頂きますようお願い致します。
    また、日曜祝日の配送につきましては、
    指定配送ができかねます。
    何卒ご理解くださいます様お願い致します。


    ?配送が完了後にお荷物伝票番号をお知らせするメールを ?お送りさせていただきます。 ?しばらくお待ちくださいませ。
    ?==============================
    今回ご注文いただいた内容につきまして間違いがないかご確認ください。
    [日時]2015/10/17 15:15:15
    [支払方法] Amazon決済
    [ポイント利用方法]
    [配送方法]
    [備考] 出荷予定日:2015-10-20 から 2015-10-21 配送予定     :2015-10-21 から 2015-10-25
    I used "excite" translator (I feel like it's better than Google) and I got this:

    Thank you very much for your order.
    Preparations of shipping off are performed, and it's for the invoice number later.
    I'll contact you once again.
    Of hasty fee, I contacted you.
    Thank you very much.

    About the delivery situation.
    Because it can't be understood in our company about the detailed delivery situation.
    Please contact a delivery store directly.
    I'll inform you of delivery firms and the sales slip numbers, etc. in shipment notice.


    ※ About a receipt, a bill and a statement of delivery.
    A receipt, a bill and a statement of delivery aren't issued in our company.
    When being necessary, it's trouble, but please make a contact.

    ※ (Attention) about a delivery.
    When there are delivery designation date and time, I have a plenty of leeway and ship it off.
    I'm sometimes late by the weather and traffic circumstances.
    I would like to ask you to accept it beforehand.
    About a delivery in a holiday Sunday
    A designation delivery can't be done.
    I would like to ask you to understand.


    ? The mail which a delivery will inform of the baggage sales slip number after completion? I'll send. ? Please wait a moment.
    ?==============================
    Please confirm whether it's without mistakes about the contents you ordered this time.
    [The date and time] 2015/10/17 15:15:15
    [Method of payment] Amazon settlement
    [Point procedures]
    [Delivery method]
    [Note] shipment due date: From 2015-10-20 2015-10-21 It's expected to deliver: From 2015-10-21 2015-10-25.
    Am I right in thinking I'm going to get another email regarding what to do to arrange delivery? Do I need to do anything else besides wait for an email?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Dumb Japanese language questions!

    Looks to me like you don't need to do anything else for now. Besides, based on this, they haven't told you what company they'll use to send the whatever yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •