Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Australian JETs 2016

Default Aspiring Australian JETs 2016

Hello!

Any Australians applying this year? This is my first time applying, so I'm pretty nervous!
    Last edited by CherryChieri; October 7th, 2015 at 07:13.

Default Re: Aspiring Australian JETs 2016

Hey! Haha I literally created an account so I could make this thread.

First time applying, but I feel like the last three years of uni have been leading up to this point. I have spent so long thinking about this, or other ways to go to Japan.

Good luck to you! Where are you from? I live in Sydney myself.

Haha same!

I'm just a bit out of Melbourne

I've looked into a few other programs, but I think I like JET best. Hopefully I get in, otherwise it's like I wasted a year...

G'day, I got into the JET Programme this year so feel free to ask me questions (though SOP reviews should go in the stickied post)

Cheers

Went to an info session last night, wasn't hugely informative, but it was nice to hear experience from past JETs. Interesting to see how many came along and didn't really get what JET was either.

Just gotta get my references and do my SOP and I'm good to go!

Last year in Melbourne we had one really good CIR show off a presentation of not just her experiences but her basic duties. Then we had some crappy ALT who seemed nostalgic as fuck and just showed us photos of his adventures. Zero information from that slacker.
    Last edited by Pup; October 24th, 2015 at 08:21.

Guess we had different people lol Our CIR was pretty good, but he came back ten years ago, so he'd forgotten some things and stuff has changed a bit since then. The ALT wasn't too bad but it was more what she could do outside of the classroom (she helped with speaking contests etc iirc). The video they showed was good as it featured actual duties, which is kinda a big thing to talk about lmao

Hey hey. I'm from Adelaide. Had my info session yesterday. Pretty keen to go now. Very confused about location preferences. Also i know buggar all Japanese...

Quote Originally Posted by starxrox View Post
    Very confused about location preferences.
    Most JETs will say that location preferences are pretty much useless - you get what they give you. If your lucky, you'll win the lottery and get a placement in a location you request or close to it.

Hi there!

Try and pick somewhere you like/find interesting in case you get what you want. Don't put too much stock in it though. (unless you can back it up with knowing people in that city/prefecture, and even then it's a gamble)

I was tempted to just get a map and throw darts at it tbh lol

You should look up if your area has sister cities/towns in Japan. You can use that as a reason for a placement request and if placed in a sister city/town you might be involved in stuff like exchanges or goodwill visits with the area you came from.

Quote Originally Posted by thecatalyst View Post
    Hey! Haha I literally created an account so I could make this thread.

First time applying, but I feel like the last three years of uni have been leading up to this point. I have spent so long thinking about this, or other ways to go to Japan.

Good luck to you! Where are you from? I live in Sydney myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryChieri View Post
    Haha same!

I'm just a bit out of Melbourne

I've looked into a few other programs, but I think I like JET best. Hopefully I get in, otherwise it's like I wasted a year...
    That's what I did too :P

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    You should look up if your area has sister cities/towns in Japan. You can use that as a reason for a placement request and if placed in a sister city/town you might be involved in stuff like exchanges or goodwill visits with the area you came from.
    Good advice. One of the tentative prefectures I've chose is based on sister cities, but I might change it (because I know very little about it).

Currently working on my SOP. Also need to get my Certificate of Health as I plan to go for the April placement.

Side note: they really don't give a lot of room for the teaching background section of the application forms...

I'm hesitant to list preferences because I don't know if my reasons will hold up, and I feel like they don't matter anyway. But on that topic, are there any placements you would say no to? At first I thought anything non-Honshu would be a deal breaker for me, but after visiting Hokkaido last year I would totally not mind. Okinawa could also be really amazing.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If your reasons don't hold up, they don't hold up. It's not like they will say "because they were a twat at explaining their reasons they can't go to Japan".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Just FYI, my preferences were never even mentioned in the interview and I got my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    If your reasons don't hold up, they don't hold up. It's not like they will say "because they were a twat at explaining their reasons they can't go to Japan".
    That said, I have a feeling my flippant response when asked about why I chose my preferences got me lower marks. Mostly because that was one of the points in the interview when as soon as I said my answer, all three interviewers furiously wrote down notes.

I don't think you need a strong reason, but if they ask don't be like me and say something like "oh, I dunno. I just put them down. I'm happy going anywhere really." (I actually had some legit reasons for my picks, but for some reason I went blank.)

Still, I'm really glad I ended up no where near my preferences.

We were asked to put reasons on the application form. Do they ask at interview as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    We were asked to put reasons on the application form. Do they ask at interview as well?
    Sometimes they do if they can't think of anything else to ask. (Or if all of the preferences fall under one category (urban/rural/suburban).

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Sometimes they do if they can't think of anything else to ask. (Or if all of the preferences fall under one category (urban/rural/suburban).
    We got asked urban, suburban or rural then asked for 3 either cities or prefectures. I put suburban and 3 prefectures on Kyushu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

Sometimes they do ask during the interview. I wasn't asked specifically about the prefectures/areas I requested, but rural, suburban, and urban placements were discussed.
    They told me the chances of being placed urban were small and if I'd be okay with being placed rural.
    I told them that I'm from a rural place the the US and it wouldn't be an issue at all. I then mistakenly told them that I didn't like larger cities anyway and I was asked what would happen were I placed in a large city. I told them with a smile, "Well, then I would find a way to adapt."
    Boom. Shortlisted and placed rural.

Don't worry about your reasoning much. As long as it's not something creepy or demanding, they don't care.

Hell, on the app, my reasoning for Mie prefecture was "It's close to large cities, but far enough away." :/