Thread: Hi Friends on android/ipad possible?

Default Hi Friends on android/ipad possible?

Recently, the English department is starting to discuss use of tablets in class in combination with ezcasts or similar and probably mobile wifi (not allowing wifi in school). One of my teachers wondered if Hi Friends could be installed on tablet and used that way. My initial reaction was no, apart from scanning every page and using those jpegs or pdfs on the tv. Has anyone here tried it and had any luck or not? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Hi Friends on android/ipad possible?

There is an iPad app but it's pretty garbage and needs to be used with the textbooks rather than instead of. If you got windows tablets you could stick the digital textbook software on it but that would be fairly chaotic in a class if everyone was playing the videos and songs on there own device rather than just watching the interactive whiteboard. You could put the pdf version of the book on a tablet but that seems like a waste of time. I use iPads for specific things (presentations, apps for practicing alphabet, phonics etc) but for the day to day hi friends malarkey you are probably best just sticking with the physical books and an interactive whiteboard.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I use iPads for specific things (presentations, apps for practicing alphabet, phonics etc) but for the day to day hi friends malarkey you are probably best just sticking with the physical books and an interactive whiteboard.
    Thanks Ini. Largely the answer I expected. Only the teacher would have the tablet in our classes. We don't have interactive whiteboards in our elementary schools, unfortunately.

After a bit of looking around the internet, I found some info on the Akita Wiki. The software is a bit of a mess and the info I found (three years old) may be out of date.

Nothing's ever easy is it? Think I'll have to stick to the pc port in the back of the tv (hdmi, ha!).

Ohhhhhhhh I thought you meant giving all the kids tablets. If just the teacher has one then there isn't a great deal that can be done that you can't do with just plugging a laptop into a TV.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Ohhhhhhhh I thought you meant giving all the kids tablets. If just the teacher has one then there isn't a great deal that can be done that you can't do with just plugging a laptop into a TV.
    iPads make mighty fine paperweights. They make lesser than good frisbees.

Edit: I ENEGLISH GOOD
    Last edited by Virgil; August 24th, 2015 at 15:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    iPads make mighty fine paperweights. They make lesser that good frisbees.
    Even naming them "Air" doesn't help.

You don't have to scan the files etc. The book and probably 90% of it's assets (including teacher's book stuff) are on the digital textbook disk. Just copy the files...

I think having them available on android/ipad would be a good idea and we should encourage our schools to be more modernized. Perhaps, android would be the best choice (or ugh, a windows tablet) because you can store a huge amount offline data. Because some lessons have the audio like Let's Chant on Hi Friends. I'm not sure about ipad offline storage space. Once schools are equipped with wireless internet connection, teachers have training to know how to use the latest technology, then having android/ipad in the classroom will be very beneficial for the students.