Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class debate topic

Default Class debate topic

Having difficulty thinking up good topics for my HS kids to "debate". Any ideas? I'm looking for something relatively easy to understand that they can all have some opinion about, but that's a little more thought provoking than "should students wear school uniform?"

Default Re: Class debate topic

Is learning English useful?

I don't know where the school is located, so I don't know if they actually have options, but when I had my students debate which of two nearby stations was their favorite, it worked well. Also, kind of the same idea, but which place is best for a school trip worked, but was a little harder for my lower level students.

It requires a bit more skill and effort by the students, but I once had success giving them the choice between the US and Australia as a study abroad destination. If your students are a good level for it you might enjoy hearing "US is danger country" over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Is learning English useful?
    Not bad, but I think that came up in one of their tests already...

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I don't know where the school is located, so I don't know if they actually have options, but when I had my students debate which of two nearby stations was their favorite, it worked well. Also, kind of the same idea, but which place is best for a school trip worked, but was a little harder for my lower level students.

It requires a bit more skill and effort by the students, but I once had success giving them the choice between the US and Australia as a study abroad destination. If your students are a good level for it you might enjoy hearing "US is danger country" over and over again.
    Good ideas, thanks. They're academic, so not too bad, but there's a core of staunch non-participators. I was almost looking for something a tad more confrontational, though all of those would work fine too.

The government is discussing changing age of adulthood to 18. Might be able to make that into a debate topic.

Should the Sea of Japan be renamed?

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Should the Sea of Japan be renamed?
    jiggit would be made a pariah at even the thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Should Japan's male-only succession tradition be changed to allow female rulers?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

They seem pretty invested in sports and clubs, why not have something along the lines of which sport/hobby is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    They seem pretty invested in sports and clubs, why not have something along the lines of which sport/hobby is the best?
    You'd have to be a masochist to willingly subject yourself to that. You'll understand when you experience besuboru karucha firsthand.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

My like sport is soccer. I like soccer. I play soccer. I am exciting. Because soccer is fun.

My like sport is soccer. I like soccer. I play soccer. I am exciting. Because soccer is fun.
    Do you want play soccer?

Let's play soccer with me!

U da real mvp.

Your students are profoundly talented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Mothy is an irl Onizuka Sensei. He holds grammar lessons in kabukicho.

U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It's depressing how accurate mothys answer is.

Never bring sports into a debate.

Here's a Q

"Does Japan have a National Sport that everyone likes?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I only teach JHS, but I got some interesting responses when I gave students a handful of topics to choose from: Tokyo Disney Land vs Tokyo Disney Sea, be allowed to bring phones to school vs no phones, and subtitled movies vs dubbed.

You can probably do more since they're high schoolers, but I was encouraged to pic "fluff" topics because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    You can probably do more since they're high schoolers, but I was encouraged to pic "fluff" topics because Japan.
    Yeah my JTEs are saying the same thing. It's that thing where anything they haven't thought about before is "difficult" and that means it's impossible. Kids have the same attitude of course, even if they can do something and have demonstrated that they can in the past they still break out in a peal of "difficult" when you start talking about something they don't recognise.

It's frustrating because they also get bored with the simple stuff.

talk to their japanese teacher and see if they have done any debates recently in that class. then just set the same topic. That way they will have already thought about their answers and they just need to translate it.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

One that came up again recently is plastic bags. It's in New Horizon, but England just rolled out their 5p plastic bag charge thing, so it adds more international flavor if you center it around that.