Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring UK JETs 2016

Default Aspiring UK JETs 2016

Since the UK application is now open. I thought I would start a thread for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

Default Re: Aspiring UK JETs 2016

On the 17th?! Earlier than last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    On the 17th?! Earlier than last year!
    16th. With a close of the 27th next month.
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

I guess the UK is devoid of JETs this year. I would have thought someone would have said something by now.
    Last edited by haitch40; October 25th, 2015 at 02:00.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

They are all in reddit/Facebook I imagine.

That reminds me, if I ever was to be accepted (doubtful ) I gotta start promoting the program, basically no one in PR knows about it, cause they don't bother making presentations in our universities.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; October 25th, 2015 at 04:46.

If you get an interview, tell them that after you've done jet you'll want to tell people in your area about that. They love hearing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post

They are all in reddit/Facebook I imagine.
    I only found 3 in the FB group.

I've been lurking for a while. Almost finished my application but had a stupid question, Some of the fields that are required but not applicable can't be left blanked or else it won't let me save. I've put in N/A in those fields, e.g. The "Classroom Teaching" section. Is this right or am I suppose to do something else? Appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by thatitguy View Post
    I've been lurking for a while. Almost finished my application but had a stupid question, Some of the fields that are required but not applicable can't be left blanked or else it won't let me save. I've put in N/A in those fields, e.g. The "Classroom Teaching" section. Is this right or am I suppose to do something else? Appreciate the help
    I put N/A and then set any start and end dates to the date I submitted it.
    Last edited by haitch40; October 26th, 2015 at 08:37.

Hello, I'm also a UK applicant this year (Scotland) - how are you guys getting on with the application?

Hello, half way through my application now... Just got to make sure my personal statement is up to scratch.

Hello folks, for question 17 (regarding international experience) did people put 300 words or 300 characters? The form says "characters" but the instructions ask for 'all your experiences and situations you have encountered' which is rather difficult to fit into 300 characters.

It's characters.

They want this year's app to be brief and to the point.

Applicant here. Not fancying my chances too much, because I only found myself in a position to apply recently, so I'm so far behind where I should be in terms of preparation. I had looked at the JET programme a few years ago, and really liked the idea but thought I wouldn't have been able to apply. But such is life. I'm applying now. So, hi.

New Applicant here. I've got most of the material together now, I'm just filling out the application itself.

For the Honours, Awards, Scholarships, etc. question, what kind of things are they expecting to hear about? The problem is, I can't think of anything that I've gained in recent years (11 years ago is the most recent thing and even then it was a UK Junior Maths Challenge Award), or anything relevant. I'm fresh out of university and I was a pretty average child at school; didn't really stand out for better or for worse so I'm really perplexed as to what I should put. I don't really want to just write N/A and leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by niconicotrash View Post
    New Applicant here. I've got most of the material together now, I'm just filling out the application itself.

For the Honours, Awards, Scholarships, etc. question, what kind of things are they expecting to hear about? The problem is, I can't think of anything that I've gained in recent years (11 years ago is the most recent thing and even then it was a UK Junior Maths Challenge Award), or anything relevant. I'm fresh out of university and I was a pretty average child at school; didn't really stand out for better or for worse so I'm really perplexed as to what I should put. I don't really want to just write N/A and leave it.
    I just put my Duke of Edinburgh award down there.

Have you seriously not got anything noteworthy of? Maybe you did something at uni?
    Last edited by haitch40; November 2nd, 2015 at 08:23.

In the US one we are expected to add any awards achieved in college or afterwards. (Not from school)

I imagine the UK one is the same, any grants you've achieved?

Ever been part of a club and given a position?

Any recognition for good grades or community service?

Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    In the US one we are expected to add any awards achieved in college or afterwards. (Not from school)

I imagine the UK one is the same, any grants you've achieved?

Ever been part of a club and given a position?

Any recognition for good grades or community service?

Something like that.
    I don't remember it saying anything about when. Just anything that you would put on your CV other than your degree etc.

Thanks for the help! I was just a little worried as I haven't really done anything of note in a few years, I wondered if my high school years were really worth mentioning or not .

Yeah I actually got grilled on why I didn't have major club involvement during university. I told them it was because I was completely involved in practice and performance, which was true. They didn't seem to like that much. Put ANYTHING you did, and be prepared to explain why there isn't more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.